Intermittent sound issues on Strat

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Blue Beagle, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

Had an 07 Strat delivered today, spent some time setting up and all is good but when I’ve plugged the guitar in through the red channel on my EVH amp (high gain), it sounds very thin and clean.

When I give the lead a little wiggle and pull it out a bit, I get the sound you’d expect.

When I’ve got it in the right position to give me the ‘full’ sound, I’ve tried all pickups and rolled up/down all the pots with no issues. As soon as I touch the jack it goes thin and clean again.

Popped the jack plate off and everything seems ok, nothing lose etc.

Am I right in thinking this must be a jack issue?

Lead and amp input checked with other guitars and all is good with them so it’s definitely the guitar.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

If the 2 solder blobs on the jack look good, check the other end - the volume pot lug solder joint and the back of the pot ground.....also try bending the tip of the jack a little more to grip and make more contact with the cable end.....

Check carefully for any rust on the inside of the jack sleeve....

Strat-Slinger and Blue Beagle like this.
  3. TheWorldsAStage

TheWorldsAStage Strat-Talker

With the jack plate out of the guitar plug the cable in and see if it looks like the contact is making good connection with the tip of the cable. Also go ahead and plug it into the amp and see if it sounds normal with the jack plate out.

If not you can try the wiggling and maybe visually be able to tell what's happening when it cuts in and out.

Could be that the jack contact is hitting the wall of the cavity and causing the physical connection to not be correct, or even partially grounding out if there's shielding or shielding paint in there. Not a lot of room in there.

Blue Beagle likes this.
  4. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

You nailed it with the bending of the cable contact part.

Cheers buddy!