Is buying a Strat that weighs 7 pounds likely?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 13, 2020.

1. DeanIversenGreen

DeanIversenGreen Strat-Talk Member

I just picked up a Raraties that weights 6.4 lbs, its thinline of course but has a solid rosewood neck, so if I put a maple neck on it will weigh even less, a lb easily..

there was a 5.7 lb of the same model but the flame top neck was messy, not tight and even so I passed, welp it was actually gone when I finally decided to do it..

finding a 7lb is on the tough side for sure unless you go thinline like I did or find a good lite ash, or alder.. Paulwina is light so maybe build one with a Paulwina body?
    /

2. DeanIversenGreen

so does ZZsounds and Sweetwater, they also take very large resolution pics of said guitar so you get to inspect before deciding.. very good credit and layaway plans as well.. 0% 24 months is unbeatable imho...

apm1991 likes this.
  3. DeanIversenGreen

if its 52mm try to catch GFS when they have the full titanium and or Aluminum bridges, they are very nice and very bell like, so light, billet blocks, i bought several when they had em cuz they ran out so neck time I saw em bought 3 of each I think it was, still have a few going to go on Paulwina builds when I get to to it, all my heavy guitars I gotta get rid of I guess?

Antmax likes this.
  4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Sorry I didn’t find this thread earlier. My Eric Johnson Strat is the lightest weight Strat of the four that I’ve had. I haven’t weighed it but I will later. It’s a couple of pieces of alder, routed for S/S/S and it weighs less than my lightweight MIM Strat. My guess is about 6-1/2 lbs. I’ll weigh it later and report back.

One of my set neck Ibanez guitars weighs over 10lbs and the other just under. They are tone monsters but playing them for nearly 40 years has literally changed how my bones and muscles have developed.

5. kfries

kfries New Member!

You are correct. I believe my last Stratocaster from there came in at 7 pounds, 7 ounces but there was the same model also available and 4 ounces heavier. I also have a thinline Telecaster that comes in at the same weight as my purchase which is how I recall the weight. You could always try nylon strings if weight is that critical. <ducks>

6. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talk Member

I have an Eric Johnson strat that's under 8lbs. It resonates wonderfully.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  7. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've been doing commercial masonry for a little over thirty years no . My favorite guitars are two non weight relieved Les Pauls. Once I plug in I dont feel it.

Walter Trout uses straps like you described . I do fine with nice three inch wide leather straps

8. Torvald

Torvald Strat-Talker

I happen to have a Squire VM also. Has all the things you've mentioned above. Basswood body and it weighs 7 lbs, 8 oz. Two ounces more than my alder bodied Warmoth strat with the CTS pots, vintage big block trem and fatback neck. That paulownia must be exceptionally light.

9. Torvald

Torvald Strat-Talker

Or I have some heavy basswood!

10. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talk Member

I measured it on a digital kitchen scale which is accurate up to 10lbs. Unfortunately I can't weigh the original VM body since it's on another guitar with a fat Warmoth neck.

11. Torvald

Torvald Strat-Talker

Must feel like holding a feather! My 6 pounder feels pretty sweet. I weighed mine on a postal scale also. Love those Fatback necks! I wonder what the paulownia body weighs, but don't take it apart!

12. madhermit

madhermit Strat-Talk Member

My 2019 American Original 60s is 7.8 lbs.

13. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Mark Farner, formerly of Grand Funk Railroad, switched to a Parker Fly due to neck surgery issues and loves it. I don't care for the look, but have never played one. Joe Walsh has also been know to play one.

Why do you play Parker Fly guitars exclusively these days?
    —Lenny Wilson

I had neck surgery in 1996, which stemmed from a car accident I had in 1979, so I need a guitar that is light. I was dealing with the neck pain for years, but then it got worse so I had no option but to have surgery. My doctor told me to stop playing Statocasters and Les Pauls because I shouldn’t put anything around my neck that weighs more than five pounds, which is what the Parker weighs. I own three of those guitars. They are hardtail guitars, which have no whammy bar, so there is no added weight from that apparatus. The Parker Fly has stainless steel frets and carbon fiber over the fretboard, so there’s no fret wear. It’s the sweetest guitar to play, because when you do hand vibrato, like I do, there’s no interference and alternate harmonics from wood grain. I’ve been playing Parker Fly guitars ever since Grand’s Funk’s live album, Bosnia, in 1997.

Alternatively, you might buy a nice used Fender Strat and replace the body with a chambered body (keeping the original body boxed and stored , of course):

https://www.warmoth.com/ordering/chamberedbody30dayguarantee.aspx

Andrew Wasson and SAguitar like this.
  14. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Senior Stratmaster

Haha. My old ‘79 weighed 11 lbs. LPs would see it coming and hide.

RL21980, gofmusic and fenderkev like this.
  15. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

I always found that when I start a solo behind my head while jumping off of a stacked set of 4×12 marshall cabs, and landing in full splits, a 6lb guitar is quite beneficial... ;)

Wound_Up likes this.
  16. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Must be the neck only LOL

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  17. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

My 81 Ibanez Artist laughs at those light weight Les Pauls. It’s mahogany with a carved maple top and mahogany set neck with rosewood slab. To give it that additional weight we all knew was necessary in the 70’s / 80’s, it’s got a brass tone block in the body. It does sound fantastic and it does sustain so mission accomplished Ibanez.

98B2213F-49F5-4754-BF85-E766B85DC14B.jpeg

Wound_Up likes this.
  18. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

Those are actual weights. I weighed my Squier bridge and pieces and someone else weighed their Fender vintage bridge & pieces.

Not that it matters but my heavier Strat has way more resonance than the lighter one. You can hit the strings on the heavier guitar, wait a second or 2, then hit the strings on the lighter guitar. The heavier guitar will still ring out longer than the light guitar. You can feel the vibrations in the heavier guitar at least twice as long as the light one.

I still play the light one more lol. Isn't that what that would be? Resonance? It wouldn't be considered sustain, would it? I thought that related to amplified notes or whatever you'd call it.

19. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

Tree wood? As opposed to bush wood? Lol ;):D

20. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

My ash Tele is a tank and weighs in at 9lb 2.5oz (more than my solid body LP). It has sustain like there’s no tomorrow.. lol.

[​IMG]

Ebidis likes this.