Is buying a Strat that weighs 7 pounds likely?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 13, 2020.

1. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

I weight them because I make partscasters and I want to aim where I like, in this area and other ones.

Believer7713 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

With arthritis and spinal injuries/surgery, there is no way a bikini babe is sitting on my shoulders unless I plan a trip to the emergency room. :D

So yeah, weight does matter to me, but only for reasons of comfort; not some magical tone formula.

Andrew Wasson and dogletnoir like this.
  3. Ebidis

I have never weighed mine, and don't own a scale. I only know that the Tele I bought from Sweetwater was listed as 6lbs 13oz, so going by that known quantity, I can guesstimate that all of my guitars are under 8 pounds.

The only one that is lighter than the Tele is my Hofner Beatle Bass, but it has a small, hollow body.

Believer7713 likes this.
  4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Your fingers weigh 6 pounds?? :p

somethings are just worth the struggles ...

r

tlp123 and johnnymg like this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Well they feel like they are made of lead. o_O

Ebidis likes this.
  6. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

What's the obsession with weight in the past few years?

It doesn't matter one jot to me if a guitar weighs 7lbs or 8.

If it plays well and sounds good, who's bothered?

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Give it thirty years and hope you haven't found out.

8. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

. It's my understanding that swamp Ash are Ash trees that grow in swamp land or wet areas, that when they are cut down and dried out are less dense than regular Ash causing it to be lighter in weight. I don't doubt guitar ad men use this term for any type of Ash that happens to be light weight, but swamp Ash does exist and isn't just something ad men dreamed up.

9. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talker

I guess I'm just not buying that 8lbs is too heavy for that. Even at 4-8 hours a day that's not very stressful to the body compared to 90 percent of the blue collar jobs out there

I was a working musician as well and never had an issue with a guitar in the 8-9lbs range. I still know many working musicians who sling heavy gibsons and they probably don't know what their guitars weigh.
    Infact many working musicians I know don't talk about these details. It's just forum talk or maybe we are all lucky and don't have the issues you seem to.

Many working bassists 8-9lbs that's just the norm. I did studio work as well and a lot of that was sitting down with headphones so the guitar could have weighed 15lbs and it wouldn't have mattered.

Ebidis likes this.
  10. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talker

I saw an arthritic 76 year old last summer at Soldier's Field sling a 50s Gibson Es 355 with a Bigsby on it.

11. Ebidis

I'm not saying it isn't possible, I just prefer lighter weight.

Neil.C, johnnymg and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

Youth is wasted on the young...

Ebidis likes this.
  13. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talker

And that sir I respect. It's the attitude I see on forums were players write of anything over 8lbs as something they wouldn't touch. If my Gretsch Country Gent weighed less than 8lbs it would be a neck diver some guitars are just meant to weigh more.

Ebidis likes this.
  14. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

There is a lot more than guitar weight, that effects things. Sometimes I'll play for a recording artist, where the play time is short and backlines are provided. But, I was band leader and often played electric guitar, acoustic and 5-string bass.

Other times I would front an amateur band, loading, hauling and setting up PA equipment. I switched to neodymium speakers in my large guitar amps and PA mains and monitors. I was living and playing in Florida, where you often play outside in the heat, sun and humidity. I would be trying to drink water and survive (sing), kind of like running a marathon. Then there were times when my wife played drums. She tried to help, but it didn't always workout that way.

Now, I'm retired and it's not as big of an issue. I'm just remembering how physically hard it could be.

dogletnoir likes this.
  15. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

I have a 6lb strat! Actually, a warmoth strat.
    It a chambered alder hardtail with a modern construction maple/maple neck.

I dont think there are many actual Fenders that are below 7lbs. Especially since there are very few hardtails out there.

Wound_Up likes this.
  16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

While for some there is a true need due to medical issues... there has been an uncanny increase of the number of guys with bad backs etc .. Personally I feel many are using the bad whatever as a rationalization ..

Since the early 90's with the introduction of the internet, there has been an evolution of a rationale suggesting that some features are directly responsible for better tone.

It began with the difference between Nitro and other finishes... Well as that was quashed.. but, those that labored under the assumption that Nitro = better tone because it allowed the wood to resonate weren't so easily convinced.. So they didn't sound like dolts repeating what had been explained away, they shifted to breathing wood, with the same surreptitious rationale.. i.e resonating wood . . well a number of us shared how you cannot just "add" resonance unmetered, doing so can result in a litany of sonic problems like Wolf notes ...

Well those looking for an instant source of superior tone weren't so easily put off, so they abandoned the Nitro, the Breathing wood, the Resonance, and any number of tangential momentary spurts or faulty logic, to, now they can pursue all that in one fell swoop.. Light weight... and who's gonna say, nah, ya don't have a bad back. I know... :whistling:

Talk to guys long enough and sooner or later those looking for light weight because of a bad back have a "Freudian moment", the they spill the beans... going on about tone, resonance and weight in about one word with an, Oh yeah, and I have a bad back, knees, ankles, and .. Umm. and.., Oh yeah.. My arms go to sleep. yeah, that's it... :rolleyes:

Now there is nothing wrong with having what ya want.. all ya gotta say is I just plain want it that way daggnabbit... but to paraphrase John Suhr, over on TGP.. He said he has never heard a particularly bad guitar with a notable heft, he cannot say the same for Light Weight guitars...

You guys that are in a constant search for light weight that do not have a genuine need, are venturing in to the realm of potential sonic disaster..

rk

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

I started avoiding 12lb CBS Strats and Norlin Les Pauls back in the 1970s when I was still a bright young thing, it's nothing new.

johnnymg likes this.
  18. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Do you really think Leo or CBS or FMIC actually knows where their ash wood comes from, whether it grew in a swamp or not? That's not something that the timber industry actually keeps track of.

When trees are cut--a logging crew gets rights to cut a particular tract of land. Sometimes they are looking for one or more particular species; in that case they'll put together truckloads of a species--but the trees on the truck come from all over the tract. Maybe sometimes they're only logging in swampland, but if the tract has various types of terrain it all gets jumbled together on the truck. The truck driver who takes the logs to the mill has no idea which tree came from a swamp and which one didn't, and the people at they don't care. The mill doesn't know or care either, they may not even know what tract a load came from--though they do have a record of which truck it came from. And when the mill sells it, it's ash lumber, an a load of lumber may come from a whole lot of different tracts of land. It only becomes swamp ash when Fender buys it, and Fender calls all of the ash it uses "swamp ash."

Many small mills will do custom orders, where you bring in a load of logs and they charge for milling it into boards of whatever dimensions you ask for. This is the way you'd do if you dredge up a log that's been on the bottom of a river for 100 years or if you want to build something out of a specific tree. That's not the ordinary course of business, though.

Wound_Up likes this.
  19. Ebidis

I do have a bad back, and arthritis in my arms and hands, but I will admit that I just like lighter weight guitars. Not because of any magical tone formula, but I like the feel of a lighter weight guitar.

I just want it. ;)

Neil.C, Lone Woof, tinkertoy and 3 others like this.
  20. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

So, are you saying heavier guitars are sonically better ? That doesn't sound like you !

There was some pretty heavy POS made by fender in the 70's, Mr Suhr must know that.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Neil.C and Thrup'ny Bit like this.