In Praise of G&L

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Caedarn, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Caedarn

Caedarn Strat-Talker

I recently bought a used 2020 G&L Legacy tribute and am really impressed with the quality of it. It compares well to a 2018 Fender Player Strat that I have. In fact, the frets ends on the G&L are significantly smoother than the Player. For the money ($300 used) I think this guitar is quite good.

I bought the Legacy planning to convert it to over to 2 P-90s (Noventa-style) but now I sort of feel bad hacking into this nice guitar.

Nicely done G&L!

2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

They make great guitars, but just don't command the price they should on the resale market. Which makes for great bargains. I bought a Legacy Custom from a member here because the price just got to good to not buy it.

3. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

Great guitars .

4. Supa Necta

Supa Necta Strat-Talk Member

I have 3 and am impressed with all. The 2 USA models have Thiccc necks.

42AC6502-DA59-4B87-AA5D-4B84C870D291.jpeg B5920FDA-99D6-4D4D-931A-0B9B5079C351.jpeg 651C1E27-10AA-4435-B151-7230639DC863.jpeg

5. Caedarn

Caedarn Strat-Talker

Tone Deaf and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

True for both the import Tributes and the US Fullerton and Option Order models but as their popularity grows resale prices have been rising a bit.

The quality level of the Tribute Series is so good it may be costing G&L orders for US builds but with their somewhat limited production capabilities that may not be such a bad thing anyway.

New or used Tributes are a fair bargain. I've owned 5 so far; two ASAT Specials, an L2500 bass, an M2000 bass, and a Kiloton bass, and have 3 of them now. Here's the ASAT and the Kilo.

asat1.jpg
    kiloton1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  7. Caedarn

Caedarn Strat-Talker

I’ve been wondering about how much difference there is between the Tribute and US models given the $700-$1000 price gap.

soulman969 likes this.
  8. Baelzebub

@Caedarn

Well, I don't know what you paid for the Tribute, but the if the used Legacy Custom was $700 more then someone paid you take it away. :D

I'm not sure, but I've noted the same jump in quality of so-called second tier guitars in several brands where I think that holds true. Or at least where it's very hard to justify the price differentials.

Fender's Players are as good as some American builds. Their Indonesian ones are catching up, but essentially the differentials in quality are what they used to be between Corona/Ensenda, more or less.

The situation IMO is even more unbalanced with regard to Gibsons over Epiphones. The lastest "Inspired by Gibson" LP Customs are 1/3 or less the price of a Gibson LP Custom. Main difference I can see is slightly better pups..burstbuckers over probuckers.

Lots of new low end players too..where quality isn't good, (perfect for entry level that want to learn to work on their own guitars). Hell..HB sells guitars for about $10 more than they sell a kit for the same guitar.

I'm finding myself, personally, gravitating towards my guitars that cost me under $750 and the custom ones which are several thousand. But the middle market ones, the AmPro, the Fat Strat Tx. Spec. and maybe even the Clapton, just don't get that much play and/or are already listed for sale. (and the Epi LP Custom but only because I have 3 LP's so that one has to go). After that the highest price guitar, in the rack, will be an American Tele.

I'll keep that because it's beautiful...and then the G&L, Baja, coupla partscasters, (with more to be built), Yamaha, Kelley, resonator and my only remaining pure strat, a Diamon Anniv. American.

So I think it's a great time to be a guitar player..so many nice things to choose from.

It's still too many but when I get there I'll see what's really important to keep at that point.

I can tell you, if I do buy any more production guitars at any point, it's not likely to be new, nor in the over $1000 range. I got good guitars and a good assortment, so I'll buy low priced stuff I can maybe work on or swap parts between.

9. Baelzebub

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. Baelzebub

+1 I'd be interested to know how the compare. My Custom Legacy has the CLF 100's. Looks like your Fiesta Red has the same. How do they sound side by side?

Omar and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Caedarn

Caedarn Strat-Talker

The Legacy Tribute was $300, used but mint.

3bolt79 and soulman969 like this.
  12. Baelzebub

The Legacy CustomI bought has a little wear one chip near the neck pocket, but really clean for a 2014, with a beautiful quartersawn maple neck and I paid $650.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  13. soulman969

Those Tribute models using MFD pickups and Saddle Lock or Dual Fulcrum Bridges are the same as US builds use. Those models using Alnico pickups and other style bridges are using versions made to G&L specs by Cortek the import contract builder and are also very good.

The major differences are there far more finish and spec options available for US Option Order builds, fret work is more highly finished and the frets are Plek'd. Each instrument is essentially "team built" to order in a lower production shop and may be somewhat more unique. A HSC case in also included.

The Fullerton Series models are more like a US built version of the Tribute Series with limited options. These are G&Ls production series instruments comparable to what Fender produces in Corona or in the opinions of many even better.

A note of caution; Several US online dealers offer Limited Edition version Tributes. These models may not be identical to the standard Tribute Series in all respects. They are essentially higher volume factory special orders produce in just one or two finishes for GC, MF, Sweetwater, and a few other dealers. These models are not inspected by G&L before shipment to the dealers so final inspection and any needed work is on the dealer.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  14. Baelzebub

Thanks for clarifying the terminology for me. I referred to mine as a "Fullerton" before I think. It's a Legacy Custom built there. I didn't realize Fullerton was a term of art.

I knew about that caution..I heard some bad reviews of some of the MF Tributes.

drp146, Omar, 3bolt79 and 1 other person like this.
  15. soulman969

Overall I've been very pleased with all of my Tributes. I have several good friends who've ordered US builds so we've been able to compare them to my Tributes very easily.

Other than the obvious differences in finish and spec options the major difference is the Plek'd frets and better overall finishing of the frets. Other components are much the same.

You can notice a difference but not enough to warrant spending $800-$1000 more in most cases and with added custom options is can be even more. But you do get a HSC.

To me the US Option Order build is the route to go for anyone who wants customs specs and a finish that's more unique than most other companies offer. G&L does this well.

Personally I'm good with those options Tributes provide and their finishes and playability are exceptional. Unlike many Fenders there is virtually nothing to upgrade.

drp146, 3bolt79 and Cali Dude like this.
  16. soulman969

drp146 and 3bolt79 like this.
  17. soulman969

Awhile ago G&L got so swamped with dealer orders for Option Order builds they decided to produce the Fullerton Series of US builds with just a few different models and limited options.

So in essence they now have three series. Tribute, Fullerton, and Option Order plus a small custom shop for orders that a truly one of a kind. Used G&Ls are some of the best bargains around.

It's kind of a shame G&L chose to go down the road of having Cort produce those Limited Edition models. Even the term is misleading since once might expect higher quality not lesser quality. Those are the models meant to compete with $300 imports from others but I believe it was a very poor business decision Leo Fender would never have agreed to.

drp146, CB91710 and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. Baelzebub

+1

drp146, 3bolt79 and soulman969 like this.
  19. Supa Necta

Supa Necta Strat-Talk Member

I’ll A/B the 2 ASATs this weekend.

soulman969, 3bolt79 and Caedarn like this.
  20. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Senior Stratmaster

I love my G&L. They do make a fine instrument.