Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

In Theory why do these mode examples work

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by spyglass, Oct 20, 2017.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I once wrote a peice called Locrian Tourbus. Based on a minor7b5 chord as the tonal center. The one that has root on 5th string is really neat voicing. (Its the same as 9th chord with 3rd on 5th string).

davidKOS likes this.

2. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I'm also using over the minor 7b5 chord... well it's the notes from the appegio... but it can just be a dominant 7th also... or a 9th without the root. It goes a few places ...

My fortune cookie says " From error to error, one discovers the entire truth".... go figure

amstratnut likes this.

3. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Well Locrian is the 7th degree. The on the nose use of it is over a full dim or half dim chord.

In the key of C, try B locrian over a Cmaj7. Or G Mixolydian. Or E Phyrgian.
    Cmaj7 = C-E-G-B. 1-3-5-7. :D

davidKOS and Electgumbo like this.

4. pyronym

pyronym Strat-Talker

May 14, 2013
    Baltimore

the obvious which you get...
    To me it looks like he's playing an A major triad over an A base note. then he plays a bminor triad over an a base then a c# minor over an a base etc... the A drone works because it allows the chord tones to resolve to the scale tones in A major(Ionian), it's just like saying we're in a ionian... playing a bminor but don't forget we are in a ionian.... now a c#minor but still in a ionian.... and a dmajor but still in a ionian....

to the why it works with the open e...
    I guess it just makes it more modal if you are droning an e over the A scale chord tones you are making it have a mixolydian home since it's the fifth mode of A.

If you put a capo on the 2nd fret and just covered the 5th and 6th strings you could drone the b over the same triads from the a scale and you'd get a dorian mode of A major type of sound

if you moved the capo down to the C# and played the same triads you'd get a Phrygian sound

so on and so forth....

I think that's right... I sounds right to me.... but that's just youtube vids talking so there's just as good of a chance i'm wrong lol

davidKOS likes this.

5. pyronym

pyronym Strat-Talker

May 14, 2013
    Baltimore
    does that sound like the correct explanation? I feel like it clicked for me so i'd like to know if it's wrong?

6. fezz parka

The E is dominant. That's why it works. :D

davidKOS and Paperback Rocker like this.

7. pyronym

pyronym Strat-Talker

May 14, 2013
    Baltimore
    droning any note from the scale works over all of the triads though was what i was getting at...

8. fezz parka

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on who is listening, and who is playing. "Works" is different for everyone. :D

davidKOS likes this.

9. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    If all you play are the diatonic chords in any major scale over the tonic drone, it all works.

In classical music it's called "pandiatonicism":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandiatonicism

"Pandiatonic music typically uses the diatonic notes freely in dissonant combinations without conventional resolutions and/or without standard chord progressions, but always with a strong sense of tonality due to the absence of chromatics."

So any note sounds OK with the drone - A tonic OR E dominant.

"The following musical works include pandiatonicism.
    Now, my own theory take on this.

Let's stay in A major.

Play the tonic.

Scale degrees 1-3-5. A C# E.

Add the notes of the V chord, which is an E, E G# B.

Stack them up, so you get A C# E G# B.

What chord is that? A maj 9. lovely sound.

But it is a I and V chord at the same time. It does not work in all musical styles, but when it does fit in, well, it's a really rich sonority.

If that's not enough, play an E chord, the same E G# B.

Now stack the IV chord on top of the V and adjust for octaves:

E G# B D F# A.

Now we get a sweet E 11th chord.

That's not enough.

Make the IV chord a full maj7th, D F# A C#. (as in add the I chord - A C# E, the E is already in the V7 chord)

E G# B D F# A C#.....E 13.

We have now used ALL the notes of an A major scale in one chord. A B C# D E F# G# - the 11, 5, 13, dom7, tonic, 9th, and M3rd of the V7 chord. Plus it is the I, IV and V& all at once.

No wonder it works over a I or V drone.

rolandson and fezz parka like this.

10. fezz parka

Great stuff David.

davidKOS likes this.