Is a vintage Hardtail a bad investment?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Parksie, Oct 13, 2021.

1. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Considering most new Mexican Fender models sell for 1K+ new the days of under 2K early 70s Strats are long gone.

2. dreamingstrat

dreamingstrat Strat-Talker

I think 70’s have been more consistent pricing than earlier year models. This is just what Ive noticed. Of course there’s been a recent price increase year after year, but they stayed within 2-3k range more or less.

i was eyeing a 74 Tele for around 3.5k Aud back 2017 and ive seen teles in same era for not much more nowadays.

the 74 tele I was looking at was heavier than a boat anchor though. Ahahahah

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

My 78 is heavy as heck. Sounds like the early 70's were a lot lighter.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Agree - very sharp!

Erik_C and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

I’ll check the weight and try and post more pics

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

- Those hardtails are not light by default. It's the same highly-variable wood as any Strat. My ash '76 hardtail was an anvil.
    - They don't sound like a Strat and Tele combined. They sound like a Strat.
    - Guitars are not investments.
    - Hardtails can be a slower sell. I dig them. Many players just see them as a Strat that's broken.
    - If you like it, buy it, but be sure to give it a good in-person playing, first. That, or rely on a liberal return policy.
    - People occasionally get a good '70s Strat, but my '76 hardtail was the worst guitar I've owned. Really.

7. wjsb316

wjsb316 Strat-Talker

I mean, it's bad In the sense that the guitar is probably shifty

But vintage instruments are vintage instruments. Someone will likely pay a ton for it in the simi distant future

Just wait til 90s strats become hot tickets...

abnormaltoy likes this.
  8. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

"Ive heard the hardtails are light and sound like a strat and a tele combined." Can't bank on either of those claims. The lack of the trem and springs weight is probably balanced out by not having wood removed for the trem cavity . It has STRAT pickups, not Tele, and you can't get the neck and bridge combo, so how can it sound like a strat and tele combined ? And hard to sell ? You could sell that in a minute if it's priced right so be careful what YOU pay for it. But if you are already worried about selling it, maybe you shouldn't buy it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  9. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

This^

I had a 74 Strat that was such a POS I gave it away. Bought it new kept it till about 79. Neck wobbled in pocket, nut and tuners were junk pickups were dead. Gave it to a co workers son who was just learning to play along with my Silvertone tube head /cabinet. Coupled with the awful QC from Fender CBS and my meager at the time set up skills it was a disaster.

The 76 is fabulous.

They are truly hit or miss, no way I buy a CBS era Fender without a extensive test drive. My set up skills now could probably make that 74 stable and playable but it was truly junk.

abnormaltoy and Parksie like this.
  10. Censport

Censport Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

Mmmm... I've always liked the candy apple red & rosewood combination. Only had one in that scheme though, a second-generation Malmsteen.

Anyway, back when 70s Strat were $500 all day long, I had a bunch of them. From '72 (avatar pic) to '79. All were tremolo guitars, as hardtails rarely popped up in my area. As others have noted, build quality was wildly inconsistent. So were neck shapes. Thick U, thin C, even had one with a distinct 50s V profile. Don't have any of them now, but would like to have the '72 back for sentimental reasons.

Finally have a hardtail, a Robert Cray with a Warmoth neck. Playing it right now, in fact. Love it.

The main advantages to hardtails over floating tremolos are ease of setup and tuning stability. I thought they would consistently have better sustain, but now I suspect that may depend on the body wood.

Even though most players don't use their tremolos much anymore, hardtails are only desired by a minority of players. So unless an influential player makes 70s hardtails popular, your potential buyer pool will be significantly smaller. Personally, I like them now, and my future Strat builds will be hardtails.

But the main thing affecting prices of individual 70s Strats is build quality. A hardtail that is well built and a great player should be more valuable than a sloppy tremolo guitar.

If it's a good one, buy it and play it. You won't have any regrets.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Looooonnnnngggggggone.........!!!

:D

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

The asking price is around 6K USD.

What do you think?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  13. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

I suggest that if you don't know whether or not something is a good investment or not...don't invest in it.

If you like the guitar, buy it as a guitar...then if you ever sell it, you've enjoyed it, which is priceless.

Stratbats, dirocyn, hrstrat57 and 2 others like this.
  14. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Wise words.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  15. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

I may not be current, but even with the way prices have risen I would think that is a bit high for a hardtail.

Doug B likes this.
  16. tubedude

tubedude Strat-Talker

True, but it's not a '60's Strat, and it's missing the trem. It might not increase in value like more desirable Strats.

17. Riderock

Riderock Strat-Talk Member

For $6000 I would rather spend it on a very nice Custom Shop Strat that has the specs I prefer . Or maybe better yet , a used Custom Shop would surely at least hold it's value.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 9:46 AM
  18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I don't know what the Australian market is like, but that is very high (like 100-150% above average) for the US market.

19. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Guitars make lousy investments. It's a gamble on the market rising faster than inflation. It might; it has for the pre-CBS ones. But it's just like buying any other collectible--baseball cards, comic books, etc. You really don't know what the future prices will be, and you have to keep it in good shape to be able to sell it for a profit.

I don't buy guitars that I intend to sell.

20. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

You don't want to know...

Parksie and Ebidis like this.