Indexing Holes In Strat Bodies

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Kharma Bodies, Jun 23, 2021.

1. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

I still don't see why fender would care even slightly, about someone getting burned on the used market.
    I'm not saying it's impossible, maybe you're exactly right, but I think they only care about moving units out the door.
    If anything, fender would like to see the used market go away, not protect buyers of 2nd hand guitars. They don't make a penny from used guitars.

Perhaps people (us used buyers) use the holes for identification purposes, I totally get that.

bldwndp likes this.
  2. Boyd L

Boyd L Strat-Talker

Fender is all about manufacturing technique that results in a profit. Their guitars are essentially factory assembled partscasters, some nice ones perhaps, but they are a product of mass production techniques that Eli Whitney refined nearly 200 years ago.
    They got some machining alignment holes here and there.

Impulsive guppy likes this.
  3. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

^ Isambart Marc Brunel, rope blocks for Royal Navy warships, the woodwork from Brown Bess muskets and the British army boot.

4. holyjaguar

holyjaguar Strat-Talk Member

Keep your Bloody Paws away from my Indexing Hole !!!!!!!!!

Boyd L likes this.
  5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

???

6. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

7. Oldboy

Oldboy Senior Stratmaster

[​IMG]

bldwndp, Doc538 and nadzab like this.
  8. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

Of all the things in this world to find fault with.
    Every manufactured product made has reference marks or lines. I would think your looking for things to be angry about is detrimental to ones mental health. Anything I say after this would not be helpful and probably hurtful. I will only say when the phrase "Don't sweat the small stuff" was created.
    It was for things like this.

Boyd L, SKYDOG4570 and nadzab like this.
  9. Five Aces

Five Aces Strat-Talk Member

Import model? ....made in Switerland?

Doc538 likes this.
  10. SKYDOG4570

SKYDOG4570 Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

My USA pro 2019 doesn't have the crop circles as they are often referred to.

These are assembly line guitars that are cnc routed, get over it, already.

11. MaxE1955

MaxE1955 New Member!

The answer is quite simple. Cost saving and lack of quality consciousness! Most major U.S. companies today are run by “bean counters” and not dedicated owners. All they care about is the bottom line. It’s happening in every industry. That’s why quality across the board is crap anymore. The USA used to lead the way in quality consumer products, then the greed set in and now we are the China of the world!!!! Junk Junk Junk everywhere. Alas, prices continue to spiral upwards as quality continues to suffer. Even the so called “ custom guitars coming out are not up the standards of 30 years ago! Thus endeth the lesson!

12. Glyderslead

Glyderslead Strat-Talker

Well, whoever said that was misleading you. I thought the brand new 1981 3 bolt Fender Stratocaster with the “S” shaped neck I bought was the biggest pile of rubbish I was ever. Of course you only know it’s rubbish when you discover these faults later.

Once bitten twice shy though and never bought a new Fender again....only used and then only after a thorough check and bought at a price that will allow Fenders manufacturing deficiencies to be put right.

13. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

You have obviously never been into a manufacturing facility? In 47 years in the professional luthier business of repairing and restoring vintage guitars of working for some of the most nit picky customers I’ve NEVER heard one person complain about the indexing pin holes in vintage fender guitars which exist both on the bodies and necks.

They aren’t even exposed so why would they be a sign of poor workmanship? The opposite is true here. The indexing pin holes were a genius and really simple technique to consistently make accurate parts.

Have you ever seen a pin router? Or have any understanding of how they work?

This is the industrial machine that produced these bodies and necks and they require indexing pin holes for the part to mount onto the routing jig that shapes the bodies and necks.

Today they are made on CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled) machines and they don’t generally use indexing pins, but hold the part with a vacuum bed and cauls.

Boyd L and Impulsive guppy like this.
  14. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Oh my god.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  15. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

hell as long as they are not wood boring wormholes who really gives a "hmm where's the chocolate ice cream cone when you need it ":mad: found him/her/it upload_2021-6-27_11-1-24.png

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  16. Kharma Bodies

Kharma Bodies Strat-Talk Member

I think Jimi was unfortunately gone by the late 70's

17. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I think it was a facetious post.

Kharma Bodies likes this.
  18. Kharma Bodies

Kharma Bodies Strat-Talk Member

Yes, I get it that their reason is that it's for their CNC machine. My response to this is that it's really poor engineering to put them where it is.

One of my questions was about where they manufacture these guitars using these indexing holes.

Are they specific to Mexico? or another location?

I am reading some posts that mention that, but also I see others that mention that it's in American facilities too.

If it's the cheaper version then I guess it's economies of scale.

I'm pretty sure that Leo kept on improving his manufacturing process and eliminated the disfigurement of the body due to manufacturing processes. Why? Because musical instruments have traditionally been made to be visually beautiful as well as sounding beautiful. It's art, musical and visual. It's my observation.

19. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

I think that quite the contrary, ol' skinflint Leo, who did not play the guitar, nor was he particularly enamored of their appearance himself, would do whatever it took to ensure consistent economical blank-to-body processing. Index holes and all.

While the guitar is being used as Leo intended, nobody can see or hear the index holes.

None of this is intended to invalidate your view of it all. If you don't like them you are in for a tough road pulling pickguards off to check for their non existence before you buy. But have at it! It's what makes the guitar world spin around so dizzyingly. Ish.

rct

20. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I don't know what to say. We could not have more opposite views. To me, the looks, color, shape, logo, aesthetics, anything you can see - that is not important. I don't even consider what color I want, I just buy the one I can find. When I put on an album, I can't see what instruments were being played.

bldwndp and Kharma Bodies like this.