Instrument Insurance

KCMustang

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 1, 2020
New Zealand
Some of my lower end guitars didn't have sn's so I scribbled my own on the bodies under the back plates with a sharpie.:whistling:

I've thought about putting a sticker under my pick guards saying 'Stolen! If you haven't been told this sticker is here, phone xxxxx'... just in case one of my gats is nicked & ends up with a tech somewhere.

This is after my bro had both his guitars taken in a burglary in the 90's, one of them a first issue G&L Legacy. We both still look out for that guitar 22 years later.

Rudedawg

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 5, 2015
Pine Belt of MS
I've thought about putting a sticker under my pick guards saying 'Stolen! If you haven't been told this sticker is here, phone xxxxx'... just in case one of my gats is nicked & ends up with a tech somewhere.

This is after my bro had both his guitars taken in a burglary in the 90's, one of them a first issue G&L Legacy. We both still look out for that guitar 22 years later.

That's a bummer; I detest, hate even, f***ng thieves.

emailvil

New Member!
May 26, 2022
canada
I contracted musical instrument insurance for my son, who plays the guitar. We needed this insurance to protect him from losing his instrument and paying the repair costs later. We also wanted to ensure that we were covered until he was 18, just like car insurance. We should be very careful with our musical instruments because they are expensive and we should try to protect them. I am insured at Victor Knight, which offered me the best terms and conditions. I think it's crucial for anybody who owns expensive musical instruments to be insured.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Just wondering if anyone has a specific insurance policy for their guitars, amps etc, or maybe a rider on the standard Home owners insurance?

Any recommendations for companies who offer specific policies?

Thanks!

Ian
SoCal
I'm not sure what rules apply to what areas but where I live if you've ever made money playing music (and the insurance company is aware of it) they will not cover your instruments under your home or auto insurance & you must insure your instruments separately. If something happens at home it's easy to say it's just a hobby and have the claim under your home policy. However, if there's an incident at a show or travelling it becomes harder to say you're not a "Pro".

That said, I have never insured my guitars separately.

2010cb

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Nov 21, 2020
NY
The one cautionary tale re relying on a homeowner’s policy is that I had a friend that had moved all of his equipment to a gig location that was subsequently flooded. It didn’t cover him because the gear wasn’t in his home at the time. Makes sense, but it wasn’t something he had really thought about.

Ian Ashdown

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2019
San Clemente, CA
I'm not sure what rules apply to what areas but where I live if you've ever made money playing music (and the insurance company is aware of it) they will not cover your instruments under your home or auto insurance & you must insure your instruments separately. If something happens at home it's easy to say it's just a hobby and have the claim under your home policy. However, if there's an incident at a show or travelling it becomes harder to say you're not a "Pro".

That said, I have never insured my guitars separately.
The only way I’ll ever make money playing music is if someone pays me to stop!

Ian

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Any time I buy something I have the spreadsheet to track the cost & also serial numbers and dates. I don't have anything individually that wouldn't be covered. And combined I'm still covered. Furniture would be considerably more than the inventory of my collection. Homeowners insurance seems to be more concerned about the age of a shingle roof more than anything else as to whether they'll even underwrite a policy. And that works for the local roofers as they've been gouging homeowners for a couple of years now.

Arrested Dev

Strat-O-Master
Jan 18, 2022
Austin, TX
What would be the low end threshold for one particular guitar or amp to make sure you have coverage for? And/or what would be the low end for the complete collection?

I have not called out specificically what o have to my home owners insurance agent. But I will if I should. Thx

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Wow I need to ask my sister about this. Not because I have any that need covered. I'm just curious what she'd say. She does real estate now but was in insurance before that.