Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I'm not buying that...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by problem-child, Dec 5, 2017.

1. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    If we are just talking aesthetics and not quality/price issues, and guitars I wouldn't even consider anyway (7+ strings, semi-hollows, etc), I would think the following would be deal breakers:

- rounded fingerboard profile, <9"
    - Anything smaller than Jumbo fret wire
    - bigsby bridge
    - home-made relic jobs

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 10:01 PM

2. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I'm promiscuous, I'll take them all home.

3. ido1957

ido1957 Strat-O-Master

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    What "feature" will make you turn away from a guitar?

Stock, Black or White. Les Paul or Strat.

4. Scimmy

Scimmy Strat-Talker

Jun 3, 2016
    Sunderland UK
    And me!

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

5. cappei

cappei Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2017
    Quillota, Valparaíso, Chile
    And i thought that changing the pups and pots was a long shot hehehe

So it will never slip away when playin' seated, talk about a perfect fit hehehe

Believer7713 likes this.

6. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    No offense intended but I've never liked those 1979 Anniversary strats like the one you have for your avatar OP, I've always thought they looked really silly and could never see myself playing one. Not really a huge fan of any of the anniversary buttons they've use on headstocks either. Heavy guitars are another turn off for me and generally anything from the 70s I'm cautious of.

7. BradL

BradL Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2010
    Sussex, UK
    Handily they have a Pre-CBS Strats forum here encapsulating all my favourite design specs.

Fender themselves subsequently helped me out by making vintage re-issue lines with model codes like "57" and "62".

I tend not to stray too far from those blue prints.

Nate D and problem-child like this.

8. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    Apart from altered serial numbers or the suspicion of theft, there’s very little that will disqualify a guitar for me if the price is right.

I like ‘em weird.

I do hate broken truss rods and warped necks.

9. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Pointy anything (except a flying V).
    Any reversed body.
    Dean headstocks.
    Floyd Rose.
    On a Strat, anything other than a vintage 6 point trem or a proper string through hardtail.
    Top loading bridges.
    Any relic that isn't nitro and at least 50 years old.
    "Cigarette" burn behind the nut. Unless you tucked a nonfilter there and forgot about it...
    Any routing done with anything other than a router- spade type wood bit, multiple holes with a drill bit that are connected.
    Anything removed between the spring cavity and the body route.
    Poor modifications that can't be set back to stock.
    Mary Kay blonde (don't care for that color, looks unfinished).
    Sunburst with a too wide black band, makes me think of a cheap guitar with a one piece top sandwiched over multi-piece body.
    Lack of hardcase.
    Price.

Believer7713 and Stark like this.

10. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Stickers.
    Any writing anywhere, except on the PG.
    Carving unless its hidden.

11. problem-child

problem-child Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    No offense taken. We are all individuals and have our own idea of what is good and not so good. That's what makes Strat-Talk a fun place to hang out. I'm glad to see this thread has become a place to state these opinions and not a "mine is bigger than yours" shouting match.

That 79 Anni strat was released when I was a kid. I had been playing about 1-2 years and I used to go to the little mom and pop music store in the mall and lust after it. They even let me play it once! I was in heaven... I always said, some day.

altar likes this.

12. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    Very few guitars tickle my desire so I believe my list is probably incredibly long and Petty. #1?

• Gold hardware

13. problem-child

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    There is a 52 (I think) AVRI Tele on CL in a town nearby for $750... The neck plate has been changed. Great price, but I have had a guitar stolen so I refuse to consider anything that has signs of a possible dark past. I figure if everyone did that, there would be less incentive to steal one. Pollyannish, I know.

14. scottf

scottf Strat-Talk Member

Nov 13, 2017
    West Virginia
    Floyd Rose.

More than 6 strings. Hell I'm almost a bass player now. LOL
    Ibanez.. Don't know why but there ya go.

15. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2010
    south texas USA
    Sunbursts. I don't do Sunbursts. ENJOY!!!

16. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I'd say a relic job. I'm just not into the relic thing. Or a rough body, like Fender's "Sandblasted" Strats they produced a couple years ago.

Vintage tuners is also something I dislike, but those can be replaced.

If you are okay with the tuners that come with a guitar, then what's the problem with aftermarket tuners? If you bought a guitar with aftermarket tuners, you couldn't also make those work for you? Some guitars also come with another company's tuners as stock - For instance, G&L often uses Schaller locking tuners if you order locking tuners. Fender's Strat Plus also used Schaller locking tuners as stock.

17. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    One that doesn't keep tune. Everything else is inconsequential. Relic/pristine, color, fretboard, radius, fret size, tuners, bridge, pickup wire, caps, inlays, logo, truss rod adjust location, HSS, HSH, SSS, etc etc etc

I'm easy.

18. problem-child

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    It's the extra holes that often come along with the swap. If they have been changed and there are no new holes I'd be okay with that, but I honestly rarely look that far. Once its says replaced, it gets replaced on my list of potentials.

CalicoSkies likes this.

19. TorontoMapleStrat

TorontoMapleStrat Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Toronto, Canada
    If a Strat is much more than 8 lbs I’m probably walking away.

12” or compound radius no chance

Black Strats. I think I could do any other colour but I hate black. LP I love in black though.

20. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I see what you mean.

Several times, I've had Strats with the modern standard tuners and replaced them with Fender (Ping) locking tuners, and they seem to be a drop-in replacement that don't require any extra holes. Replacing the vintage tuners is a different story though, and I suppose using a different brand of tuner may also require different holes.