Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Intonation low e string big issue

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Cozmo, Apr 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cozmo

Cozmo Strat-Talk Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Romania
    I have a fender 60s strat, everything is right on, except the intonation on the low e string. It's way off. I have the saddle as far as it can go towards the bridge, the only thing I have left is removing the spring from the saddle screw and make the saddle flush to the body. The pickup height is down, but I am stil something like 30 cents off. Do you have any suggestions? I think it's compromised.

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I've had this issue. Trim the spring shorter so you can get more movement.

3. Cozmo

Cozmo Strat-Talk Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Romania
    I'll try it, thanks.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    No problem. For future posts you may get more help if you post in the Main Stratocaster. This sub forum is for issues with the actual forum pages not for guitars.

6. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Low E intonation is a common problem, along with G sometimes. What I'd try first before changing the string (which may be necessary) or doing anything else, is to slacken your Low E, and in turn slacken off your saddle adjustment so the saddle is at its max forward. Re-tune the guitar at the head-stock, and then see if you can take out the sharp again by winding in your adjustment screw..

I've had this problem myself before and fixed it this way. Good luck.. :thumb:

7. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    As others said, cut or remove the saddle spring and move the saddle flush to the bridge plate.
    Lower the low E action a bit is another culprit, if buzzing is not a problem!

8. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2017
    France
    If your pickup magnets are too close to the strings they can cause all sorts of problems. Worst of all on the low E. Try moving the neck and middle pickups further away and see if it helps

Michelotti likes this.

9. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    With all the suggestions so far.

Another one. If all else is ok consider the gaug5string you use. Also I have seen tension compensated strings - normal gauge but made using a core that requires a higher or lower tension to get on pitch.

10. Opienor

Opienor Strat-Talker

May 21, 2012
    Oslo, Norway
    +1 for the neck and middle pickups being too close to the low E string, even though you think they´re not. The low E intonation is extremely sensitive to this.

Adam Wolfaardt likes this.

11. Silvercaster

Silvercaster Strat-Talk Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Sweden
    Yep, my -64 was like that. It didnt help just to lower the neck PU. I also had to lower the middle PU. Now its ok.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Are you running with 9s? Or did you try 10s/11s? I had one Strat-like-object that if I put 10s the low E wouldn't intonate all the way back without the spring. Put 9s back on and it worked fine.

Video of Gibbons and King telling story of when BBK convinced BG to go with lighter strings.