interview about largest stolen vintage collection

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratAlchemist, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

He’s in Cabo while his valuable collection is in San Jose Uninsured? I put all my collection (small) in storage for a house move. All equipment was photographed with Serial numbers. Made sure we bought the storage facility insurance and checked with our homeowner’s insurance and it was completely covered by the homeowner’s insurance.
    Maybe he should check into that and see if he’s covered.
    BTW I seem to remember a database for stolen guitars back about a decade ago. I don’t know if it’s still available.

2. StratAlchemist

StratAlchemist Strat-O-Master

That amp list is also painful:
    To name a few 65 twin, 66 vibroverb, 55 Princeton tweed, 66 Bassman, 65 super reverb, 65 deluxe reverb, 62? Vibrolux, 55 tweed champ, 59 deluxe tweed

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    3bolt79 likes this.
  3. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

It's an inside job. Someone knew they were there.

Exhead, GaryM, fos1 and 4 others like this.
  4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I agree that I think his reasoning for dropping it was foolish, but paying for a professional, truly secured and guaranteed storage with a blanket policy instead of a disclaimer is really just a form of self insurance.

It's going to cost something to purchase peace of mind either way, which is all insurers are actually selling. Especially in this guy's case, since there is no way to replace the missing items.

So if paying for insurance helps someone sleep better at night they should purchase it

My personal opinions and experience is that more often that not what insurers are selling it the right to have an argument with someone when it's time for them to live up to their end of the bargain. Somehow when you make a claim, they're all too happy to spend the time explaining the exclusions that they just glossed over or buried in fine print when they were selling you the stuff..

Anyone who knows me, or has read enough of my posts, knows I have little to no problem finding people to argue with me, so I see no need to pay for the privilege. I dumped my homeowner's insurance, 20 years ago, which is a total ripoff here with wind and hail coverages, and spent a fraction of the savings on security and maintenance and a repair fund, some chainsaws....a few firearms.

Even after 5 or 6 hurricanes at least 2-3 of them major events, I'm still way ahead, probably about the value of all my guitar equipment. And that stuff makes me sleep a lot better and brings me more joy than promises that may or may not get kept.

YMMV.

5. Baelzebub

That would have been the first assumption. After vetting the entire staff, I'd have also subpoenaed a list of all the other people who rented the surrounding lockers at any point in time the guy had been in and out and looked into where they were and what they'd been up to. The way those units are set up anyone driving by when he opened the door could see that there was f'load of guitars in there. Sure woulda caught my eye.

But he said they already know who did it, but he was dead. So likely they didn't even have to go that far. Kinda hoped he'd provide some kind of info on who that guy was, but he may have been cautioned, or limited, by the SJPD or SCSO, depending on who has jurisdition, not to divulge that info.

fos1, Archtops, 3bolt79 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

I posted about this when it happened. So sad.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Until some moron, or 'not moron' coming to your door to ...whatever, trips and injures his or her self and then sues you for more than you could possibly pay.

Which would be a bummer.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

I'm pretty sure there's something like that already. I know there's a stolen instrument registry.

Edit: there was a place called AxeReg that, was supposed to be a worldwide registry.

And there is a stolen guitar registry.

http://www.stolenguitarregistry.com/

GaryM and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

Just make sure if you gig any of them that insurance is aware of that or guess what? No coverage. You need special policy coverage if the guitars are part of a business like live music.

The insurer will use any and all excuses to avoid payment.

Almost without a doubt. Probably someone fairly close to them either ran their mouth about it to the wrong people or was directly involved.

Loose lips sink ships.

fos1, Archtops and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Cameras everywhere too. Would have been obvious that the guy was loading money into the bin.

fos1, Driftwood and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Insurance companies use the legal guidelines of the policy which is a contract between you and the company. The exclusion section outlines anything they will exclude coverage for and yes you are right, typically a homeowners policy will exclude things used to make an income or for a business. I have a personal articles floater covering a blanket $50,000 in gear at home, in transit and at a gig or jam. Even though it’s blanket coverage I still sent them a schedule of any guitars that cost $2,500 or more. It was $124 a year to add it.

Driftwood, Archtops and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

I feel sorry for the guy. I feel sorry for anybody who has anything stolen from them.

But, yeah, really unfathomable to me that someone would keep the world’s biggest vintage guitar collection in a storage facility they didn’t even think was very good, and then not insure it.

fos1, s5tuart, Driftwood and 2 others like this.
  13. Baelzebub

Or more than he could ever hope to collect. I was a founding member of the CA state association of judgment collectors. I know a few things about trying to collect money. You can sue if you like.

Wayne Adams and 3bolt79 like this.
  14. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I have 50,000 homeowners policy that cover the contents of my house for theft, and all the other things that can happen. I just hope any burglar that comes to steal from me has life insurance. It might come in handy for the burglars children.

Baelzebub likes this.
  15. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

What insurance company? I would like to get additional coverage just for my gear before I start playing out again.

16. StratAlchemist

StratAlchemist Strat-O-Master

“That’s how a conspiracy works…..moment you think you got it figured, you’re wrong..” best part of the whole movie, RIP Levon Helm
    4DAB37CC-5B96-4518-A95A-A236906708CD.jpeg

17. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I like that. It’s not going to be my fault if some stupid moron values my stuff more than his life. Long story short, I had a young guy, a friend of my son, try to leave my house with a Les Paul that he had only half paid for.

He was leaving because I gave him the boot. He was living with us but I had to send him away due to his behavior. He figured he earned the guitar, for only doing half the work that I was supposed to have him do as payment for the guitar. I demanded that he give it back, it was in his hands. He tried to get all violent on me with his Taekwondo that his daddy paid for.

Anyway, I took the guitar from him and hit him in middle of his pie hole with the butt end of the Les Paul. That put him down on the floor. All the while my wife was on the phone with 911. Cops arrested him for assault and battery too, I think. Anyway he spent some time in jail.

18. Baelzebub

And it's been out for awhile. I saw that his list posted here a couple months ago when it first happened.

My gut feeling is that his hope is on the mark. The bulk of them are sitting somewhere, probably in another storage unit.

It did occur to me that the easiest way to steal them would be to rent a unit at the other end of the facility and just move them in there. That way you could secure your ill-gotten gain and have time to figure out a disposal plan.

But if not there, then somewhere waiting for the right buyer (overseas market?) or someone to just buy the lot for a lump sum and let it be their problem.

19. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

It’s called Members Insurance Company. It’s a company setup by AAA of the Carolinas. My wife is an agent for them so we moved from travelers several years back. They do not have a specific form for instruments so they used the one for stamp or other valuable collections that get displayed and manuscript wording about the guitars.

Archtops and 3bolt79 like this.
  20. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

I've a separate policy under a classification called Inland Marine, where those instruments that are valuable are scheduled following appraisal. Clearly it is only those instruments that warrant their own policy that I bother with. But they are covered against any loss. Costs me about $150 per year on ~$50k in instruments. It's only for the stuff that would be difficult to replace.

I've another for artwork. Neither spouse or I have any jewelry so I don't bother with any of that.

Archtops likes this.