Join Strat-Talk Today

Introductions are due...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Blackhole_son, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Blackhole_son

Blackhole_son Strat-Talk Member

Hi. My name is Sean. I'm from Charleston, WV. I've been playing guitar since I was about 11, I'm now 25. The only strat I own is a Brownsville copy that I received for Christmas. Details are in another thread. I have 4 other guitars, which include:

1971 Gibson SG 200, customized with Seymour Duncan pickups, Schaller tuning heads, and a Les Paul style stop bar bridge. Solid Mahogany with a set neck, rosewood fretboard, and natural finish.

1967 Vox Cheetah hollow body, all original (minus one tuning head that was broken), two hot single coil pickups, Bigsby tremelo, Built in distortion, repeat percussion, and treble and bass boost effects, as well as an "E" tuner. Bolt-on neck, rosewood fretboard, sunburst finish (my first electric guitar.)

2005 Ibanez GAX series guitar. El-cheapo. Bought it from a pawn shop as a back-up axe for $130 bucks. Plays decent, the neck is a little loose for my taste, but has good tone.

Lauren acoustic guitar, not sure what year. Just for practice and jamming with my dad (although I rarely ever use it there because he has like, 17 guitars to pick from).

I play through a Behringer 2X12 combo amp, with a Crate blue-voodoo 4X12 speaker cabinet. The only effects I use are my CryBaby wah, an ancient Ross phaser and Compressor, an Ibanez Soundtank Power Lead (for extra gain on solos), and the built in Delay/chorus with the Behringer amp, as well as the built in distortions (creamy, yet edgy at the same time). I play mostly metal, but am well versed in all forms of music (country, rock, rap, reggae, blues, jazz, and i'm working on starting a funk band). That about sums it up. I'll be around.

2. Strat-Talk

Strat-Talk Administrator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Welcome BHS-- hope you enjoy the forum.

3. Panama Pete

Panama Pete Strat-Talk Member

Hey Sean,

Your '71 SG 200 sounds pretty cool. Does it have the controls in a semi-circular plate on the front of the guitar? I've also got an SG from that period; a Pro. I say it's a 1972 but don't really know. I bought it used in '79 and every source I've tried to date it by has only said it was made sometime between '71 and '73 -- the only 3 years Gibson made the Pro. So I just say it's a '72, which is right in the middle.

I've modded mine as well. I replaced the original P-90s with DiMarzio DLX-1s in late 1980. Back then, I was your age and wanted something with a lot of distortion. I've mellowed out since then and am in the process of replacing the DLX-1s with some Seymour Duncan P-90 humbucking stacks. I'm also putting in push-pull pots for switching from series to parallel for each pup as well as Sperzel locking tuners. I never could bring myself to get rid of the Bigsby, however, so no stop tailpiece. Here's a pic, along with my new '6I RI:

[​IMG]

You might want to check out the EverythingSG forum. Also, it would be cool to see some pics of your machine, either there or here.

4. Blackhole_son

Actually, I've been to the EverythingSG site (trying to identify my SG). The one I have originally came with a telecaster-style plate around the pots, and had two separate switches for the pickups. You can go to the identify your SG part of their website and see what it was supposed to look like. It's even the same color as mine. The only REAL difference (which is why I think mine was a custom shop deal) is the lack of a bevel around the edge of the guitar. I have yet to find another one like it. I saw, a long time ago, some punk band that had a guy playing one without the bevel, but I forget the name of the band.

As for your vintage SG, it's beautiful. It's a real rarity to find an SG with the bigsby.

I'll have pics of my entire arsenal here soon, just gotta get off my lazy butt and take the pics.

5. nvosmeier

nvosmeier Strat-Talker

Your '71 is very similar to mine. . . Did you remove your PU covers?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Panama Pete

Panama Pete Strat-Talk Member

No, mine is a model below yours. You look to have the Standard. Mine is the Pro, which is sort of like an SG Classic today. It originally had P-90s for pickups but I replaced them with DiMarzio DLX-1s. It is now being refitted with Seymour Duncan stacked P-90s as I've outgrown the need for DiMarzio-style distortion. You also will notice that you've got block fretboard inlays, where mine has dots, and a crown headstock inlay which mine doesn't have.

The Les Paul-style pickguard, front control plate and Bigsby were used by Gibson for all SGs during that period, which makes them really identifiable. In fact, I can't think of any other years when they had Bigsbys rather than the more usual Maestro Vibrolas. I'll bet my bottom dollar that yours has a volute behind the headstock as well -- another giveaway feature. The lack of bevelling in the cutaways mentioned by BHS is another distinctive thing about the era and is present in all three of our instruments.

That's a very nice example you have and it looks to be in excellent condition. I assume the tuners are replacements -- they look like Schallers, right offhand.

7. nvosmeier

nvosmeier Strat-Talker

Mine does have the volute on the back.

The tuners are Gibson tuners. I don't know if they are original or not. But they do say Gibson on them. Maybe, Gibson was using some Shallers at the time? I don't know. There are no signs of anything from previuos tuners. I am now kind of interestd in finding out if they are original or not. I had just always assumed that they were.

I do love this SG. It plays and sounds great. I have had many hours of enjoyment from this guitar. The Bigsby, like you say is not as common as the Maestro for other years. I have seen many 1970-72 SGs with the Bigsby and Les Paul pickguard. I am wanting to get another SG with the Maestro, some day.

But. . . I just picked up a 1960 Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul VOS yesterday. It is another beauty!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  8. Blackhole_son

Here we go, I finally have pictures.

The Arsenal (minus my Ibanez and my Acoustic):

[​IMG]

My Brownsville, up close and personal:

[​IMG]

My Gibson, beat up and worn in:

[​IMG]

And finally, the Vox:

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.