IPhone Interference

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Gallaspy, May 6, 2020.

1. Gallaspy

Gallaspy Strat-Talk Member

I’m guessing most already know this, but I was having a crackling noise from the amp with my new Strat. Started checking and worrying. Finally figured out it was from the iPhone in my front pocket. I guess I should worry about other “equipment” nearby...

The-Kid and simoncroft like this.
  2. Scarecrow937

Scarecrow937 Strat-Talker

You should hear what an electronic cigarette can do.....ugghhh!!!

The-Kid, simoncroft and Gallaspy like this.
  3. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

The other guitar player in my band sometimes forgets and leaves his smartphone on top of his amp. When he gets a text in the middle of a song we all can hear it!

Bill, tgo

simoncroft, dante1963 and Gallaspy like this.
  4. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

Well, what do you know? I’ve never had a problem (that I know of) with my iPhone. Or iPad. And I use my iPad a lot as a music “stand”. Something to watch for.

The-Kid and Gallaspy like this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

A friend brought his new Monoprice 15 over here because it was making strange noises like squealing and clicking and he wanted to know what I thought was wrong with it. When he got here it was quiet. I'm sure it was his cell phone causing the noises.

6. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I noticed a lot of noise in my amp, which I am pretty sure was coming from the new "smart" gas meter that was installed outside the window.

Gallaspy likes this.
  7. Gallaspy

Gallaspy Strat-Talk Member

We have headsets we use when riding our horses. The iPhone really interferes — oddly, sounds like a clock.

Triple Jim likes this.
  8. Scarecrow937

Scarecrow937 Strat-Talker

Yup, same as the e-cig. It can get loud depending on distance to the poles (and of course amp volume)

9. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

I have heard of this happening with cell phones causing noise from a lot of different gear, Guitars, Amps, Pedals. I don't keep any near my gear. Why take the chance.

simoncroft likes this.
  10. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

I even had an issue with an electric blanket, took forever to find the cause

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

simoncroft likes this.
  11. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-O-Master

Yeah my monoprice is bad about that.

12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

As far as I know, any amp will amplify noise from cell phones. It gets in to the guitar's pickups and gets amplified along with the usual guitar sounds.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  13. bonedust

bonedust Strat-Talker

Place an iPhone over your pickups with the guitar volume up. Even when the screen is off it is really noisy.

Gevalt likes this.
  14. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-O-Master

Oh forsure. It seems some worse than others though. Not sure why, maybe less shielding or something because its cheaply made? No clue but it definitely seems like it does it more than my other amps. Maybe its just the placebo effect or something idk lol

simoncroft likes this.
  15. sgarnett

sgarnett Senior Stratmaster

I often use the Cleartune or (fantastic) Peterson iStroboSoft apps. For a while, I was laying the iPhone on top of the combo amps, usually on the right side (simply because I'm right-handed). It worked that way great for tuning due to the direct mechanical coupling. It was just far enough from the pre-amp, and never around the pickups, so it was quiet most of the time. The occasional bursts of crackly noise were driving me nuts! I cleaned all the tube sockets, switched cables, etc. I felt like an idiot when I realized what the problem was. While ElectroMagnetic Compatibility testing is not my job, I've spent enough time around the chamber as a designer or consultant to know better. Doh! :oops:

simoncroft likes this.
  16. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

I learned the hard way to leave my phone away from my guitar, my digital recorder, and my Line 6 wireless setup. With my digital recorder I thought it was going bad after years of use, but it the noise in the recording sounded like digital hash. Cell phone. During a gig once, I started noticing the signal on my wireless setup dropping from full bars of signal to a single bar...and back. I even had a couple of drop outs. I thought it was an issue with the battery pack or the power supply. Again, cell phone interference.

simoncroft likes this.
  17. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

I'm glad to hear that, because quite a few guitarists use one or the other as a platform for software such as Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar, or just to play backing tracks, live. I've used my iPhone to play background music during an intermission, and had no problem. My best guess is there are a number of variables, including the physical relationship between the iPhone/iPad and the amp, whether there is an electric guitar in the equation, and the general health of the wiring in the venue.

18. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I never get any noise from mine (Android) and it's always between me and the amp 3 feet away. At gigs it used to sit on the top of the Princeton. :)

Robins and simoncroft like this.
  19. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

And, there is a part of me that wonders if the internal power supply for the phone is dying. What back when I used to fly sailplanes (as a hobby) in central IL, we continuously had problems with specific communication radios. When the zener diodes in the the started to die, we would get the worst static and glitchy behavior in the few other electronic instruments in the cockpit. And the audio in the radio would begin to “motorboat”. Sounded like a little outboard boat engine going by.

Of course, you also have Bluetooth, WiFi and Cell transmitters all transmitting as well....so....

20. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Any cellphone.

Modems arent bad but cellphones or anything that gives off or take heavy radio waves yeah.