improv invite #2022-55 (while Monte is on sabbatical)

IsaiasO

Strat-O-Master
Jun 11, 2019
Maryland, USA

Nice start, @Relaxing at Cam .

Here's a little guidance. I hope you find it helpful.

B Aeolian.png

Above is a diagram of the guitar neck, nut to the left at fret zero, tuned E (low/bottom) to E (high/top) and fret space numbers lined across the top. (1 thru 22) The neck diagram is oriented as if you were holding the guitar in the normal position and looking down at the strings.

Everything colored in blue are all of the notes that you can use in this song. I'd like you to just use the dark blues ones for now. Try playing along with the backing track again, but concentrate on using the dark blue notes only.

It would be helpful to look at the notes as if they fall into a pattern. Remember the pattern. Practice it until it becomes automatic.

After you get the pattern down, you can try to put some feeling into what you're playing, but don't get frustrated...it takes a good long time just to get the notes to be automatic and to use your ears to decide what note sounds good at each point in a song.

The secret is that songs in B Aeolian (a.k.a., B Minor) will have, with few exceptions, the same notes in them. So, now, after mastering this pattern, you can apply it to other songs in B Minor.

Last edited:

Alan L Cole

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 29, 2018
NY
Thanks @simoncroft @Relaxing at Cam and @Alan L Cole for participating.

I'm not going to blow smoke. You know what your strengths and weaknesses are as I know mine. We all need to strive to do better whether it be timing, thematic development or musical vocabularity. One step at a time, eh?

Right. Let's get on with it.
Weaknesses, what...

I don't worry about comments IsaiasO, making or receiving them. Thanks for providing the nice backer.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Thanks for grabbing the torch @IsaiasO while Monte is on sabbatical. One and done for me as well. Nothing fancy here. Just keeping the lines simple and hopefully not stepping on a nice atmosphere of the backing track.

P.S. - I always forget my eBand has a Solo button where you can assign another patch and switch on the fly so I used that here for a solo section.

IsaiasO

Strat-O-Master
Jun 11, 2019
Maryland, USA
Thanks for grabbing the torch @IsaiasO while Monte is on sabbatical. One and done for me as well. Nothing fancy here. Just keeping the lines simple and hopefully not stepping on a nice atmosphere of the backing track.

P.S. - I always forget my eBand has a Solo button where you can assign another patch and switch on the fly so I used that here for a solo section.

That patch change in your recording reminds me of one that I use on my Zoom multi-effects pedal. Lately this setup is what I've been using:

IMG_20220927_113100.jpg

Left to right:

1. Zoom MultiStomp for reverb and delay effects (because the Zoom G1on runs out of space to chain effects, usually at the expense of reverb and delay)
2. Boss EQ-200 - currently, set flat and used to boost the signal a few db if needed
3. Zoom G1on multi-effect pedal (reprogrammed using the Tonelib-Zoom program to change the sequence so that patches that I use are easier to navigate to)
4. NuX Loop Core looper pedal - this is where the "single-take" magic happens. The entire signal chain is pushed into the 6mm stereo jack at the top side of the pedal. This pedal captures the recording in a digital WAV file that can be downloaded from the device through a USB connector on the front top side of the pedal---no DAW required.

I use a pair of NuX B-2 Wireless Receiver/Transmitter units to get the guitar to the mono input of the Zoom G1on. I use these to help isolate hum and eliminate impedance issues created by cable connections to the input of the G1on---works very well for that purpose.

Signal levels are adjusted at my laptop (backing track level which is pushed in through the G1on's 6mm jack on it's top side) and at the "Master" volume of the G1on and can be tweaked some more in any of the patches. Everything is running in stereo. I listen to the mix through headphones connected to the Out-L and Out-R of the NuX Loop Core.

It's a simple set-up---no frills, tailored for these improvs. That is what I used to record the last few tracks that I've posted, here, to Strat-Talk.

Thanks for joining this thread; another voice, set of ideas, tones and techniques to ponder.

Last edited:

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
That patch change in your recording reminds me of one that I use on my Zoom multi-effects pedal. Lately this setup is what I've been using:

View attachment 595140

Left to right:

1. Zoom MultiStomp for reverb and delay effects (because the Zoom G1on runs out of space to chain effects, usually at the expense of reverb and delay)
2. Boss EQ-200 - currently, set flat and used to boost the signal about +6db if needed
3. Zoom G1on multi-effect pedal (reprogrammed using the Tonelib-Zoom program to change the sequence so that patches that I use are easier to navigate to)
4. NuX Loop Core looper pedal - this is where the "single-take" magic happens. The entire signal chain is pushed into the 6mm stereo jack at the top side of the pedal. This pedal captures the recording in a digital WAV file that can be downloaded from the device through a USB connector on the front top side of the pedal---no DAW required.

I use a pair of NuX B-2 Wireless Receiver/Transmitter units to get the guitar to the mono input of the Zoom G1on. I use these to help isolate hum and eliminate impedance issues created by cable connections to the input of the G1on---works very well for that purpose.

Signal levels are adjusted at my laptop (backing track level which is pushed in through the G1on's 6mm jack on it's top side) and at the "Master" volume of the G1on and can be tweaked some more in any of the patches. Everything is running in stereo. I listen to the mix through headphones connected to the Out-L and Out-R of the NuX Loop Core.

It's a simple set-up---no frills, tailored for these improvs. That is what I used to record the last few tracks that I've posted, here, to Strat-Talk.

Thanks for joining this thread; another voice, set of ideas, tones and techniques to ponder.

Cool setup. For these challenges mine is simple. I load up the backing track onto a USB drive and plug that into my eBand. Pick a tone (or two), match my level to the backing track, hit record and play. The output is a wav file of the combined backing track and what you played. No chance for editing at this point. From there I’ll usually cut out any count in and fade the track out in Audacity.

8A82D94D-33EE-4269-B4C6-67A79244FA5C.jpeg

IsaiasO

Strat-O-Master
Jun 11, 2019
Maryland, USA
Cool setup. For these challenges mine is simple. I load up the backing track onto a USB drive and plug that into my eBand. Pick a tone (or two), match my level to the backing track, hit record and play. The output is a wav file of the combined backing track and what you played. No chance for editing at this point. From there I’ll usually cut out any count in and fade the track out in Audacity.

View attachment 595195

Yes, that appears even simpler. I'm guessing that you have a pedal board on the floor, too...maybe?

Last edited:

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Yes, that appears even simpler. I'm guessing that you have a pedal board on the floor, too...maybe?

I do have a footswitch that is assignable and I can assign the "solo" button to it for switching on the fly. For this tune though I had the eBand on my work desk and just pressed the solo button by hand. :D