I'm not the only one who doesn't like Apple these days

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

And to this day he’s worshipped like a god at Apple.

BuddhaFingas likes this.
  2. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

I worked for them for several years so I am a bit biased, but my take on Apple is they are good at specific things, as a generalist type computer not so great, though people will argue that too.

I have 2 iMacs, one is top of the line I use for recording, it's slower than the PC I just got for gaming and the PC was ~1200$'s less.
    It's funny though, the first thing I do when I get an Imac is toss the mouse and keyboard, utter garbage and designed for some effete turtle neck wearing limp ****.

I switched back to mac when Windows 10 came out, it's the first time I ever got a PC where the OS was the malware, but it seems Billy Gates is all kinds of cozy with all kinds of malware.

Paperback Rocker and Baelzebub like this.
  3. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

My fav story is a dev gets on the elevator with Jobs, and instead of waiting for him to say something decides to say hello.
    Jobs looks at him and says "What do you do for me?"

I'm told at the end of the elevator ride he was unemployed.

Antstrat likes this.
  4. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Silver Member

As a designer I stayed away from computers until they could do what I wanted them to do. Apple was the choice and all had all my designers and office staff on them.
    In 2002 I hired a hot shot who insisted on working on a Windows platform, I grudgingly relented and purchased a big Dell. At the same time my G3 was not up to the tasks I was asking if it so I upgraded to a Mac G4 Quicksilver. It was expensive, yes, about $6000 CND, but that Dell was almost $10,000 CND. Three years later the Dell was dead, sent to the computer bone yard. My old Quicksilver is still going strong.

7B4FBED5-0503-4507-8BCE-02655CCF5632.jpeg

GuitarPix likes this.
  5. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I agree wholeheartedly about Win10. I went to Linux as soon as they announced they were bailing on 7. 8 was like cell phone and I already have one of those. So I dragged out all those old 7 machines, took the authorization codes and set up new computers with a clean install of 7 with no bloatware. Then I took a couple laptops and proceeded to teach myself Linux. Still run some 7 machines and have a few linux machines. Will probably take the 7s off the network at some point, but I haven't downloaded an update since they tried to cram 10 down everyone's throat and I have had zero issues.

6. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah..well with all the major aholes in the valley even he could get his cult onboard. Even bigger one was/is Larry Ellison. The joke around the valley was that the difference between Larry and god was that god didn't think he was Larry.

BuddhaFingas, RobZ69 and Antstrat like this.
  7. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I'll dig out the CDs

8. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

I’ve used both, and am able to use anything. I have systems running OSX, Windows 10, Windows 7, and Linux, and for me, myself, I could use any of them as a prime. However, Apple does have an integrated environment. And for that reason, it works better for my wife and kids.

Cost, Apple for the most part uses higher grade, later processors and parts. When I’ve done spec for spec comparison shopping, versus the say Dell, or HP or IBM/Lenovo, they all ar within spitting distance of each other. And for years, all OS upgrades for Apple were included in the cost. Whereas, when we started, MS was coming out with a new OS that you had to pay for. To be fair, their pace slowed. The apple system included a light photo editor, and garage band and a few other more minor things. That all just worked together.

I have run Parallels for Windows because most of my clients use windows and are windows based. For whatever reason, Windows as a virtual machine in the Apple runs essentially as fast as it does in most Windows native system computers I have used.

I like my iPhone, and Apple has been (IMO) better at overall security and data gathering than Google and the Android system. iPhone and integrates better with an Apple than it does with the Windows machine.

Look, I know I have paid a bit more for my computer than if I had purchased Windows, but for the same spec, not very much. But, every year, Apple seems to slip a little, and every machine replacement is just a little harder to justify. And, to be fair, W10 is closer to OSX every day. And, OSX has had more issues with every upgrade. Maybe Apple needs another AH like Jobs with vision and an iron will as opposed to the supply chain manager they have now.

I know the warts of my system choices. I know the warts of the other systems that I could replace it with. I was a reluctant Apple adopter, for many of the reasons stated here. But, it has worked for me. Also, speaking of AH, Rick Beato seems even in his vids to be on the spectrum. He has great musical knowledge, but why would I listen to him about computers? He is just another user.

9. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Point 1: Rick Beato sure does like clickbaity videos doesn't he? Didn't he use to be a musician? Gotta get that sweet Youtube ad revenue.

Point 2: Apple is still my first choice for just about any product or service, but I'll be the first to admit the quality isn't what it used to be.

Point 3: Apple is the only company I trust with my information, because it wants to keep me as a customer and sell me more Apple products. Every other company offers me stuff for free so it can datamine me and sell what it learns.

10. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 The Wizard next door................

I've never been to that particular Valley, but I have heard the Ellison joke before, nevertheless. It certainly got around.....................:D

11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh I remember when RAM was about $100 per megabyte.

I don't really understand the argument that PCs require a lot of messing around with and Macs just work. Macs do often just work, though I've also heard some people complain about how they had a Mac and had to do a lot of work getting something to work on it.. Also, in my experience, much of the time things on a PC work fairly well too. When I build a PC, generally it goes together fairly well and once I install the OS and drivers, it works fairly well and usually I don't have to mess with things. I feel productive on a PC and often can get plenty of work done without thinking about messing with the OS or the devices.

When you say "30% more efficient and 20% more accurate", what exactly does that mean? And doing what? Both systems let you run software and do work, and you can do much of the same things on both systems. I'm not really sure how one could be significantly more efficient on one than the other. If you get used to it, you can be efficient with it. Also, I think one advantage Windows has had is the hotkeys for a lot of software. It seems like Mac has historically had fewer hotkeys in its software, which meant more clicking around with the mouse, though in recent years I've seen plenty of hotkeys on Macs as well. In Windows though, I've gotten used to the hotkeys which I tend to use fairly frequently. Ctrl-C to copy, Ctrl-X to cut, Ctrl-V to paste, Alt-F4 to close an app, Ctrl-Tab to move between tabs, Ctrl-F4 to close a tab, Alt-Tab to switch between applications, Win key + X for the Quick Access menu, etc.. I like my hotkeys.

12. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Im used to the iPhone, so I stick with it. I don’t like Apple as a company though, and I though Steve Jobs was a tool. I just have an SE, so it isn’t like they extracted much money from me. I don’t want or need a bigger phone; I want the stupid thing to fit in the pocket of my bibs.

13. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-Talker

I’ve had iPhones since the iPhone 3. Always been impressed with them, but I have to admit now I’m looking at my X and thinking why would I upgrade to a £1k+ phone when the new SE with 256GB is only £550 or so - makes perfect sense to me.

used to be into PCs running whingeoes until Apple release OSX at which point I moved over, bought myself a PowerBook G4 and haven’t looked back since. I find them great for what I do (front-end development work, occasionally sipping down the stack with PHP and some SQL, running grunt, NPM etc) and have used them at work exclusively since 2013 or so. Now, in 2015 I spent £1k on a 15” MacBookPro - refurbished - from Apple, and it’s still going strong today. Zero issues whatsoever. In fact, I’m thinking of contracting after all this is over and my MBP will do everything I need just fine. I can’t imagine many Whingeos machines running stable 5 or so years later, although I’m sure there will be some.

macs just work, their OS is a joy to work with, and their integration is second to none in my opinion. I think the most recent stuff has had some flaws though - iOS13 was rushed, and the latest OS doesn’t play nicely with some of the dev work we do, but other than that I see no reason to go to another OS. The devs in my place have a choice of Apple, Ubuntu or Whingeos for their dev machines and we have a healthy mix of platforms which all play nicely together.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  14. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I've noticed a lot of web developers seem to like using Macs, and I'm not sure I understand the connection.. You can do web development well with Windows too, or also Linux. Are there great web development tools that are only available for Mac OS? I do remember seeing one software tool that was only for Mac that was basically a text editor for development with an integrated FTP server & things to make it convenient to save files on a remote site, though I think there are some pretty good web development tools for Windows & Linux as well.

Perhaps one reason I can think of is that using a Mac lets you test a web site with Apple's Safari web browser as well as the popular Windows web browsers on the same machine (running something like Parallels to run Windows on a Mac), since Safari is no longer developed for Windows (as far as I know).

Cyberi4n likes this.
  15. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-Talker

There are no tools I’m aware of that do front-end better on a Mac than anything else. I guess for most of the people I talk to and for me too it’s simply that the hardware feels better and just ‘works’ better, which is why I chose Mac.

simplest analogy I can give is: new network printer turns up at work. I’m given an IP address for it. The OS finds it, instals it, and 10 secs later I’m printing to it. Guy next to me on Whingeos isn’t so lucky, took him 2 mins and a driver download to get it to work.

One thing that really gets my goat is the whole ‘cult of Mac’ thing, and the sneering contempt with which some people hold us Mac users. It’s wrong, unnecessary and says far more about them than it does about us to be fair! “So you bought an Android phone for less than $200 that does everything my iPhone does and more? Great, I’m happy for you, enjoy the experience.”

macs have as many hot keys as PCs, for example all the hot keys mentioned above are all available for Mac as well, and they have this nice feature (which may be on other platforms by now) where you can use hotkeys to open folders in Finder, such as your applications folder, your home folder, your downloads folder etc.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Andrew Wasson likes this.
  16. Circle_H

Circle_H Strat-Talk Member

The only apple product I used is a ipod, the one looks same a iphone, thiner, chrome back but only without call and 3G.

In the day before android phone, thats great I paid half the price of iphone and using 80% of its function.
    (Before ipod, Im using Palm for game and MP3 player)

But I really hate the way to sync the file than copy & paste.

Thus, every phone are overprice now.
    I'll never pay 1k for a phone, when I could use same amount to build myself a PC, with Big Monitor or a partcaster

17. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Macs for me are like the PRSes of the guitar world...a product that works very well and wont disappoint but for the money you spend you can build 2 or 3 pcs with same or even better capabilities...

For me its selling point is and always was its operating system....most non issue OS i have ever used cause i enjoy the simplicity and reliability(with no real need for updates like windows) plus the fact that you can run all the best software available out there for your needs... that is why i use that OS and install it on pcs.If there wasnt for specific software needs though..i would run linux all day.

Having said all of that i still have my old imac running snow leopard as a backup.Well built and still running like a clock....but if i wanted to install an ssd in there and upgrade i would have to call nasa..:D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  18. Circle_H

Circle_H Strat-Talk Member

19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Apple has never been value for money.

Baelzebub likes this.
  20. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    Apple drives me insane. We have no more iphones here and our ipads are obsolete. When the Macbook Pro dies, we're replacing it with a PC.