INXS sucked eggs

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, May 1, 2021.

1. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Really ?
    This is where we're at?

Neil.C, cranky, nadzab and 1 other person like this.
  2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Let's split the difference and call The Who the best kick-ass rock and roll band who didn't play the same song over and over..... :whistling:

And lest you think that's a knock on AC/DC, it's not. That's in their own words.

Love em both plenty of room at the top.

3. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I liked them when they were out and still enjoy hearing them on the radio but I'm not going to claim I'm a huge fan. I will say however that whoever the guitar player is had a clean tone that even before I started playing guitar I thought was fantastic. Especially on Need You Tonight. Those descending chords sound huge. Probably the bass that helps but still.

BuddyHollywood and Baelzebub like this.
  4. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

QUOTE="Baelzebub, post: 4316574, member: 73425"]If I remember he dies from auto-erotic asphyxiation gone wrong...(or maybe not wrong). I never heard that taxi driver stuff....[/QUOTE]

David Caradine too. Beat off and simultaneously hang yourself?
    Something wrong with this thinking I’d say.
    In both cases.
    How embarrassing to be found hanging dead holding a shriveled member...:eek:

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  5. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

:)

In the context of the Rock and Roll Circus show... gets no more basic than that, yet no one else came close to bringing the house down.

Maybe I'm the opposite when it comes to AC/DC. They are too basic. Aside from Angus' clever at times licks, I've never been wowed by the rest of the band. Bland, boring comes to mind.

imwo.

WhiteWabbit likes this.
  6. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Without a doubt the best three days of music I ever experienced, though I missed some of it. And it WAS going on 40 years ago. But I do remember a lot of it.

I was stationed up in Twentynine Palms at the time, and did not have enough money for a hotel near Glen Helen (nor a car at the time) so had to ride the Desert Stage bus back and forth each day.

Because of timing, I missed parts of each day. The list on the shirt wasn't order of actual performances; lots of reshuffling as bands arrived late or swapped days.

Day one I didn't get to see Men at Work or The Clash, which bummed me - - Men at Work were huge at the time in my personal playlist. I didn't come to know the Clash until later in life.

Saw nearly all of day two... had to leave while VH was on stage or miss my bus back.

Day three I got there late (Holiday, had the day "off" but had to stand firewatch in the early morning). Got there when SVZ's band was just wrapping up.

John Cougar... I don't recall him actually showing up though he's on the shirt.

Because of my musical tastes at the time, Day 3 was my fav... Every band that day I was well into.

Also the only time in my life I got to see Stevie Nicks perform live, even though I have three times had tickets to Fleetwood Mac shows. Each time either they cancelled or I couldn't go.

Huge venue, huge crowd, weather was "hot" but I'd been living in the Mojave for months so NBD to me... amazing sound system. Crazy good time. Didn't die.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  7. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I was like 9 or 10 when I got a copy of my sister's copy of her friend's INXS cassette. I liked it a lot. It sounded cool -- cool tunes, cool singing, and I had no idea what the singer looked like. Couldn't have been any more gimmicky than all the gymnastics spandex topless makeup pyrotechnics stuff surrounding it.

I never liked super shreddy stuff. Now I'm starting to appreciate the technical prowess of shredders more, but only for the skill, not really what's done with it.

I feel like I was listening to INXS and other such stuff waiting for Nirvana to come rescue me.

8. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

I was literally only talking to friends the other night about when I met INXS in 1993 and how Michael especially was a very humble ‘normal’ guy given how famous they were at the time. They were actually all very normal guys.

INXS were and still are a huge influence on me as I grew up listening to them amongst many others. IMO one of the best drums and bass combos ever. Probably the best live band I’ve seen.

9. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

It’s a cool thing when you meet people you admire and they turnout to be nice people.

BuddyHollywood and Bladesg like this.
  10. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

This is the guy who was bashing academics a couple days ago, yeah?

11. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

That was the Goo Goo Dolls for me. I live in Western New York, so they come from my part of the world. I considered them "meh" until I saw them live. They put on a really fine performance. Also, Robby Takac does a lot for the local music scene here. I've seen him play more than the Goo Goo Dolls proper.

As for INXS, they were one of my two accurate predictions for the 80s. In my undergraduate days I predicted both INXS and Prince would be BIG; as in too big for their own good, and yes, my professor who was teaching about these things pronounced INXS as "INKS"; I had to correct him. My one "miss" at the time was Jimmy Cliff, who I also thought would be too big for his own good, but I was wrong, though I maintain, not about his talent, only his celebrity. Celebrity no longer particularly impresses me; nowadays you can become famous for a sex tape.

NOTE: Check out Nile Rodgers remix of INXS' "Original Sin". Back in the Day I had this on vinyl. Yes, the ladies did like Michael Hutchence, but Planet Earth is tired of me going on about the Tyranny of the Pretty People, so I'll hold my tongue about the subject - this time.

JAMES

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    BuddyHollywood likes this.
  12. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

INXS couldn't hold a candle to the Archies as a matter of fact why in the heck is the Archies not in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? Who can I confront about this? Sorry Veronica died from an undetermined STD.

13. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

????

JAMES

jbylake likes this.
  14. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

Possibly a bit before your time, if you don't get the (admittedly lame) joke.

15. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Betty became a junkie then after rehab married Jughead. They had 7 kids.

jbylake likes this.
  16. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Senior Stratmaster

what he did was suck us in.

17. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

I think The Who and The Kinks both get WAY too little mention (especially the Kinks). The Who were completely formative when it comes to what we think of when we now say rock-n-roll. They were literally spoken of in the same breath as the Beatles and the Stones and Led Zeppelin. And the Kinks weren't far behind. I could make the argument that the Kinks were as talented as any of the aforementioned groups, and only managed a slightly less amazing career because they never made the "we're heartthrobs" moves that the other bands did.

Neil.C and StratoMutt like this.
  18. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

You say that like there's something wrong with that...?

19. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

I'm a massive fan of the drum wrecker Keith Moon. No one ever played with that much insane intensity during the era. Provided he was not too high on whatever...

Yes, a show off to some extent, but even without the visual... :eek:

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  20. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Strat-Talk Member

I don’t know. I think INXS was a very influential pop group. I hear a lot of David Bowie influence in the rock solid vocals of Michael Hutchence.

Plus, if you think INXS sucked eggs, you’re completely wrong. Ray Charles played on one of their albums.

BuddyHollywood likes this.