Instruments: Used or New & Why.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bazz Jass, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

What's your preference, if you have one. And why.

For me it's generally used - used encompasses vintage, and also good value recent.

My current ratio of used to new (as in bought new) is 2:1

Historically I think the ratio has swayed more toward used. Probably more like 8:1 in favour of used.

2. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Senior Stratmaster

Used 100 percent

Believer7713 likes this.
  3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

What are we talking about? New or vintage what?

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Everything I really like – say, AV guitars – has been discontinued so it's used, NOS or bust ;D

But in any case, I'm always for used – choosing carefully. More guitar/amp for less money.

Believer7713 and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Higgins1980

Higgins1980 Strat-O-Master

I’ve never bought a used guitar. Other than one tele years ago at a pawn shop. I’m really wary of buying a used guitar on say reverb or Facebook marketplace or Craigslist because I just don’t trust people enough. At least if you buy new you are more or less guaranteed a return and refund if you don’t like it

6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I have 6 guitars out of 24 that were bought used. Three of them were because I couldn’t afford them new, and two because they were vintage and not available new.

Believer7713 likes this.
  7. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Used is prefered but it requires more knowledge and experience for you to actually reap the benefits....new is a lot safer for most people.

henderman and Believer7713 like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

While I have bought new a few times, I more often buy used.

Because: Lower cost. Especially the damaged and abused guitars.

I know how to fix the problems or tweak the tone so I don't need to 'run the racks to find a good one!' I can even buy guitars across the Internet without playing them first.

I avoid all vintage guitars because of excessively high prices and all the fakes out there. Even the middle-price-range collectible vintage MIJ Fender guitars, because there were so many factory variations, a buyer needs to be a super expert to catch fake builds. I can catch most of the fakes of regular Fender/Gibson MIA models but I steer clear of the MIJs. However, basic modern starter/beginner guitars with all their CNC machining are much more interesting to me. The same guitar tech who makes the vintage guitars play and sound so good can make the modern cheap guitars play and sound good too -- but few take a modern guitar to them.

+1, buying new for most players is much safer for them.
    They should find a great guitar tech though.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Believer7713 likes this.
  9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Used. Better price to value ratio. Don't have to worry about that first ding.

10. White Dog

White Dog Strat-O-Master

Lately it's been used, both amps and guitars. Previous years usually new.
    So if I had to put a (gear buying) number on it...I'd say 50/50.

Believer7713 likes this.
  11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

100% new. I can pick and choose what I want, rather than having to choose from only what's available, if there are problems with the instrument it can be returned, and I'm not risking buying the problem someone else is offloading.

Neil.C, ryunker, KillingTone and 7 others like this.
  12. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Used and cheap.

mad axe man and Believer7713 like this.
  13. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Lately, only new. Used prices rival new and returns are a hassle if there is an issue. I'd rather start fresh.

Believer7713 likes this.
  14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

I prefer to buy everything new. It's untouched, pristine, and I get to be the first one to use it / play it / etc.....I get a feel good feeling of having treated myself to the best when I buy something new as opposed to used.

15. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

yes.....

Believer7713 likes this.
  16. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Either/Or...
    Depends on what is available at the time of my GAS. If I can find it used and in a condition that I like then used. If now then new. I have plenty that I bought both ways and really don't care much either way. It doesn't matter how I buy it, it will be changed somehow anyway because there isn't one made that ticks off all the boxes for me. I can always find a way to optimize them.:whistling:

17. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Stratmaster

Used, unless I can’t find what I’m looking for used, then I buy new.

I buy used primarily due cost, but I also trade a lot of gear, and it is just easier trading for used gear.

In addition, I most often prefer vintage amps, so buying vintage gear new is not an option.

Groundwire likes this.
  18. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

I've got 8 electrics, 1 bass and 1 acoustic/electric (Taylor).
    6 were used (bass, 3 PRS SE's, 1 PRS Core, 1 Gibson SG) and 4 were new (1 Taylor, 2 Classic Series Strats, 1 Deluxe Nashville Tele).
    Over the years, I've preferred to buy used (much better price/value), only bought new when I had trouble finding a particular model used.
    The new ones I got an even better than marked price on. Tele was $599 (got for $480), Taylor was $1700 (got for $1350), Classic Series 50's Strat was $699 (got for $560). Only new one I paid "full" price for was Classic Series 60's Strat (paid $699, but has rosewood fingerboard).

19. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

New : At least I know its not stolen , and the original pickups are still in the guitar .

ryunker, Bazz Jass and jtoomuch like this.
  20. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-O-Master

Used. Other than fret wear, I'm more comfortable playing a slightly worn guitar. One of the things I love about guitars is the complete lack of planned obsolescence. Technically, there's nothing to say that in 50 years your instrument won't be as useful to someone as it is to you, be it a Classic Vibe Squirt, or a high-end Fender. Not to mention that both will likely be collectable, provided the world as we know it doesn't end by then.
    And this, for once, every time we buy a decent instrument, makes you not a consumer, but just one in a potentially endless chain custodians!

It's funny. I'm usually quite careful with where I put guitars and so on, structural damage being the main fear, not scratches. The only time I remember putting a notable ding on a guitar was while pulling out my brand new Tele (the blonde nitro one on the profile pic) out of its case FOR THE FIRST TIME when I brought it home from the store. As I took it out, the lid of the tweed case just closed back on it and a latch took a bite off the nitro off the edge of the body. Years later that's still the only ding on it.

Well, it's that and the cost/value argument. For me, the only reason to buy new is if there's something specific that's just not available on the used market.
    Currently, all of my other electric guitars were bought used. The Edwards LP Custom and the ultra-rare 2005 Schecter 12-string electric I got for barely a third of their new price, at the time I didn't even realise just how lucky I was with those.