Is buying a Strat that weighs 7 pounds likely?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

that's all it takes... no drama required..

that would be a definitive.. THAT'S not like me.. But a heavier guitar has a much better chance...

a more normal weight guitar is like the Back 40, nice and clear of live stock.. you gotta darn good chance of getting through it unmolested... an unusually light guitar is like the Back 40 with a Bull or two out there.. you MIGHT get lucky.. but... get out there and rant 'n rave.. and you may just arouse the curiosity of the hazards lurking where ya aren't looking.

Dangit guys stop looking for quantifiable attributes to make a guitar sound better .. that ONLY happens with learning how to play the darn things.. that's it . . no amount of fancy overpriced shi* added to a guitar is gonna do squat.. If ya want THAT "to die for" tone, get yer butt in the music room and practice... practice till ya cry. And of anyone tells ya, "yeah, I can, make ya a guitar that'll make ya sound just like (enter name here)".. Run Away.. that guy is fulluh cack.. If you can't play like (that guy) you can't sound like him.. on ANY guitar..

a guitar is a pretty complex sonic calculus... and tipping one factor on this side of the chalkboard may cause a theoretical explosion on the other side... everything is in play, everything is related to everything else... and everything ya do when ya mod is like pulling one card out of a house of cards... you MIGHT get lucky..

I betcha, hand any one to a Beck, a Clapton, a Knopfler.. and you are gonna want one just like it ... it's NOT the guitar... Ever. . . what's so hard to understand about that?

r

billybuck and Ebidis like this.
  2. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

Say that to Mr Suhr, who you quote, when he thinks some light guitars can be really bad, then! Explain him he's wrong and one should just learn how to play.

By the way, nobody ever said that a light guitar makes you play better or like anyone famous. I mean never. Not in this thread, not in the real world.

People tend to have tastes, that's all. Weight of guitars is one of them. What's so hard to understand about that ?

Maybe people shouldn't choose the radius, the neck profile or the pickups of a guitar just because Clapton could rock it anyway...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    chicago slim likes this.
  3. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I certainly like less weight on my shoulders, and for what it's worth, my 50s and 60s Vintage Hot Rods are the lightest Strats I have and sound spectacular.

One caution though - I put together a Tele with a Warmoth chambered body as I wanted something super light for long gigs. It had one unexpected drawback - it's my only Strat or Tele with noticeable neck dive. I've actually considered getting some little weights to put in the far right of the control cavity to balance it out.

Lone Woof and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  4. Ronkirn

Sounds like I may have struck a nerve... :D

but, Never?? that sounds like the kinda wisdom that comes from a land where they throw a handkerchief over their head and eat a half cooked bird. . and call it high cuisine . . . poor birdy.. :p

I have no problem with that... it's the predicate for those "tastes" .. I've been doing this a loooong time... and while I can still be wrong... a cultivated perception reduces the probability considerably...

r

Dougeryb, tlp123 and tinkertoy like this.
  5. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

I really appreciate your input and experience but you can't say "light guitars are more likely to be bad sounding" and then that the quality of a guitar doesn't matter sonically because only the player counts, in the same post... You have to pick a side !

When I say never, it's a figure of speech. I have a cousin who thinks he's Napoleon, so indeed everything can be heard.

But the fact that people would say a guitar with that specific stuff will make them play like a god are found only in your posts when you talk about them, not much somewhere else on the forum !

Everyone is allowed to talk and work on their personal perception of what makes a good guitar, that's such a fun trip !

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  6. Ronkirn

Sure I can.. "light guitars are more likely to be bad sounding" see... i can even say it two times.. "light guitars are more likely to be bad sounding" :p

But if i did say that, perhaps I should have said light guitars present a higher probability of sonic issues than do guitars with a bit more normal weights..

Tell your cousin, Napoleon is just a bottle of cognac .. to put a lid on it.. :D

r

7. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talker

This should be etched into a monument! This is the greatest thing I have read here. I agree 100 percent. When I hear people say 8lbs is too heavy for a Strat yet they buy one 7.5lbs is see it as internet bragging or some way of telling themselves they got something special.

8. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

Oh come on, quoting half a sentence to change the meaning ? That's kind of lame.

"light guitars are more likely to be bad sounding" : I actually tend to agree with that ! You should have stuck to that in the first place IMO instead of lecturing imaginary people (at least in this thread) who think they will play like Clapton with a light guitar.

Anyway, give a very light guitar to Clapton and he will rock it to death and you'll want one juste like him. It's in the fingers, don't forget that !

With this motto you spread everytime, why even discussing any technical matter ? Is that a way to shut down a conversation people shouldn't have ?

Making the best guitar possible and learning to play great are actually things that don't exclude one from another. There are probably great guitar makers that don't play very well...Maybe even radio repairmen that can invent a great guitar design. And people around here are already trying to play the best they can, so...

Again, thank you for your input and experience on technical matters.

Peace !

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  9. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-O-Master

Good point. Affinity’s are great instruments.

10. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-O-Master

I once had a hardtail strat that weighed 5 lbs 15 ounces. I sold it because I really needed the money.

I've built a strat with trem that weighed less than 7 pounds although I fell into a rabbit hole of journal entries trying to find documentation. The majority of my builds have been in the just over 7 pounds to 7 and a quarter pound range. My avatar was never weighed probably because I put the new neck on it right before the packing to move out of the house began and stuff like my postage scale was unavailable.

I packed the avatar on Jan 27th and it's still in the box. I have 4 guitars that could be shipped on a moment's notice but I don't have the usual pics I like to do if I'm selling something. I don't really want or need to sell them, for that I feel fortunate. Amid the exertion of preparing the family home for sale, dealing with the shutdown, purchasing not 1 but 3 guitars *gulp, did I really do that* I haven't gotten around to unpacking them.

11. Ronkirn

it depends.. is it really a genuine 7 pounds, or is it one that will read 8.5 on YOUR scale when ya get it, and the seller will say, "well, my scale was off just a little.." :rolleyes:

r

dogletnoir likes this.
  12. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

I didn't suggest that Fender or anyone else knows where their Ash comes from, what I said was that Swamp Ash does exist, because you said that it was an invention by ad men, when in fact it's a luthiers term. https://www.wood-database.com/swamp-ash/

13. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Some people don't know their ash from a hole in the ground.:D

dirocyn and fenderkev like this.
  14. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

According to the CRC World Dictionary of Plant Names (Umberto Quattrocchi, 1947) Swamp Ash is one of the local names for Fraxus Caroliniana (a.k.a. Pop Ash, Water Ash, Florida Ash, and especially Carolina Ash). Since this text predates Leo Fender's use of Swamp Ash, I was wrong about the term originating with Fender's advertising. The term also likely predates the wood's use by luthiers. Its range does include some swampy terrain (all of Florida, and the Gulf coast), but also mountainous terrain in Virginia and the Carolinas and hill terrain in Georgia.

Fraxus Caroliniana is considered a "threatened" species. Its wood is indeed light weight--22 lbs/cubic foot, vs 26-42 for Alder, 35 lbs for black ash, and 42 lbs for white ash.

Fender has used the term for any and all Ash that Fender uses. Much of which is not Fraxus Caroliniana.

dogletnoir, HKStrat and fenderkev like this.
  15. OneWatt

OneWatt Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Whether a strat weighs either a bit more or less than 7 lbs matters much less than how far apart the contractions were before it arrived.

HKStrat likes this.
  16. HKStrat

HKStrat Strat-Talk Member

Just call your Sweetwater Sales Rep and ask him if they have a Stratocaster in the weight range your looking for. I'm sure the Rep. will be happy to help you and it also saves you hours of time surfing through their inventory.

17. Rockdrummerzero

Rockdrummerzero Strat-Talk Member

I think the Select Series were guaranteed to be lightweight - and they are lovely !

18. Golem

Golem Strat-Talker

If you asked a company that regularly lists the weight of a guitar, like Sweetwater, I think you could get 7lbs or very close to it.

19. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

Well, i don't think you would argue the point that it's easier on your back muscles and spine, LOL.
    Yet another reason i love my .strandberg* guitars...
    5 lbs for my 6 string equipped with Lace Alumitones, and not much more than that for the 8 string with Fishman Fluences.
    Welcome to the 21st century.
    And since how things sound is just as much about the individual's perception as it is about the object's intrinsic qualities,
    i won't bother to make claims about whether one guitar sounds 'better' than another...
    all i care about is what feels and sounds good to me.
    De gustibus, non est disputandem.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Ruscio and Andrew Wasson like this.
  20. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

They might if she was sitting there for three or four 45 minute sets, LOL.

Ruscio and Andrew Wasson like this.