improv challenge #820b special edition ii V i in Cmin

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by of this world, Jul 18, 2021.

1. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

okay, i dont love this take. it's just the first one i got through... i'll work on this some more... to be honest i wish i had not used a track in harmonic minor cuz i couldnt get away from those halfsteps.... ugh... its like i had no choice.

edit: i nixed it - its still on my soundcloud page if you must listen but the next one down is the one id rather you hear if you only want to hear one...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  2. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

upload_2021-7-19_22-46-33.jpeg

Huh? :D

of this world and fezz parka like this.
  3. of this world

okay i like this one a lot more... it was the next one i did, which happened to be a few minutes ago. i ate salmon. i think it helped.

Raimonds, Mouse, simoncroft and 2 others like this.
  4. Dare1

Dare1 Most Honored Senior Member

Just saw this one, I'll join in tomorrow for sure. Love the track

of this world and simoncroft like this.
  5. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Senior Stratmaster

Experimenting with the Quilter direct into the mixer. Much cleaner than 820A. Used the Epi Swingster. Got lost afew times. I mostly just wailed away in Cm pentatonic.

6. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

One odd bit of business along these lines. I often use the harm. minor with the IIm minor chord in a ii,V sequence. (In A, e.g., I play the B harm minor over the Bm chord) It feels just "outside" enough to be interesting, yet it has its own logic, and in any case the II V is supposed to sound a little unstable, after all, as a quirky interlude to be resolved in the I. That's also why in a II V like to find a way to incorporate a lot of diminshed scales/chords, even the odd augmented moment, lots of chromatic mumbling. Django diminished up a storm, and I got the dim. habit from him. One thing I have taken advantage of is that in the harm minor, the 7,1,2,3 make up a fragment of a diminished scale (in A, e.g., G#,A,B,C), and diminished scales can float with their own cockamamie logic off to the sorts of odd places which are interesting in the weirdfest that the II V thing can, maybe should, be. Pardon the hopelessly untechnical nature of this: I'm just trying to allude to something I screw around with. I just enjoy seeing how "outside" I can get without ceasing to make any musical sense whatsoever. It's a game: it's ALL a game. I try to take the word "play" seriously, and the II V is sort of the ultimate playpen.

One other little thing. Does anyone else ever reverse the two and go V ii rather than ii V? I do that all the time. It sounds wrongly right to me. From th ii, you can then just return to the I, or wander off somewhere to return later.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    of this world and simoncroft like this.
  7. of this world

that's a nice take Dave! a nice groove nice phrases and perfect tone... fun to listen to, too!

Sounds great.. lots of ideas that i wish i'd had. and your speed! swinging and suave...

@Relaxing at Cam Picking out a tune! nice.

you really warmed into it Si! I'm really blown away by the credible takes... my own is such crapl But still its nice to hear people stretching out and sounding good!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  8. Dare1

Dare1 Most Honored Senior Member

9. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

Well, thank you, but don't put yourself down. I think you've been playing really well, especially since "they let you out". :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Scott Baxendale and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  10. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

my poor attempt to follow the chords and sound jazzy

11. PatrickM

PatrickM Strat-Talk Member

This one was quite challenging for me. Hopefully, at least I learned something new through my struggleso play over this. Thanks for putting this up Monte.

Kerry Brown likes this.