interview about largest stolen vintage collection

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratAlchemist, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah, there are a couple that I've come across, but no one like @balston11 or @Antonio77 have put the time and effort like they do in their sites to create a comprehensive registry and promote it so people know to report and list their stuff there. I'm not suggesting that either of them do it, just that someone show their level of dedication to the project of getting it started, promoted and maintained.

You'd think that Sweetwater would get behind something like that considering they got hit for a truckload of guitars. They, or someone, like them, have the platforms and the mailing lists to publicize a resource like that.

Another good person to approach would be Joe BUYNOW!massa. He recently had a vintage guitar ripped off by Fed Ex. (my hunch, and I think his too..). Lord knows he could part with a few bucks to get it started and maintained with all those chochtkes he relentlessly markets.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

I don't know. To me, if it was me, I would have looked around for something more secure to hold my collection. Maybe there isn't anything more than storage units:mad: I didn't watch the whole video to see what he would have done differently.

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-O-Master

4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Well I have about 30K worth of musical stuff. And the rest of my furniture and clothes aren’t really worth 2 much. All my stuff is covered under contents on the HOP and it is for replacement value.

rolandson likes this.
  5. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Sorry, it's hard for me to feel too bad for a guy who bought a bunch of expensive rare vintage guitars that he didn't play and wouldn't sell. Meanwhile, some Strat-talkers complain about how unaffordable MIM Strats are...

I don't think he's really hurting since he probably kept a few guitars around to play; IMO, the collection was just his obsession because he had the bucks. A week at Cabo might have cost less than insurance, or a better storage unit. But to each, his own.

Still, getting ripped off is a horrible experience and the guy(s) who did it deserve to be punished, just like the guy who "organized" the Fyre Fest. (There's a German word that comes to mind...)

(FWIW-- publicizing this by video probably ensures that the remaining guitars will be parted out and sold.)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

It’s like the guy that is the owner of Sweetwater. He’s worth 100 million, and has a Batmobile. Why? Because he can.

duzie and Deafsoundguy like this.
  7. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

I think the advantage of scheduling had more to do with the item being covered regardless of the nature of the loss or location of where the loss took place. The only limitation was that the thing couldn't be in use, at the time of loss, in a commercial capacity...but, while in transit to where I would begin work, on my way home, and anytime out of the control of the road manager, I was covered.

And at home of course.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

No doubt. Someone was also well aware he only came to check on the stash "every couple of months," so the stuff would be scattered to the wind before he knew it was gone.

Groovey likes this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

100 million dollar worth and he's been cheap with the bit o' honeys.

Some guys just don't get it I guess.

Archtops, FuncleManson, bsman and 2 others like this.
  10. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Only one? Sheesh. There are a slew of completely different versions going back to the original Adam West TV version! ;)

s5tuart and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Batmobiles: Usually, black was the only custom color.

(Sorry, the thread was getting tedious and the opening was given so I tooked it. :whistling:)

12. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Gibsons with the serial# stamped in the back of the head stock's wood are a much better candidate for a registry than Fenders with a serial# decal on the front or back of head stock and maybe stamped on the removable neck plate. Serial#'s hidden inside a guitar aren't likely to have much deterrence value.

fos1 likes this.
  13. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

I have a dim and distant memory of one :thumbd:
    I don't know if it's still going.

14. Antonio77

Antonio77 Strat-Talker

Thanks @Baelzebub, as you know I try to make Fuzzfaced as accurate and complete as possible.
    I have some doubts about the Stolen Guitar Registry, because... just image that you have a vintage guitar, or a high-end model and someone claims on this website that your guitar, with your serial number, is his stolen guitar. He lies while you may be in trouble. How can you prove it's yours and you didn't stolen it? Sorry for my bad English, I am not sure I said well what I mean.

s5tuart likes this.
  15. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I get your point, but I think things like that could be minimized by requiring anyone listing a guitar on the registry to provide proof that they actually owned it, including a police report reporting it stolen and/or other evidence.

You certainly couldn't just let anyone list a guitar there without some proof they actually owned it, and that it was stolen. The burden of proof has to be on the person making the claim.

Antonio77 likes this.
  16. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

What if we could chip guitars like we do our pets?

They are very small and could be hidden quite effectively.

Ian

PS
    [​IMG]
    The small one could be hidden very easily. The neck and body could both be chipped, maybe even the loaded pickguard.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Archtops likes this.
  17. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

Gibson have been putting RFID chips in some guitars for a while now.
    However I doubt many shops have a reader.
    You could also put one of the myriad of trackers in the pickup cavity but they don't have a huge amount of battery life afaik.

18. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

I had my guitars in storage for awhile. They cover up to a certain amount and recommend extra coverage for stuff like this.
    They should have proper video surveillance and security, but sounds like a clean maybe inside job.

s5tuart and fos1 like this.
  19. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

The cost of an RFID chip is very small, it would seem that it could be standard on all guitars above a certain value.
    I feel that if it were a coordinated and universal system, there could be real benefits. The music stores would need to be rewarded in for selling the RFID membership, and that would mean they would have to have a scanner, and actually use it on guitars being traded in etc.

It clearly would not eliminate theft of instruments, but but it could make a significant improvement.

Ian

s5tuart likes this.
  20. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

There's this channel on YouTube that I follow called Lock Picking Lawyer, the guy is a master of picking any type of lock. Not aimed to help criminals but rather to educate the public and companies on their locks and what people who want to buy locks should focus on.

The sort of lock that this guy had on his storage, a disc lock is shown in this video.

Archtops likes this.