Interesting body down from the loft.

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Jigawatt, May 4, 2021.

1. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

494E8FBC-DB13-418F-8817-950ECCECA6EA.jpeg 840CAA5D-CCB4-4C15-B749-AB6210C76FBF.jpeg C579D864-24B6-42B1-824B-D1D542C7422E.jpeg Thought I’d get this old body down to try and do something with. As it’s a hardtail I’m thinking a tele hybrid.
    obviously it’s been messed with and I’ll be messing with it some more.

Anyone recognise it?

I’m thinking 70’s Japanese. It’s a two piece body but across the middle with a thin veneer stripe between. Very odd. no idea what kind of wood. It’s got some weight to it.. The neck pocket being cut through like that isn’t original. I think I’ll get the router out.

Rich.

Scott Baxendale and ukoldgit like this.
  2. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Le Misanthrope Silver Member

I'd guess homemade. The string ferrule holes appear to have been drilled free-hand, the ground wire to the bridge is done in a way I've not seen before (and was drilled all the way through into the floor of the p'up cavity), the p'up routes are enlarged from most I've seen, and it all appears, to my eye, to be off-center- especially the neck-pocket. This can be clearly seen from the back view and the neck plate screw holes should be centered with the string ferrule holes and they are pretty far off.
    It'll be interesting to see how it comes together- and if it can be setup properly.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Baelzebub, Jigawatt and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Quite nauseatingly so...

Jigawatt likes this.
  4. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

Yeah it is a bit wonky.. I think a lot of that is the neck pocket modification. I’m not sure I’ve got the energy for it now. I put it away! Mainly because of the small string spacing. I’d have to fill and re drill anyway.
    The reason I assumed it was 70’s Japanese is where the neck plate was seems to be the same thin style as my Columbus. That has very close spacing too.
    But yeah, it could be home made. Or just badly made...

5. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Le Misanthrope Silver Member

So, it gets interesting when squared up in Photoshop and viewed from front and rear.

Custom Hardtial body front.jpg

Custom Hardtial body back.jpg

6. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

Haha indeed! It must’ve been drilled with some scraps of wood on the pillar drill. They’re all at an angle.
    Like you say it’s so bad you’d think it was home made. The routing and finish just doesn’t look like it to me.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Cut the through holes into a slot that you can insert an aluminum or brass bar to use as the string stop. You'll find examples with a google search, most often I've seen brass. That way you can use the bar to re-center the holes and cover up the misalignment by making the bar longer to fit a centered slot.

Use a Tele half-bridge not a full plate. One steel and two brass barrel saddles.

Strat neck pickup, Tele bridge pickup (mounted to pickguard), and something fun for a middle pickup like a Jaguar or lipstick.

Then use an Armstrong Blender wiring scheme (5-way switch where SSS blends to HSH). Or the Nashville style blender where you use a Tele 3-way switch and then the second tone knob blends in the middle pickup (parallel) with the other pickups or middle pickup alone if you turn down the volume knob shutting the other pickups off and turning up the middle pickup.

Jigawatt likes this.
  8. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Get it back down, set a neck on it and then post a pic. Curious. Of course, you are free to say "don't tell me what to do !!"

Jigawatt likes this.
  9. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

Here’s roughly where it should be. I’m holding it in place as it’s swimming in there. The second pic you can see how much has been cut.

Also with the lining up on the back. It seems to be the neck plate position that’s wonky. The strap button is not centred.

9960034E-052A-4CAD-B707-F5D9AF53BECA.jpeg 1F59A69E-FDD0-4DE8-96D0-41917E48179E.jpeg

Groovey likes this.
  10. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

C9991BBE-847B-441E-93AE-B23F8CD1A002.jpeg The neck plate on my Columbus. Looks to be the same size. Also, not straight!

11. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Well, at least you have plenty of margin for trying to align it !!!

12. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Looksike you got this. Gonna be just fine.

13. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

It’s Luan Mahogany, and it is probably 70’s Japanese or early 80’s Korean.

Jigawatt likes this.