Interested by a Fender Blues Jr.

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Eric_G, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

So I've been thinking about getting a Blues Jr...

I found this one, not near me, but I have a friend who lives near by who can likely go try it out and pick it up.

Fender Blues JR | Amps & Pedals | Fredericton | Kijiji

Vendor is asking 600$CAN which is rougly 475$US.

Assumming condistin is good to excellent, what's your take on the asking price ?
    What's your experience in terms of getting those shipped, is it a pain, or just a fair costs ?

Everything I looked up seemed to be in 500$-600$ range... So price wise, even if I don't negotiate it down, seem to be good.

I understand the question about shipping is a bit generic. Honnestly, I'm just wondering how I could estimate the cost of shipping. No point of getting it if I have to drop 200$ to get here...

All comments welcome,
    Thanks,

Stratafied and Justin226 like this.
  2. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Had one nice amp sounded good, no negative review from me.

But.....

When I bought a Supro Blues King 15 watt (now called the Delta King) I sold the Blues Jr. They're $650 new US dollars but well well well worth it.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...2-inch-15-watt-tube-combo-amp-tweed-and-black

As far as the one you're looking at, in US dollars $475 with no shipping is at the top of the price range, if you have to add shipping you'd be better off just buying a brand new one imho.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

This will be your biggest issue. It's heavy (relatively for a package) and if you want it packed properly/safely so it gets there in one piece, it's gonna cost.

So ask yourself what it is about the Blues Junior that sparks your interest, because IMHO it's a pretty 'meh' amp, and there are better offerings in the same price range.

Stratafied, bbarott, Textele and 3 others like this.
  4. Justin226

Justin226 Senior Stratmaster

Great amps but that asking price is steep. I’ve seen them go for under 400 in NYC. Last month someone listed a blues jr on FB marketplace for 300 and it was gone in the blink of an eye.

Dain Bramage likes this.
  5. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

A blues junior locally in 900$, looked around a bit and most stores are out of stock :(

I figured that if it's in great shape and I could get it ship under 100$ I'd be OK.....

6. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

It's mostly because I'd like a tweed and something a little quieter than my current HRD III 212...

I also want to add a Hiwatt to the collection, but that may come later !

7. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

Everything I've looked at here is much higher than that...

Now this is not a Junior III or IV, the seller present it as a Limited edition with Jensen Special Speaker...

However, I don't know how to verify this other than with the tag:

upload_2021-9-26_17-28-45.png

Does that change it's value ?

8. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Fender confuses things with the III IV bla bla. The Limited edition with Jensen Special Speaker (Jensen C12N) is the newest version so technically you could call it a IV. I think the Limited brand new is around $50 more because of the speaker.

If you're happy with $600 + $100 shipping and it's in mint condition I think you'll be happy.

Archtops likes this.
  9. Justin226

Justin226 Senior Stratmaster

Not sure, but somebody here will know. When I saw the one locally I was going to grab it just because it was such a great deal. I had a blues deluxe at some point and loved it, but 40W was way too much power for an apartment!

StratUp likes this.
  10. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

I check on CanadaPost shipping rate finder and with coverage for 600$, it would cost me 58$ to ship... better than I thought...

Thanks for the info on the Limited edition...

Archtops and Antstrat like this.
  11. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Brand new they're not that much more ($700 US) and you aren't dealing with a used item that is very costly to ship if there are issues.

Honestly, it's an OK amp, but the cabinet is a little small for a 12" speaker and it really opens up running into an external cab. I like my little 1st Gen (when they were still made here), but run it through a 4x10.
    They do tend to bias them pretty hot, so be aware of red-plating when replacing the power tubes... bias should be checked when the tubes are replaced anyways. Unfortunately, the bias is not easily adjusted.

Textele likes this.
  12. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

What kinda sound do you want it for? I don't really recommend this amp even at a good price. Had one for years and barely used it. The clean sound always had that waaay too open top end that sounded 'direct to board' and the OD sounds farty. I had many speakers in it too in an attempt to make it good.

Anything more than 400 Canadian is just not worth it. You could find a Hot Rod deluxe for that price in Toronto.

DiGangi1966 and stratman323 like this.
  13. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

^^^^^^^ That is a "spot-on post" IMO.

I think that might be the biggest issue I have with the amp.

The amp might be a good idea on paper, but the cabinet that is housing it strangles what good qualities the amp has.

There are better options out there for the price IMO.

I sold a friend of mines locally a few years back, but before I did I hooked it up driving a quality 4x12 cab and it sounded like a TOTALLY different amp. In a very good way. Amazing dynamics that it lacked in it's original cabinet.

If you have your heart set on a small Fender combo, I would take the Pro Jr. over the Blues Jr. Killer little, simple amps that record great. Not sure why that Pro jr. sounds so much better to my ears, because it's in a similar small cabinet. But doesn't sound so boxy.

Best of luck to you whatever you choose.

14. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

This is what I have. I really like it. From I hear, the Jensen is a big improvement over the stock speaker. I've only played the Jensen version

15. l88vette

l88vette Strat-O-Master

I have a Blues Junior and do like it but as some have said the small cab limits it somewhat. I sometimes run mine through a Hot Rod Deluxe 1 x12" cabinet and it sounds wonderful. Still at 32lbs it's a nice grab and go option but average price here for used is $350-400. Great at that price but higher and I would pass.

16. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

20210927_082609.jpg

FYI, this is the tag on mine. It's a limited NOS Blues Jr. with Jensen. It's at least 10 years old btw.

17. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

AntStrat is right, if you can get into a Supro do it. There is no comparison between the two, imo the Supro is the one to have.

Textele likes this.
  18. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

Here is a great video of Brian Wampler running the same amp through the stock speakers and few different replacements that make it sound even better.

I agree with him (and others) that the amp can be a bit shrill, but I don't have any issue taming it with EQ on my pedals. The Green Beret speakers he samples last does sound fantastic though.

19. ahlios

ahlios Strat-Talk Member

I see on the pics an "ordinary" Tweed BJ with the Jensen speaker. IIRC, LTD stands for Lacquered TweeD, not for Limited Edition. But there may as well be Limited Editions out there with other colors or speakers.....

Karl

20. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

My lacquered tweed has a 'limited edition' plate on it as well. It was also NOS, so maybe that's what made that version limited. It's 10+ years old