In a rut: What do you do to break out?

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
Ive been learning 10 Steely Dan songs for a developing tribute band. I get to try to be ten different dudes in one "style". Its super fun and Im learning a ton.
1) Elliot Randall (Reelin' In The Years)
2) Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter (Bodhisattva, My Old School, Rikki)
3) Denny Dias (Do It Again, Bodhisattva, Your Gold Teeth II)
4) Jay Graydon (Peg)
5) Larry Carlton (Kid Charlemagne, The Royal Scam, Daddy Don't Live )
6) Dean Parks (Rose Darling, Haitian Divorce)
7) Rick Derringer (Show Biz Kids, Chain Lightning)
and Walter Becker, of course (Josie, The Fez).

Who are the other two?
(Somehow i doubt that one of them is Wayne Krantz, but...)

Last edited:

amstratnut

Peace thru Music.
Dec 1, 2009
My house.
1) Elliot Randall (Reelin' In The Years)
2) Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter (Bodhisattva, My Old School, Rikki)
3) Denny Dias (Do It Again, Bodhisattva, Your Gold Teeth II)
4) Jay Graydon (Peg)
5) Larry Carlton (Kid Charlemagne, The Royal Scam, Daddy Don't Live )
6) Dean Parks (Rose Darling, Haitian Divorce)
7) Rick Derringer (Show Biz Kids, Chain Lightning)
and Walter Becker, of course (Josie, The Fez).

Who are the other two?
(Somehow i doubt that one of them is Wayne Krantz, but...)

The songs we are covering are. I was guessing how many guys. Its still a fun learning experience.

1. Kid Charlemagne LC
2. Do It Again
3. Babylon Sisters
4. Peg Jay Graydon
5. Josie Becker
6. Rikki
7. My old School Baxter
8. Reeling. Baxter/Randall
9. Black Friday
10. Dirty Work

Eagle

Strat-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 25, 2017
Virginia
Take a break
I've found this to be the best remedy for me. Then when the dust has settled I'll just pick up my axe with nothing in mind and just follow where it takes me. I always end up going to new places with a fresh perspective.

LedZepconcertvet

Strat-O-Master
Jan 23, 2022
Sinks Grove, WV
I'm learning blues, and I feel like I'm the Okayest blues player in town. But...I also feel like I'm in a rut. Trying new backing tracks and working with a relative who helps me learn new stuff, but still feel like I'm not making progress. Does this happen to you? What do you do to break out of a rut?

If this is not the correct forum for this question, please advise and I will post elsewhere.

Thanks
I'm there the majority of the time. I never case up my guitar when I suffer a setback, just keep trying for incremental victories. Some come soon, some don't.But when that breakthrough comes, God knows I feel great, even if nobody is around.

CyFan4036

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2018
You are here
I stop playing for a while. Several days to a couple of weeks off from playing always works for me. But I think about different ideas during the down time and that leads me to breakthroughs nearly every time.

Toppalini

Strat-Talker
Dec 16, 2022
Portland OR
Challenge yourself with something you think might be over your head.
Makes ya work a little harder and when ya finally get it...and ya will, you'll feel like ya made a giant leap.

Then do it again
This is good advice but this is also kind of what gets me stuck in ruts. Because usually when I go to learn something, it's beyond my current abilities to some extent. Maybe it's a technique I'm just not quite used to, or maybe it's just really technical. But I spend so much time learning that new thing, that I tend not to learn anything else. It has helped me get my technical abilities up really fast. But I don't know very many songs, and I'm wondering if I just learned more songs that took less time, that would help me more from a musical ability point of view instead of just a technical skill point of view.

As I get better it takes me less and less time to learn a new thing, and everything starts to relate more to my skill set so, learning something new usually isn't learning something entirely new.

Willie D

Pentatonic Hack
Silver Member
Dec 15, 2006
Reading over yer shoulder
I try learning or playing something in a different genre than I'm used to.
Here lately I've been working on simple solo fingerstyle acoustic arrangements of familiar songs, and it's made me a better guitarist.
It also points out places I'm sloppy and shows me where I need to clean up my technique. Solo fingerstyle on nylon strings will show you your flaws REAL fast.

Will Lefeurve

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
Take it from an oldie.. we all hit the wall at different times. My recipe for success is simple.. if you're into backing tracks.. play to every conceivable style of music available. You'll not only learn to pick out a melody fairly quickly, your note choice and phrasing will expand at the same time.. almost.. effortlessly.. :thumb: