INXS sucked eggs

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, May 1, 2021.

1. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Yikes.

Neil.C and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I put it down to an off night. They happen.

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

Ain't that the truth.

3bolt79 and circles like this.
  4. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

Tell us more. From what I've seen that was an awesome show. Many top acts of day. I'm thinking VH was there? I went back & looked at your faded t & yes VH was.

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member

INXS had one very memorable show at Summerfest on the Milwaukee, WI lakefront, 1986 if memory serves.

A torrential downpour began during their most excellent show; all they did was throw some tarps over the exposed PA speakers, and the band didn't miss a beat.

There are stories aplenty about this show, with people swimming in knee-deep mud puddles, canoes actually being paddled nearby.

Always thought "What You Need" was a great song.

6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I only bought Shaboo. Don’t Change, in my opinion was their best song. I just didn’t like the other stuff that they played on the radio mostly. I did like Suicide Blonde. My sister (now departed) left behind some INXS records and a whole lot of 80’s vinyl that I still haven’t listened too because I have to get a decent turntable.

BuddyHollywood and Deathray like this.
  7. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Ok. But that hardly explains how you end up naked hanging from a doorway with your belt. He had a lot of issues and on the day and night before he died everyone that was with him said there was no sign or mention of him having any suicidal thoughts. He was all wrapped up with his girlfriend and Bob Geldoff's refusal to let her take his kids to Australia and pretty upset about that, but who knows? Hardly matters. He ain't any less dead whatever the proximate cause was. Just a litte odd to strip naked before you off yourself...especially given you're gonna be found covered in your own crap. Not sure what kind of message that would be intended to send.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

C’mon. You have to laugh at someone that likes masturbation so much that they hang themself while doing it. Even with all his movies and Kung Fu, that is what he will be remembered for. Now where’s my belt?

Boognish likes this.
  9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Look at the back cover of Diver Down. The crowd was Ginormous.

10. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

People don’t think rationally when they off themselves.

Watch the documentary, it’s not a tabloid job it was very well done and covered a lot of things from his band mates and those close to him.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5938950/

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. Baelzebub

I will. His end certainly didn't affect my respect for his music and talent. I liked them when it wasn't fashionable and still listen to an awesome anthology I picked up 30 years or so ago. It holds up.

But people remember the things the way they want to, especially when a camera is on, so I take all that with a grain of salt. I did read the coroner's report, and although he saw no reason for a formal inquest he documented the day or two before and the events and observations of the people with him a the time. Those I think, being closer to the events and by a disinterested party are probably more valid. He merely said the COD was hanging and left it at that.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Baelzebub

I'd actually bet even money that Carradine was probably homicide. Thailand has a history of listing every farang death as suicide. To do otherwise would be bad for the tourism which is, or rather was, the lifeblood of their economy.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Le Misanthrope Silver Member

I worked in a record store in 1983-85. When Shabooh Shooah came out, I really liked it. But that wasn't there first release. There were two or three EPs released in Australia prior. I remember (perhaps poorly) ordering three but only receiving two. Hutchence was much less of a pretty boy, and the music was very different. Sounded thin and poorly/amateurishly produced IIRC- haven't heard those releases in many years. Still, I liked the EPs. I had them special ordered and waited weeks to get them... never knew another American that got copies of those releases, although I am sure some did.
    Someone (sorry, I forget who) mentioned Andrew Farris (INXS guitarist) in the thread about good funky guitarist a few days ago and it reminded me how much I enjoyed INXS and yes, they were quite talented.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    BuddyHollywood likes this.
  14. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Not a fan of INXS personally - always thought they were a bit too "poppy" for me.

Sadly in my mind Michael Hutchence will always be the trigger for a series of tragedies with his death, followed by Paula Yates, then Peaches Geldof. While I was not a fan of Bob Geldof either, I met him with his kids in Margate once and it was clear they meant everything to him. When I see him now he seems a broken man - so much sadness to carry.

Oh - and for all those with smartass remarks about suicide; twice I have lost people very, very close to me without any clue it was going to happen. I firmly believe they were not in a rational state of mind at the time and could not make sensible decisions. The pain of not knowing why never goes away.

Baelzebub likes this.
  15. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

An ex-friend of mine went to jail 6 or 8 yrs ago after getting into a fight with his 60+ yr old neighbor in the street in front of his house. He punched the neighbor and the guy fell, hit his head on the street, and died. This guy was his neighbor for like 30+ years. And always hated him because he's a d-bag. That's why we're not friends anymore.

Personally, I was hoping they'd give him the max, whatever it was. Unfortunately, he got time served and let out on probation or parole. This was after he had just gotten out for stealing a couple of 4 wheelers and motorcycles. Yea, he's a POS.

16. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

There's a documentary on YouTube about Dave and the Neve? console he saved from the studio the recorded the 2nd? Nirvana album at. Music City? Something. I'll have to go check.

Edit: Sound City. That's it.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  17. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-Talker

Some of the INXS albums were hit and miss. Overproduced or underproduced, with strange mixes.

Consummate musicians though, great songwriters and live they had a certain chemistry that really made their good songs shine through.

It’s funny you should mention this but on a similar vein…..

I saw A-Ha live a few years ago - 2016, right before I got my diagnosis. Had a few of their studio albums lying around, always thought they were a bit ‘meh’

Holy mother of god they were good live. A PROPER rock band with the guitar sitting where it should be in the mix. Complete eye opener and a great live performance!

I’d suggest a lot of good 80s bands were buried by bad mixes, fad recording techniques and dodgy studio trends….

BuddyHollywood and Blackmore Fan like this.
  18. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Always loved this

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  19. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Seen them many many times and never really thought they sucked. But they were not my favourite band.

Played a few good gigs at the patch tho.

Just Keep Walking is their best song their early raw stuff is better than the late 80's.

shobotan likes this.
  20. WhiteWabbit

WhiteWabbit Senior Stratmaster

Hey, it’s nothing against The Who, I love em but going by your definition of a basic kick ass rock and roll band it just seemed to perfectly define AC/DC. I wouldn’t call The Who basic at all.
    [​IMG]

StratoMutt likes this.