1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Input on planning my first Strat build.

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by va3ext, Apr 23, 2018.

1. va3ext

va3ext Strat-Talker Silver Member

Just a few weeks ago, I bought my youngest son of 15, a Fender Standard Plus Top Tobacco burst. He is loving it so far. Both beautiful looking guitar, & nice to play. 9.5" radius.

Myself, I have a early "A" Serial, 1985 Vintage 57',MIJ Squire that I played in a Country Band many years ago. It has a one piece maple neck with the 7.25" fret-board radius. I thought all Strat necks where the same, not so, as I started to research.
    Back & forth, playing the new Mexican Standard, comparing to my Vintage Squire, I love feel of the 7.25" radius. My son like it as well.

Just recently modded the Squire with a new set of Seymour Duncan lungs.

Bridge: Twangbangert

Middle: SSL-6 RW/RP

Neck: Little' 59

Lots of nice sounds out of it now.

The plans for my new build is going to be a Strat Style, HSH Hardtail, that will try & replicate the Tele, Strat & Gibson Les Paul sound.

Body: I have a beautiful 1-piece solid Walnut, 2" thick for the body. Might be better to make a 2 piece in-case of warpage? Thoughts? We have the use of the local High School CNC to cut out the body. Downloaded some plans for the CNC already. Going to try a mock on MDF first.

Neck: I'm thinking of buying the Compound 7-1/4 to 9-1/2" offered by Musikraft & Best Guitar Parts. Maple neck. Maple fret board. Since I love the feel of my 7-1/4" at the nut, little tight at the upper end.
    Thoughts on the neck?

Pickups:

Bridge: I like the TwangBanger in my Squire, so I'm hoping I can find Humbucker bridge pickup that will sound like a Les Paul, & I can spit to a single coil to have one coil sound like the Twangbanger.

Middle: Might be the SSL-6, or something to give the authentic Strat sound.

Neck: Humbucker.

I will use a 5 way switch, maybe add another single in the pick guard , or the Fender S-1 Volume switch.

I have coming 3-Flamed maple veneer guitar tops, but was thinking a walnut body, flamed maple veneer pick guard, with maple neck & fret board would look quite attractive. I built a Birdseye Maple violin, & have a few Flamed Maple violins & love the look.

Thoughts on my plans? I welcome all input from everyone.

Scott

Nate D likes this.
  2. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

You will like the compound radius neck. If the wood is stable, properly dried and finished well, the one piece body will be fine. Can’t beat the grain of a one piece body. If a joint is done well, it shouldn’t have a negative affect on the guitar. But it won’t add anything good. No worries about the joint if you don’t have one.

Pickups are personal. Any attempt I have made to get Les Paul sounds from a Strat have been futile. Maybe you will have better luck. I don’t try anymore. I have and like both, but I don’t try to get one to sound like the other. Non-standard pickup combos sometime produce unique animals, which can be great.

3. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Well, no humbucker in a Strat will sound like an LP, but you can get a little of that flavor. Check out the Custom Custom, or even the P-Rail. Also, an SSL-6 is a little too hight of an output to sound like 'authentic strat'...you might look at a Five Two or SSL-2.

Nate D likes this.
  4. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

A bridge humbucker makes total sense to me, giving a warmer sound in that position. A Strat has to have that neck single coil sound. Not sure how well split humbuckers do that.

Sometimes a very pale maple fretboard can be too white next to a dark colored body. Some prefer "roasted" maple necks, for a little darker color and possibly increased stability. I've also seen maple fretboards that seem to be tinted a little darker.

Recently, I've been looking at the Robbie Robertson strat configuration, with the middle single coil moved next to the bridge one (there could be something else going on there too). I'm not the greatest fan of the quack positions, and find the bridge and neck combination more useful for me.

5. va3ext

Dave,

Thanks for the ideas on the pickups. I have quite a bit of time before ordering them, so i will look on the website & may ask a few more questions bfore ordering

Thanks,

Scott

Seymour Duncan likes this.
  6. va3ext

Perttime,

I do want the warm sound of a Humbucker, but also like the Tele sound of my Twangbanger.

Sooooo many choices :(.

I am planing on ordering a custom unfinished neck. Yes maple is quite pale by itself, so I will likely tint the finish, matching the flamed maple pickguard.

Finland :), got to love the Sauna. Got one in the yard by the lake & at my cottage. Went to collage in Thunder Bay, Ontario & stayed with an old Finland-er. Had a Sauna almost every evening.

Thanks,

Scott

7. va3ext

A sample piece of my walnut body wood.
    Sanded & linseed oil.

Maybe a brownish tobacco outer burst on the body.

image.jpeg

I bought 3 flamed maple veneer for guitar bodies. Might take some thin plywood panel covered with the flamed maple veneer for the pick guard. Then a unfinished neck, slightly flamed maple. Maybe a light stain on neck & pickguard.

image.jpeg

Just tossing around some ideas.

8. va3ext

My boys & I are making some guitars.

Body blanks ready, necks ordered.

1 - Walnut Hardtail Strat

1 - Gilmour Strat, Basswood

1 - 60's Lake Placid Tele, Basswood

2, 1-piece Walnut,

2, 3-piece Local Black Ash & 2,

3-piece Basswood. image.jpeg

9. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Think about the solution of a conversion neck from Warmoth.That way you ll have the scale length of a les paul,maybe the next most important thing apart from the pickups to get very close to the Lp sound...you ll also have the playability of an Lp and basically you ll end up with a bit of a darker strat for your single coil sound..and on point when it comes to your..LP hum bucker sound ...i think that would be a nice combo for a custom build.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    BuddyHollywood likes this.
  10. va3ext

[​IMG] Re: New Build. Pickup Suggestions
    Well, after a bunch of research, I have decided on a Hardtail, HH, Strat.

Already picked up a Vintage 7-1/4" Fender MIM Maple Neck, making a 1-piece Walnut body of good stable wood I have.

Planning on no pick guard, since I have such a nice piece of walnut. Mounting humbuckers in mounting plates with a control plate cover on the rear.

Pickups:

Bridge: Deciding between the JB SH-4 or STAG MAG SH-3(might be good with 7 1/4" neck radius)

I like the TwangBanger in my Squire, so trying to get a twangy sound on the single-tapped coil

Neck: JAZZ NECK SH-2N

I like clean clear sound that isn't muddy. I usually play country & 50's 60's rock.

Controls:

Going with a 3-way switch for pickup select, & 1-Vol, & 2-Tone, push/pull for coil splitting of both humbuckers.

Now to decide on 250K, 300K, or 500K pots.

image.jpeg

My Strat body traced on the walnut.
    The small piece of walnut at the top of my body has 1 coat of Tru-Oil.

image.jpeg

More thoughts?

Scott

Davey77 likes this.
  11. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

SSL-6 is a hella powerful pickup for middle

12. va3ext

Started the body this afternoon.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Coming along better than anticipated.

Scott

CigBurn likes this.
  13. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

Looks great so far Scott, nice job...

Nadnitram likes this.
  14. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Hard part is done. Nice work. Great grain, especially the front side.

15. va3ext

Routed out my son's David Gilmour Strat copy.

image.jpeg

Some sanding to do yet.

16. va3ext

We got my oldest Son's Tele body routed out today.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A bit of sanding, priming & Lake Placid Blue.

17. va3ext

18. va3ext

19. va3ext

Another Tele this evening.
    Walnut, for a friend's son in Wisconsin.

image.jpeg

Looks fat at bottom from the angle of the pic.
    Bridge covers up the sap pocket near bridge pickup rout.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's going to get a black pick guard.

20. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

What is the neck on the Strat to the right?