Is buying a Strat that weighs 7 pounds likely?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

I HAVE to buy a Stratocaster because IMHO, EVERY guitarist needs one :)

But..................................................................................

The only guitars I have ever owned are all Telecasters, and I have some that weigh anywhere from 6 lb 9 oz, up to as much as 7 lb 8 oz.

I really want an American Made Strat (even though I'm not 100% opposed to a MIM or MIJ Strat), but my question is it it likely that it will be easy to find a Strat in the above Tele weight range, or am I dreaming?

Jesse414 likes this.
  2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply SHY. Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi, @Digiplay

I believe Sweetwater lists weight for guitars in their Guitar Gallery for sales.

Single Malt, PCollen, Tim S and 8 others like this.
  3. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-Talker

4. Dougj

Dougj New Member!

The average weight of an American stat in about 8.lb have I have played 8lb 6oz I am around your age and play Tele, Strat, Gibson standard they are very close in weight my lightest is D'Angerlico SS hollow body you may get close to 7lb.8oz if you go to the guitar center and check them out personally Good luck with your search let us know how you get on.

Jesse414 likes this.
  5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Strat-Talk Supporter

Custom Shop Strats are often in the 7.5 pound range.

In my opinion, you are right in seeking a lighter guitar, both for comfort and body resonance.

6. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

You can find them in between 7 and 8 pounds. It's hard to get lighter than 7, because there is only so much you can do when the body has a big chunk of steel in it.

Tim S, Stonetone, Engine Swap and 2 others like this.
  7. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

Most online music stores with galleries of the actual guitars list weights.

Sweetwater, Musicstorelive, Zzounds, all list weights of their instruments in their galleries. (Less expensive guitars, like Affinity, arent shown individually).

I've purchased guitars from all three and they are all reputable and reliable companies to work with. If there is something wrong with your order, they will take good care of you.

Its just a matter of patience if you are looking for a specific weight, wood pattern, or other unique feature.

Single Malt and Jesse414 like this.
  8. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Stevierayfan91 is correct look at these Screenshot_2020-06-13-21-51-54.png Screenshot_2020-06-13-21-51-54.png

Tim S likes this.
  9. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Strat-Talk Supporter

That one in the lower left says 6 lb 11 oz!

Sarnodude and Willmunny like this.
  10. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep, 7 to 8 pounds all day long. Unless you swap out the big chunk of steel for a big chunk of copper. Then you add another 1.5 pounds.
    Ask me how I know. Lol
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

11. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Easy to build one. Just get a GFS Paulownia body. Done.

dogletnoir and Antmax like this.
  12. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

My ash-body hardtail is a featherweight at 6.2lbs.
    All that Stratty goodness, none of the fat :)

Robins and Paperback Rocker like this.
  13. gretev

gretev Strat-Talker

There are Strats that weight 7 pounds and even under 7 pounds. I would estimate that the average weight for a Strat is around 7.5 pounds. Custom Shop models tend to include light guitars in their range much more often than in the American Fender range. I see American Fenders weigh in around 8 pounds (which I find heavier for Strats) quite often. But if you look for Custom Shop Strats online I am sure you will find 7 pound Strats. Also, you could custom order a Strat and specify the weight. However, this might only be possible on masterbuilt guitars which I think can cost 6000 USD and upwards...

14. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talker

My American made strats weigh in at: Honestly It’s hard to tell apart 7.4lbs from 7.7

2014 54 reissue 6.9lbs
    2014 54 reissue 7.0lbs
    2013 56 reissue 7.1lbs
    2014 54 reissue 7.4lbs
    2013 56 reissue 7.4lbs
    2014 54 reissue 7.6lbs
    2015 56 reissue 7.7lbs
    2013 56 reissue 7.7lbs
    1993 American Standard 7.7lbs

15. gretev

gretev Strat-Talker

Here‘s another tip and since you‘re a Tele player you might like it. Get a hardtail Strat! They tend to be lighter cause of the missing metal hardware. I love hardtail Strats but unfortunately do not own one. Also, I seem to have observed that ash Strats tend to be lighter than alder Strats. I have seen hardtail ash Strats that were incredibly light. Less than 6.5 pounds.

Tim S and Paperback Rocker like this.
  16. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talk Member

+1. That's what I did, the guitar in my Avatar is an old VM Squier I changed the body out for a paulownia one from GFS sprayed it with transparent metallic green lacquer and it weighs 5.116 lbs. Over 2 lbs lighter than with the original basswood body. I was worried it might sound dull but quite the contrary, it resonates really loudly acoustically kind of like my semi-hollow, feels quite alive and still sounds good amped.

17. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

That greatly depends on the pice of ash. Ash can vary greatly in weight and density. Anywhere from very light, to much heavier than your average piece of alder. I owned an ash bodied Strat that was 9+pounds, I have held ash Strats and Teles that were 10 pounds or more, but I own an ash Tele that is 6.75 pounds.

arcticstrat and gretev like this.
  18. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Chicago Music Exchange online and Willcutt Guitars online are stores that also list the guitar weights. Wilcutt at the bottom of their detailed description of all new and used guitars, and Chicago Music Exchange somewhere in the description of their vintage, and used guitars, and most of their new, spendier American made guitars.
    All Guitar Centers, and many other music stores, ones that do any shipping, will have an accurate digital postal scale in back. You can request to have a guitar you’re interested in weighed before buying.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Paperback Rocker likes this.
  19. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I think you're talking about Swamp Ash mostly. Fenders Ash bodied Strats of the '70s were some of the heaviest Strats ever made, and at the time Fender tried to tell us they sustained better because of it. [​IMG]

ChukkerNation likes this.
  20. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

Building one is another way to get the weight you want. I made this one which weights only 6lbs 10 oz ! Roasted ash (from warmoth) helps on the weight.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    SAguitar, HKStrat and gretev like this.