Instruments: Used or New & Why.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bazz Jass, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

I have no problem with preowned, I prefer a new one, but for the right price, rarely or never used & I'm tempted. I'll even take a chance on a scratch & dent, but agian, the price has to be attractive.

2. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

New, but I don't often buy guitars. I like being the only owner, and I know I have a perfect guitar that hasn't been messed with by somebody.

tery likes this.
  3. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Senior Stratmaster

2/3 of my electric guitars, I got used. Acoustic guitars, I have always gotten new. I would love to have a vintage Martin or Gibson acoustic. I am fortunate to have the gear that I have.

4. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

When have we ever known what I'm talking about?

Tguitarfloyd and Wrighty like this.
  5. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Silver Member

Mostly used. I expect a lot of good feels when I buy something new ... most of my new guitars have wound up being disappointments in that regard, end up feeling like I paid too much for a guitar without someone else's DNA ... I like working on guitars, so enjoy getting a deal on something used, and then doing what it takes to get it set up the way I like.

My favorite guitars:
    Taylor 352ce - new
    American Deluxe Strat - used
    Squier CV Jazz Bass - used
    Epiphone ES339 - (extensively modified) new
    Gibson L50 - (older than I am) used

Most of the rest of my instruments are also a mix of new and used, in about the same proportion. I buy used as much as possible.

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Used. For sure. Guitars last for decades. Having a 10 year old instrument is nothing like having a 10 year old car.

Guitars need practically no maintenance, and unless abused, many will live longer than we do.

StratMike10 likes this.
  7. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

Interesting takes here. Thanks!

I've had a couple of guitars I bought both new and used. I.e. I bought them new, sold them and bought them back years later.

First was a PRS Custom 22. I bought this new from Gruhns in 1994 - back in the days when you picked your options and they built the guitar for you. I didn't really gel with it, sold it to a friend a year later, then he sold it. Turned up for sale 10 years later so I bought it back - clean as the day I sold it. Held on to it for 10 years, never played it and sold it again.

Second was an Ovation Custom Legend I bought new in my last year of high school. That was special to me. Had to sell it to pay some debts in my early 20s. Nostalgia got to me a few years back, and I talked the guy I sold it to into selling it back to me. 25 years later!

Yes, it's an Ovation. But me and that guitar were a powerful force in our young years...

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  8. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

Used for the most part. Most of my "new" purchases have been disappointments in one way or another, whereas the used ones have been for the most part pretty good.

9. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Senior Stratmaster

9 new, 2 used, but I have no preference thats just how it happened

10. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Strat-Talker

No preference really. It's just that 90% of the time, I can't afford new.

jtoomuch likes this.
  11. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I will buy either. It depends on what catches my eye at the time, because most of my guitar purchases are impulse buys.

12. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I'd say
    65% used
    Kinda softens the buyers remorse a tiny bit...
    However
    The Hwy1 Strat and Mustang 90 were new
    Most everything else is GC used

Bazz Jass likes this.
  13. FuncleManson

FuncleManson Strat-Talker

Put me in the used column. Not counting stuff I've assembled myself, I've got 35 electrics and I think I've only bought six new. Price is obviously the motivating factor. Out of 21 Gibsons and Fenders, I've only bought one of each new--my MIM FSR Tele and my Firebird V--and only because I got crazy good prices on both. My experiences buying on Reverb and eBay have been almost universally positive. I can't really think of a single major issue I've had with a guitar purchase.

14. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

New, I don't buy other peoples problems.

Neil.C, Bazz Jass and Boubou like this.
  15. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

New. That way i know someone hasn't done anything really stupid to it. And if they have its a warranty thing. I will consider used if its from my local store that will stand behind it

16. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Whichever makes more sense at the time

17. Houdi Elbow

Houdi Elbow Strat-Talker

18. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

Usually I like to buy new. I like that something new doesn't have much use (other than a guitar that has perhaps been played at the store by other potential buyers), and it's something not available used. I have bought a couple instruments used though; you can find good deals that way.

Sometimes I'm wary of other people though. One time I bought a used guitar on eBay, and after it arrived, to my surprise, it smelled badly of cigarette smoke.

19. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

If I can find what I'm looking for or can turn it into what I'm looking for I would tend to favor used but that's not always possible. Mine are about 40% new vs 60% used.

20. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Virtually always used. I feel capable of evaluating a guitar and doing a setup/making changes if needed. Very glad to see so many people buy new, I appreciate a well stocked used market.

I've played guitar for 40 years and bought 5 new in that time. When I was a kid in the 80s I bought my first classical (Yamaha which I still have) and then an Aria Pro ii and then a Kramer all new.
    In the remaining 35 years I've bought a '96 Hamer USA Duotone new (at cost through Hamer sponsorship deal and I wish I'd have kept it) and last year I impulsively bought a non reverse Firebird copy, new for $190....

Just last week I bought a 26 year old Martin acoustic from its original owner. I like that it's been played in with some finish wore down on the neck, scuffing near pickguard, etc. I don't want to beat the guitar up but getting a used guitar with some wear keeps me from getting mental about marking it up myself.
    I don't always buy player grade used guitars...three weeks ago I paid $1,400 for a mint condition Les Paul traditonal Classic ABR. That's $600 less than it was new in 2015, and $900 les than a new Classic (per the new Gibson pricing) in 2021.