I'm planning on getting myself a new amp for Christmas

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
Hopefully. Anyway best to start researching now. These are catching my eye, all heads, I plan on a separate cab:

Fender Supersonic 22
Bassbreaker 15
DSL20
Peavey Classic 20 MH
PRS Archon 50
Mesa Mark Five: 25

Thoughts? Alternative heads that might interest me? Warnings? The Supersonic is current favorite, but I will be doing a lot of research. Ideally I'd like to play through it first.

I want something solid and reliable in this ballpark. Two channels, tubes, no modeling.

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
I, on the other hand, prefer the Mesa out that bunch simply because there are so many great sounds you can get from it. You just can't pretend the volume on one channel should be where the volume on the other channel is because you think they should reflect the rough same experienced volume. And you can't be a person who is afraid to get very far from 12-o-clock on the knobs to get the sound you want. Each channel was a different animal, to me.

circles

May 26, 2013
West Seattle
I can say that I really wanted to like that Mesa, but I couldn’t. Too complicated or something, I couldn’t get a good sound out of it.
You know, I had a Mesa combo for a while. A very good amp, but I didn't mind meld with it.

Anecdote: I got at the Hollywood store. I was buying it at the same time as a friend was buying one. He nudged me and said 'hey that guy is (forgot the name, ran Mesa or something) we should get him to sign it.' I declined.

Sweet Pea on the warm SS. We miss you Sweet Pea!

IMG_3507.JPG

henderman

Dr. Stratster
Dec 4, 2013
largo,fl
unless you have bat ears or are a gear wizard, mesa amps need to be tried with the suggested settings in the manual cuz they are somehow different animals.

i think trying amps with your gear is the way to know if an amp is for you.

and even 5 watts of tube is loud !

good luck on the search.

circles

May 26, 2013
West Seattle
unless you have bat ears or are a gear wizard, mesa amps need to be tried with the suggested settings in the manual cuz they are somehow different animals.

i think trying amps with your gear is the way to know if an amp is for you.

and even 5 watts of tube is loud !

good luck on the search.
I'm not averse to a 5 watt amp. I'm planning a weekend excursion to many of the music stores around here and plug in whatever I can. If I plug in a 5 watter into a nice two speaker cab and it impresses me, I'm open to that. I just need to know I can stand up to an aggressive drummer lol.

2fd43k.jpg

I think what frustrates me is when a store claims to carry an amp line, and only has 2 or 3 from the line to actually play, that's pretty weak.

henderman

Dr. Stratster
Dec 4, 2013
largo,fl
i normally thumbs down guitar center but i bought a used amp from an out of state gc store, shipped to my home and returnable locally, except for the shipping, which was low. i do not know if they still offer that...

but being able to try an amp i could not find locally paid off for me.

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US
Supersonic 22
Looks very interesting to me.

I have a Bassbreaker 007 it quit after a year and I had to change a power trans on it.

The 15 watt has an effects loop but I read that it’s noisy…on the internet.
My 007 has a noisy line out that I verified, but does not even have an effects loop.

There are so many amps to consider out there, getting input about it now is a good idea.

Last edited: