Installing lil 59 pickup in Pro 2 Strat

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by NathenFTW, Oct 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. NathenFTW

NathenFTW New Member!

Hey guys!

So Ive been researching about the Lil 59 Seymour Duncan Strat Bridge pickup which id like to buy and install in my American Professional 2 Strat, the issue is that the pro 2 has push pull tone controls where I can split the pickup combinations.

I was wondering if wiring up the lil 59 would create any issues with the push pull?

I don't want to split the Humbucker into a single coil because ive heard that it sounds really bad in mini hum buckers but id instead like to merge the sound with other pickups which is shown in the American pro 2 wiring push pull diagram.

Ive attached links to the American pro 2 wiring diagram and the lil 59 wiring diagram

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/SM_011390XXXX_Am_Pro_II_Stratocaster.pdf

https://www.seymourduncan.com/images/wiring-diagrams/1SCH_2S_5W_1VppSPL_2T.jpg

Thanks!!

2. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

If you don't want to split the coil, follow the exact same wiring diagram as the fender recommended setup. However, you should connect the black wire from the lil'59 to the switch and the green/shield wire to your pot ground. The white and red need to be connected together (I recommend soldering them and protect in shrink wrap).

This diagram would be a standard install without coil split, which is a reference of what you want not withstanding the fender part of the AM PRO 2.

[​IMG]

3. NathenFTW

NathenFTW New Member!

Hey Eric!

Thanks for the reply mate, so in doing so and following your advice and the diagram I would still have the ability to push pull with the Humbucker and combine its tone with the other singles coil pickups? as shown in the fenders wiring diagram on page 5.

4. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

Yes I believe so.. you'd basically be replacing the single coil with the lil59, the way I read the fender diagram the pull-push turns your bridge pickup on and bypass the switch setting. So that give the ability to turn on the bridge in position 1,2 and 3..

You may want to get confirmation form other members, I wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction...I've never wire a Strat pro 2, but I would bet my odds of being right at 98% :)