Is Billy F Gibbons the coolest human alive?

Sparque

Seriously-Stratified
Nov 20, 2019
Harvest, AL
^^This. I am as big a BFG and ZZ Top fan as there ever was, have been since the early 70's, but it's not hard to see that BFG's "coolness" is an act. And playing that show after Dusty's death was as un-cool a thing as they could have done.

BFG is still my guitar hero, but that's it.

If we live long enough, we will live long enough to disappoint even our most ardent admirers.

:(

Willmunny

Thread killer
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Nw Washington USA
The guys in Ministry tell a story that Billy rolled into a small gig of theirs and invited them to dinner.
He told them that he had been using their synthetic drum beats for a while, and wanted to tell them
They didn't seem to mind, even felt good about it
He is certainly in my top 5 cool list

Dick Blackmore

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2017
Black Hole
Dusty literally picked the guy and told them to go on!

Ozzy played shows within 48 hours of Randy Rhodes dying. 2 sold out shows at Madison Square Garden with Bernie Torme on guitar gimme a ****ing break. Some of us go to work instead of sitting around crying. You deal with it how YOU deal with it and **** off if you don’t like my or anybody else’s reaction.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief

Ozzy played shows within 48 hours of Randy Rhodes dying. 2 sold out shows at Madison Square Garden with Bernie Torme on guitar gimme a ****ing break. Some of us go to work instead of sitting around crying. You deal with it how YOU deal with it and **** off if you don’t like my or anybody else’s reaction.
The show must go on.

guitarface

Most Honored Senior Member
Nov 11, 2012
New Jersey

Take it easy.

ButchA

Strat-Talker
His coolness diminished a bit for me when he played a ZZTop show the day after Dusty died as though it almost never happened.
I heard about that... ZZ Top without Dusty on Bass would be "Z Top". I honestly don't know what Billy Gibbons or Frank Beard are thinking, but whatever they want to do.... Who cares at this time in life? Get a "guitar tech" to sit-in on bass guitar, taking Dusty's spot, is NOT cool!!!

Bakelite1

Strat-O-Master
Nov 26, 2020
Vancouver BC
I almost died once. I remember being most concerned about how my death would affect others. I think Mr. Hill wanted his friends to keep going. I think Mr. Gibbons and Mr. Beard feel like they should keep it going to honor Mr. Hill. Dealing with personal loss is one of the really big ones. Helping your loved ones cope is a really kind gesture.