International Colors Series

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Davidoff, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Davidoff

Davidoff Strat-Talk Member

Hi all!

Just bought an '81 Morocco Red. I beleive. Serial is S98xxxxx, but I haven't checked the neck date yet. I think I will restore it to original and sell it, which is my mission in life.
    But I'm not very familiar with these (I mostly do the "true 70's"):
    - I don't understand the pups: neck and mid are black bottom, and what I understand these could be original (Fender mixed gray botton and black). The bridge pup is changed, but what am I looking for here? A black bottom X-1 (hot) with black/yellow wire?
    - All the plastics are white. I suppose all intl. col. are white pickguard and black knobs. Or?
    - And of course I'll change the non-original pickguard and the bridge to the really poor cast original...

Thanks for any input!
    a1d20835-41af-11ea-9758-05290740024b.jpeg 9a41b18a-41af-11ea-9618-c74dac9100a6.jpeg

circles, Jerseystratfiend and mjea80 like this.
  2. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

SSL on a pup usually marks it out as a Seymour Duncan (for example the 1/4 pounders in the Blackmore strat are SSL-4) and if that's the case I'd say it's aftermarket.

As for the rest, yes white guard and black covers and knobs are correct I believe. Likewise I think the correct saddles should be the '70s block kind (Allparts sell a good version of the correct 2 3/16s spaced originals.... I know 'cos I just fitted some to my MIM CS70s in place of the non vintage correct bent steel offerings it came with).

Davidoff likes this.
  3. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Agreed - replacement Duncan SSL-6 pickup and the block saddles have been replaced. Pretty much all Strats had S9xxxxx serial numbers from 1979-1981.

At any rate here's the info on the current version of the Duncan SSL-6:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/custom-flat-strat

Davidoff likes this.
  4. Davidoff

Yes, the Seymore Duncan is gone now. But what's the original? A black bottom X-1?

5. John C

I think so, but I'm just not 100% sure when the bridge pickup became the X-1 - it could have been late 1980, it could have been during 1981. It doesn't help for an International Colors but I know the 1982/"Dan Smiths" had the X-1.

Davidoff likes this.
  6. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Yes.
    The earliest X1 pickups had fibre flatwork and were pencil marked "96" for 9600 turns.
    When all pickups went to plastic bobbins in 1980 the X1 did as well.
    The X1 was phased into regular production around the same time.
    (co-incidental with some of the International colours)

Since this guitar already has plastic bobbin neck and middle, it should also have a 016730 yellow lead X1.

OI000060.jpg

No, it's not currently for sale. :cool:

Davidoff likes this.
  7. John C

Thanks! I wasn't sure when the X-1 moved to the "regular" Strat. That old Lead II I had was a 1979 so it had the fibre bottom X-1s.

8. Davidoff

Thanks! But "some of the International colours"? Does that mean that some COULD be with a regular bridge pup, not the X-1?

9. mcmacguy

mcmacguy Senior Stratmaster

Yep, the 81 and 82 Strats had an X1 pup in the bridge spot. What a shame that some dummy swapped out the X1. It's a great pickup - he should have swapped out one of the other pickups, which are nothing special.

Davidoff likes this.
  10. LordOfPudding

LordOfPudding Strat-Talker

@Davidoff , can you please tell me whether your '81 Morocco Red was heavy?
    Thanks!