Is buying a Strat that weighs 7 pounds likely?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

You guys seem to be suggesting that lighter weight results in some kind of an advantage?

r

dogletnoir likes this.
  2. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talker

I agree but I would also point out a lot of 50s swamp asH Strats are in the upper 7s to 8lb range.
    I don’t think 8lbs is heavy for a Strat but according to most online forum guitar players 8lbs is a boat anchor for some reason and to be avoided at all costs. I will say from my own collection I don’t really notice a difference between my 7lb to my 7.7lbs. Also, every sub Strat or Tele I’ve owned in the 6lbs range I have sold off.

3. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

Yeah, it's less heavy on the shoulder.

Andrew Wasson, Neil.C, Ebidis and 2 others like this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

If you poke around image searches you can find where players have removed the trem block/springs/claw and filled the hole with a block of wood they drill through for strings (some add ferrules, some let the string balls stop at the bridge plate), screw the block in place, and then screw the bridge plate down to that for a hard tail option. They can remove the block and return the parts to stock any time and easily that way.

gretev likes this.
  5. Ronkirn

Well yeah, but the same guys complaining, wouldn't EVER whine to a 117 pound bikini babe sitting on their shoulders.. :p Like, "Yo, Babe. Hows about loosing a few pounds there, Sweetie..." :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

6. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Strat-Talker

Paulwonia body will get it down to that kind of weight .Very toneful bright wood .I had a strat but still have my Tele with that wood .love it .light as a feather .

7. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

GC is full of used Strat's and G&L's, in the 8.5 to 10 pound range. They are heavy to gig with, you can't sell them, so they get traded at a low price. I know what I'll buy.

8. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-O-Master

Out of curiosity, I just weighed my Strats on a digital postal scale.
    • Affinity = 7 pounds 5 ounces
    • Hardtail partscaster = 7 pounds 12 ounces
    Although they are close in weight, the feel and play completely different. Love 'em both.

I thought the Affinity might be under 6 pounds, because it has the thinner neck and body, plus a swimming pool route and tiny trem block.

9. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

i wanted to buy the vegas gold special edition sparkle tele so bad i salivated but it weighed 9+ pounds. i had to reject almost every tele i tried due to boat anchor syndrome but the weight issue is for my comfort since i have a wonky shoulder and am not built like a line backer.

you will have to search but there are under 8 pound strats and teles out there.

10. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

Just for conversations sake, I weighed a Squier bridge & associated pieces including the trem bar. 11.25 ounces. This is with the cast block saddles.

That includes everything associated with it. Springs, fully assembled bridge & thin block, claw, mounting screws for bridge & claw, and bar.

Research says the Fender vintage bridge with bent saddles weighs 11.95 ounces or 339 grams.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  11. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talker

What about Les Pauls. 8.5 is not a heavy guitar.

12. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Swamp Ash only exists as marketing term. It's not a species. It means whatever some ad man wants, and so far as I can tell it means whatever ash is cheaper this week. Some ash strats are heavy and some are light.

Almost all strats are 8 lbs, plus or minus 1.5. probably it does make some part of the guitars individual timbre, but it's hard to predict that difference before a guitar is complete. There are a whole lot of things that contribute to timbre. The weight ain't much compared to a p bass or a Les Paul.

13. gretev

gretev Strat-O-Master

is that an average weight? It would be interesting to know the average weight of the piece of wood plus ferrules present in a hardtail and compare the difference to a tremolo Strat to see how much lighter on average hardtails are.

14. Ronkirn

if ya want to know the weight of the parts that REALLY make a difference, weigh your fingers.. :p

tlp123, billybuck and Believer7713 like this.
  15. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

As a working musician, I was available to play 7 days a week, 4 to 8 hours a day. I would often do back to back recording sessions. I've owned 10 pound guitars, and sold them as I needed to play for a living. I no longer buy guitars over 8 lbs. I play PRS Singlecut's in the 6 to 7 pound range. Most of my work was done with a 7.5 pound Swamp Ash Special. I will pay for a quality guitar.

If you or anyone else likes heavier guitars, feel free to play them and enjoy them.

Neil.C and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Weight makes a huge difference to me. Currently I'm mainly playing my Junior, because at 6lbs, I can actually pick it up and be reasonable comfortable with it.

17. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Mine really are all over the place when it comes to weight. Now, I have never been a working guitarist but have played several hour sessions. I typically tend to choose my guitars by how they play and the voicings I can get from them over the weight.

My heaviest is my Jazz Bass weighing in at 10.48 pounds
    Then my Jackson Dinky at 9.04 pounds (imagine if that one was a full sized strat body)
    Next is Gracie which weighs 8.88 pounds (ash body)
    The P90 Monster is 8.86 pounds (ash body)
    Followed by Cosmo, My Kramer, at 8.68 pounds (plywood body)
    MIJ Contemporary strat 8.36 pounds (alder body)
    The white Strat Contemporary HH Active is 7.8 pounds (alder body)
    1995 Bullet Series (MIC) 7.8 pounds (Basswood body)
    the two MIM Squier Series Strats are 8.42 (black/maple) and 7.62 (White/Rosewood) (alder bodies)
    The two RR's are 7.48 (black) 7.34 (white) Alder Bodies)
    The Charvel is 7.34 pounds (Mahogany body and neck)

I weighed them all with a hand held luggage scale that we use to make sure we haven't over packed for trips. It's the best way I have found to weigh a guitar...hook it on a tuner and lift only takes a couple seconds to lock in the weight and the guitar is fully suspended.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

18. Thrup'ny Bit

All being made of tree wood, my guitars weigh in at:

Hohner Bass 9lb 6oz
    Classic Vibe 50 Telecaster 8lb 0oz
    Classic Player 50s Stratocaster 7lb 6oz
    ST54 Stratocaster 7lb 4oz
    Geddes CSL Stratocaster 7lb 4oz
    Harley Benton DC Junior 6lb 1oz

Believer7713 likes this.
  19. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

What's funny about this to me is that until I came here I didn't worry about how much any of my guitars weighed. I just knew that some were heavier than others but didn't really care. There are only two guitars that I have ever owned that I cared about the weight. The first was the Hondo II Bass that I had in college that I think was so heavy it had to be made from Iron Wood. The second was the Epiphone Les Paul that I had about 11 years ago that was close to the Hondo bass in weight.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  20. Thrup'ny Bit

I only weighed mine because I got asked "how much do your guitars weigh" so often here too. I did know which hurt most to pick up though. The bass needs rocket boosters just to get it off the ground.

Ebidis and Believer7713 like this.