I'm not the only one who doesn't like Apple these days

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

All I need now is a window sticker of Calvin pissing on the Windows logo.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  2. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Never owned an apple product. Probably never will. Any company with that much proprietary stuff is not one I want to do business with

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

3. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I think Apple has gotten better with some of it. I remember older Apple Macs (PowerMac era) using their own video output ports (though you could buy an adapter to plug standard VGA monitors into them, as they were compatible), and they used to have their ADB ports for mice & keyboards. Current Macs use standard USB ports for keyboards & mice and HDMI connectors for monitors. But for other things, like their iPhones, I don't like that they use their own power connectors, and now they've eliminated the headphone jack from them so you need an adapter for that (and thus can't plug in standard headphones while charging it, from what I've read).

4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

yeah, things have standardized quite a bit. I remember a long time ago there we had to have a special layer in our network that was provided by a piece of software called Wingate IIRC where the Mac and Windows PC’s could recognize one another and share files. Now we have a normal network and the Mac’s PC’s and Linux beasts all cohabitate and share files with one another. File compatibility and font compatibility has improved greatly too.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  5. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

What I’m amused by is that word and excel first gained popularity on Macs - PC users all used WordPerfect and Lotus 123. After a few years people noticed how easy word and excel were and everyone suddenly switched.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  6. GuitarPix

One thing I really like about Apple is that my MacBook Pro and the two Mac Minis, my iPad and my iPhone all share information via iCloud so calendars and data can be the same machine to machine.

If I’m wondering where I put my iPhone Dow or maybe it fell out of a pocket - ‘Find My Mac’ can tell me if it’s in the house or in the car, and it can make the phone make a noise to tell me where it is. If I do lose my phone - which happened in winter a few years ago - I can remotely wipe the phone and lock it down, making it useless to a thief. And when I got the new iPhone all my backed up data including pictures and contacts were downloaded from iCloud and my iPhone instantly become useful. No getting hold of hundreds of people to get their contact info again.

What I hate about Apple is them eliminating user upgrades. I won’t buy a new MacBook Pro or the overpriced Mac Pro. Even the iMac has left me behind.

Thankfully the Mini last year was reasonably priced, had enough power and almost enough I/o ports [emoji3061]. I’m also glad Macs tend to last well over a decade as a very usable machine. My next Mac may well be a PC - hackintosh or WinDoze. Unless they smarten up a bit.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  7. GuitarPix

One of Apple users’ biggest headaches, connecting to devices specifically designed to work with Windows and no attention to Apple users.

8. GuitarPix

The study was of normal everyday office tasks in an accounting firm. Fewer typos, less time on typical tasks. They had several hundred employees.

I remember the first Hard Drive I got to use - 40 MB [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Now I have around 40 Terabytes of hard drives around here (photography, videography and music production - and triple redundancy - or more - on backups, four raid arrays around here, one is unplugged until needed. )

9. CalicoSkies

It depends on who you ask, but one source says Mac market share is almost 10% (I actually thought it would have been more):
    https://netmarketshare.com/apple-ma...9-04","dateEnd":"2020-03","segments":"-1000"}

I can understand companies wanting to target the computers/devices with the biggest market share. But it's still nice to have support in alternate operating systems.

Recently I bought a new Logitech gaming mouse for my PC, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure if all of its features would be supported in Mac OS.. It has additional buttons, DPI adjustable via software, and a logo with an LED light. I don't really care for LED lights, so I like to turn them off if possible.

10. CalicoSkies

One of the frustrating things about building a hackintosh is that you might have to choose parts that are a year or 2 old for maximum compatibility with Mac OS, and possibly still tinker with getting a couple things to work. I thought about doing that but decided not to bother.. I bought the latest hardware available for my new PC I built last June (I had started buying parts a few months before that). I soon bought a graphics card that was released in July for it.. I doubt it would all work in Mac OS.

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

I was an early user of Apple and McIntosh products. We thought we were pretty cool, and the products (mostly just the software) could do things that were amazing for the time, compared to DOS products - this was pre-Windows! I also had a coding background prior to Apple btw.

I too grew suspicious of Apple, when I noticed they were buying up small companies, and relabeling their IP, and taking credit for development! Remember the Archos MP3 player? Apple did not develop the mp3 player (iPod) technology, but bought out a small company, and then infringed on another companies IP, stole the market and the rest is history. Not nice, and not a command of the state of the art technology, but definitely profitable.

I've stayed with DOS - PC - Windows, and also Android devices just out of convenience and compatibility. I don't have any complaints about android products. But, my latest tablet-laptop purchase, a Surface Pro is absolutely the worst product I've ever purchased - and I returned the first one, and waited a year for the second. I'd return the second one, but my previous Dell became incompatible with a latest application, and I had to upgrade for that one application thanks to Windows 10. I still use my 14 year old Dell for most other stuff, because its more stable and faster with my remaining activity. For the record, both W10 and the native workings of this Surface Pro, are just incompetent at the same exact functionality that I enjoy with a 14 year old Vista machine.

That was a long way of saying, we really need two or more viable choices for our now-necessary household products. I'm taking the bullet for you folks, and sticking with Windows and Android for now!

12. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Just use it.
    Don’t overthink it

Cyberi4n likes this.
  13. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Using Apple products in an organisation saves immense amounts of money and time: IBM, 2019

If you find it hard to use Apple products, that just means you are a low-value employee. Don't feel bad, half of the population is of below-average intelligence.

14. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

Just my 2 cents....

I used windows pretty much exclusively until 10 years ago and moved to mac for a number of reasons. 3 years ago I moved back to windows and now I use windows 10 and android on my phone. Between MS and Google everything is synced perfectly on "one drive" or google drive, google backup etc. I have far less problems with my windows/android based system (2 pcs + surface, all win10) and android phone than my wife does with her imac and iphone, both latest models.

From what I can see, the user experience with windows has improved greatly in the last 10 years, and depreciated with apple products. I have some colleagues who were life-long apple fans who have now moved to either linux or win10.
    I don't regret moving back to windows from apple.

15. CalicoSkies

I think Microsoft has had its share of shady tactics as well. I've heard Microsoft would charge OEMs a Windows license fee for every computer they'd sell, even if the OEM wanted to install a different OS on some of their computers. It's tactics like that which try to force competing products out of the market.. Also, Microsoft often seemed to adopt standards and then change them so that software would only run on Microsoft platforms/products. For instance, when Internet Explorer was a popular web browser, I suspect Microsoft may have purposefully not fixed the bugs and indiosyncracies in Internet Explorer 6, resulting in many web sites that would work well in Internet Explorer but sometimes not work well in other web browsers.

The Archos MP3 player sounds familiar. Also, I remember the Diamond Rio MP3 player being on the market before Apple created their iPod.

Windows has had its ups & downs. 10 years ago, Windows 7 was the latest version, and I thought Windows 7 was one of the best versions of Windows in terms of look & feel and usability. I think Microsoft messed things up a bit with Windows 8 (with its default tablet-style interface) and finally fixed things a bit with Windows 10. Starting with Windows 8 though, and around the same time with other operating systems, I think operating systems in general for computers & mobile devices started to look flat & monotone, which I don't really like. I think the earlier, more 3D & colorful look was better.

Before Windows 7, I think Windows XP was another highlight release for Windows.

16. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I am still waiting for Microsoft to apologize for unleashing Millennium Edition...

GuitarPix and Andrew Wasson like this.
  17. Boubou

As an apology they’ll send you a free copy of Windows 8

18. CalicoSkies

I've heard a lot of people complain about that, but I ran Millennium Edition for a little while and didn't have any problems with it.

[​IMG]

duzie and Andrew Wasson like this.
  19. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I used WinAmp well before Apple got on the MP3 bandwagon. I had a DOS based MP3 ripper that I would queue up and rip songs overnight and when I was at work. This was back in 1997. It would take hours to rip one song.

In about 2001 I went to one of the Macworld simulcasts with my wife and they had a big introduction for the iPod and this new MP3 music format, etc. They were really excited... I was kind of baffled at all the excitement because I'd been playing MP3's for about 4 years and had a computer media player rigged up at our home using Winamp and various other bits of software. My wife leaned over and said, I don't get it... Everyone's freaking out about this but you've already been doing this on your PC for years. I agreed as we watched everyone freaking out.

I guess in retrospect we were watching the Apple marketing machine at work. They packaged it up nicely and made it work really easily compared to the system I had cobbled together. When they released iTunes then it became super easy to rip and catalogue your music. I used it to re-rip all of my CD's and I use it on my latest media centre which is a Raspberry Pi running a media software called Volumio.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  20. Boubou

Loved WinAmp, had the cow skin