I'm planning on getting myself a new amp for Christmas

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
I'm willing to entertain an Orange, but would definitely have to play it. Their appearance turns me off, but I can get used to it if I like the amp.
Just reread your OP, I have a Rocker 15, it has 2 channels, dirty and clean, 0.5, 1, 7, 15 watts, it also come as a head.
I also have a Swart Space tone 6v6 se and whenever I play with it i start fiddling with knobs to try to make it sound good, not so with the Orange it just sounds good. Anyways, everyone is always telling the others to try what they like so, if you see one, give it a try, you might be surprised, or not!

dspellman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm not averse to a 5 watt amp. I'm planning a weekend excursion to many of the music stores around here and plug in whatever I can. If I plug in a 5 watter into a nice two speaker cab and it impresses me, I'm open to that. I just need to know I can stand up to an aggressive drummer lol.
I have a few "little" amps but rarely use them. I'm mostly using the modeler and a pair of studio monitors.

BUT. If I had to run out and get an amp to stand up to an aggressive drummer, I'd take $350 (might need a few bucks more these days), pull up Craigslist and find a Carvin Belair (2x12) or an XV112E (X100 combo with a single 12"). I'm cheating, because I already have both.

The Belair is an EL84-based amp, 50W RMS, a pair of Vintage30s, two channels. One of the best clean channels on the planet, a spring reverb tank and a SOAK (gain) channel that was designed with Allan Holdsworth.

The XV112E is an EL-34-based amp, 100W RMS (can be throttled back to 50 and 25W) with a great clean channel and a serious gain channel along with active tone controls and an active five-band graphic EQ. Think early Mesa single 12. The E model contains an EV-L.

Both can be used at bedroom velocities, but both will stand up to a Marshall full stack and aggro drummer. Easily.

blasphemoustrat

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 9, 2011
Pa
I would point at the prs... Also... Make sure you try a PRS MT-15.... It's way more than enough to keep up with a loud drummer, the clean channel with a spark boost goes all the way past srv screaming tone and the dirt channel has more gain than anyone could possibly need. It's small watt but still uses full size el34s and gives up nothing. I love mine to death

I would also recommend any traynor amps that you happen across. Those are top notch.

EC Strat

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 16, 2018
Louisville Kentucky
The DSL 20 doesn’t have a clean channel really and low head room.

I wanted to like the Mesa Mark V badly but just didn’t bond with one I played at the Gibson garage. Same with their dual rectifier. But I did love the Fillmore - perhaps check that one out. They can be had for 1200$ used 25w head They sound great

Bassbreaker - meh

I’d really give a hard look at the Peavey. Their Delta Blues amp is pretty nice.

touch of gray

Strat-O-Master
Jul 10, 2022
Bismarck, ND
Hopefully. Anyway best to start researching now. These are catching my eye, all heads, I plan on a separate cab:

Fender Supersonic 22
Bassbreaker 15
DSL20
Peavey Classic 20 MH
PRS Archon 50
Mesa Mark Five: 25

Thoughts? Alternative heads that might interest me? Warnings? The Supersonic is current favorite, but I will be doing a lot of research. Ideally I'd like to play through it first.

I want something solid and reliable in this ballpark. Two channels, tubes, no modeling.
I really like the Orange Rocker 32 2x10. A ton of features including stereo and power scaling, clean channel for pedals plus an overdrive channel. And reasonably priced. Am thinking about getting one to run wet-dry with my Vibrolux.

The Ballzz

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 26, 2014
LAS VEGAS , NV
Hopefully. Anyway best to start researching now. These are catching my eye, all heads, I plan on a separate cab:

Fender Supersonic 22
Bassbreaker 15
DSL20
Peavey Classic 20 MH
PRS Archon 50

Thoughts? Alternative heads that might interest me? Warnings? The Supersonic is current favorite, but I will be doing a lot of research. Ideally I'd like to play through it first.

I want something solid and reliable in this ballpark. Two channels, tubes, no modeling.

Nice list! You should add to that list a Marshall SV20. Even if only the combo is in the store, play/use it as a head plugged into a cab! The tones, dynamic response and tactile feel are simply to die for!
Just Sayin'
Gene

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
Nice list! You should add to that list a Marshall SV20. Even if only the combo is in the store, play/use it as a head plugged into a cab! The tones, dynamic response and tactile feel are simply to die for!
Just Sayin'
Gene
Thanks! I hope to play all the heads I can get my hands on. If I have to, I'll interpolate from there.

Hmmm I will investigate the SV.

SIngles Forever

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 14, 2019
Montreal

Fender Supersonic 22
Bassbreaker 15
DSL20
Peavey Classic 20 MH
PRS Archon 50

What kind of sound do you want?

dante1963

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 28, 2016
St. Louis
If you could find one to try, you might want to take a look at the Magnatone Super Fifteen.

I played through one once at local mom and pop. I was impressed.

Very bright and a little Vox-like.

But a great tone, I thought.

Cerb

Anti conformist reformist
Jan 22, 2016
Sweden
That's what I was about to suggest. Mine's amazing.