In my opinion......

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

No stated facts, no charts n graphs, no frequency analyzer readings, just what's floating in my head.

Ever wonder:

How come this new amp that made my innards tingle at the guitar store doesn't sound the same now that it's in my house?

Last night I was having the time of my life playing away, amazing tone! Yet today, same amp, same guitar, same amp settings, it sounds a bit off?

*Note: I will exclude pedals in this discussion because I want to.

I think "In my opinion" (hence the title, clever how I worked that in no?) there's a certain amount of pre conceived anticipated perception on what you would like to hear and in an excitable moment like buying a new amp or strat. And sometimes you hear what you want vs hearing what is.

Therefore, it is my humble opinion that for me (include yourself if you wish, not mandatory) it's roughly 80% ME and 20% gear.

Does this make sense? If I sound confusing PLEASE say so, sometimes what's in my head doesn't always come out the way I intend.

Your thoughts?

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Aah try it again, it should sound fine. The matrix was glitching earlier today.

3. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

I think that most of our hearing, like all our senses, happens in the brain, which allows for large variations in perception from minute to minute.

4. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

Hmmm....is the amp up against a wall at home? Just a thought....space and waves and tings...

5. MartinC

MartinC Strat-Talker

Makes perfect sense. I think a large part of the pickup industry relies on the ME effect. Clever marketing puts all sorts of notions into our heads 'shimmering', 'sparkle'. We spend hard earned money and actually hear these things. Most pickups actually sound pretty similar and a small change in equalisation can give large apparent tonal differences.

6. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Makes total sense. The very reason I nned to own a piece of gear for several months before I know if it's s keeper. That's why I almost always buy used.

jbylake, Antstrat, Nadnitram and 3 others like this.
  7. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

It’s a trip how moving to a slightly larger or smaller room, carpet vs hard floors, the furniture in the room, etc, etc, can affect tone so dramatically. It can be irritating.

stratobiker, jbylake, Dibbs and 3 others like this.
  8. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

For me totally the player and hearing perception, Some days everything sound great other days meh, its usually me the player Seeing as gear does not change or at least I didn't change anything, I also believe its based on your state of mind (tiered, anxious, happy, brain fried from the grief at work) etc..) it does seem to have some effect, for me anyways :)

9. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

Store versus home? Or store and home good... and then later, home not so much?

The latter, the room. The former...?
    Bad drugs. Or maybe the other way around. Anything to deflect blame.

One day a particular roast of coffee tastes wonderful. The next day it's meh. I conclude that it's me.

Antstrat, StratoMutt and StummerJoe like this.
  10. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

I’ve had the same bass amp for years and since moved, well last year and the amp just doesn’t sound the same. Muffled, dull just not the same. For months I thought it was maybe tubes or just something in the amp failed.

Well I moved the monster away from the wall and positioned more at a angle and holy what I difference. That’s all it was, the speaker cabinet positioning. I was ready to trade it or sell it.

Antstrat and StummerJoe like this.
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Yes!!!

This.....listen to that 80%......but also listen a lot to that 20%..maybe not worth it for all but I feel it is....80+20=100%!!!!! (*_*)

Antstrat likes this.
  12. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Silver Member

My amp seems to sound different every time I turn it on.
    I'm likely nuts but I swear it sounds different when rain is expected, that happened last evening...ok I'm nuts.

13. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

It's the same reason a bottle of wine tastes amazing when you're on vacation but when you find it at home and try it, often it's "meh".

Sounds like a bit of store magic has you bewitched!

14. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

Everything sounds good in the guitar store. The same way everything sounds good in YouTube videos.

15. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Happens to me too. Quite often. I can have the perfect sound dialed in last evening, never touch a thing and it's off the next day. Even after letting the tubes warm up.

I blame little tube goblins that like to mess with your settings overnight! Not enough for you to see, just enough to hear and drive you nuts!:mad:
    goblins.gif

*In all seriousness it boils down to angles = acoustics when comparing from store to home. Day to day at home I still blame the tube goblins. I'll get those little bastards!:mad:

16. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

The room you play an instrument in alters the sound significantly. Put the amp on a stand, play it on the floor. Big room, smaller room.

Anticipation of a given outcome is far from certain with many things.

I'm not sure I'd assign a percentage. Too many variables.

17. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Yes, it makes total sense for reasons others have stated. Same thing happens to me. Hell, Jamvox sounds different every time I start it up. But the real question is didja have a new amp day?

Stonetone, Antstrat and StummerJoe like this.
  18. Deathray

Deathray Senior Stratmaster

I recently found that to be true with my Taylor GS Mini. Sounds much bigger in the bedroom than the living room

Antstrat, StratoMutt and StummerJoe like this.
  19. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

lol I get it.;)

Deathray likes this.
  20. Deathray

Deathray Senior Stratmaster

What, you don’t have a nickname for yours?:p

StummerJoe likes this.