INXS sucked eggs

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Antstrat, May 1, 2021.

1. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

I often am.

IMMusicRulz and Baelzebub like this.
  2. StratoMutt

E, G, A and D get old. Fast.

Pete used so many beautiful sounding chords. Clean acoustic to bombastic electric stacks.

3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I dunno..ya gotta be fair..it's held up for 50 years....and sometimes Pete was what you needed...other times it was AC/DC. I don't see them as being mutually exclusive, or lesser/greater. Just great rock.

Blackmore Fan and StratoMutt like this.
  4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Even cooler when you meet them while still at their humble beginnings...and almost 50 years later after reaching the pinnacle of fame, they're still the same humble, kind people they were then.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  5. StratoMutt

Ok then! :)

Baelzebub likes this.
  6. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

I think you missed the point of the thread title.

7. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Ray Charles was over-rated.

Just kidding. ;)

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  8. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

You know, I think the INXS we got here as locals was way different to the 'export version' commercialized pop/rock phenomena of the early 90's.

One thing I will always remember, same as it was for most of our local talent, is that they behave very differently in front of their home crowd. It's a very different vibe.

Will Never forget venues like the Playroom or travelling as far as Lismore to see inxs and chisel double head a gig. That was gawd, january 82? back then AC/DC had played in the Miami high school hall because there wasn't a venue big enough on the coast to house the noise. by comparison, I think Blondie did a gig in the surfers paradise town hall back then. yeah... Then I think the biggest show on earth back then was KISS - who filled lang park 3 nights... for Brisbane that was fricking half the population at the time.... Oh and yeah... Seagulls, twin towns etc.... they were still rocking out to the Delltones and J.O.K tributes - big enough deals in their own niche - certainly the RSL's were pushing a different kind of music... Long before Festival Hall started to actually pull bands back in - Mind you... Axiom, Dragon, Midnight Oil, Radiators.... etc etc all played Festy or the Playroom or both. but that was certainly not the norm at the time. Most of the bads would play 2 or 3 venues (bigger pubs or clubs) because that was the culture at the time. The Big stuff like the Beatles, etc played Festy in the early days - but by the 70's it wasn't 'the venue' of choice. I guess it is just the way a city evolves, and popular opinion of the time or that narrow-minded religious bigot mentality that infests a town before it stifles everything creative that isn't about religion.

After the games in '82, QEII became the outdoor venue, and the entertainment centre was thew indoor. Only the biggest acts would book outdoor venues... I recall U2, Springsteen (on the back of Born in the USA album release) Billy Joel, Elton John, ACDC, G'nR, Pearl Jam, Madonna, even the King of Pop moonwalked the stage.

But Internationals needed to sell ticket volume and do a one-nighter - that was the cultural shift in the 90's. Big stadiums and one night only.

Such a rich history in the old venues, but nearly all of them are wiped out and replaced with moden concrete jungles. This is why preserving music history and culture is just as important if not moreso than the property developers vision.

pave paradise.... put up a parking lot. How many times has that happened here.

stratocarlster and Bladesg like this.
  9. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

How did INXS behave differently? Where they a bit more hard rock?

10. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

I have always been very much into INXS. Jon Farris is an ultra creative groove rock drummer. Every drummer should study his playing on Shabooh Shabah. He plays great on all of their albums but his unique approach is on full display on Shabooh Shabah.

Bladesg likes this.
  11. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

I think his playing on all their records was spot on.

Have a listen to the 1997 LP 'Elegantly Wasted', the drum performance and the sound they captured is incredible. From memory it was recorded at Bruce Fairbarn's studio in Canada and they used some secret techniques that Bruce and the engineer wouldn't elaborate on in an interview I read years ago.

12. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Very much more 'relaxed' in front of their home crowd. Also I think played quite loose and were more like their original selves.

In the 80's they were just getting into their stride. They had made it locally and were charting well. Gigs were always big news locally wherever they went, and they were the headline... against what were arguably "bigger" acts from overseas at the time.

I wouldn't say they were more 'hard rock', but more hard edged. a little less uptight and more unhinged... certainly I found them to be one of the most "fun" or I guess what people would classify as 'great gigs' of the time.

Antstrat likes this.