Is buying a Strat that weighs 7 pounds likely?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 13, 2020.

1. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-Talker

I'm a sucker for "light weight" Light and resonant is the way to go. 7 to 7.8 is a great range to look in and is doable but you have to hunt. 8+ pounders are all too common.

After years of hunting my current Fender guitars weigh....
    AO Tele 6.3 pounds
    CS Mary Kaye Strat 7.2 pounds
    MIJ JV Strat 7.1 pounds
    CS 56 Strat 7.6 Pounds

When it shakes your ribcage, unplugged your headed in the right direction.

Light and resonant Gibsons are another story. I have kept both my kidneys and my marriage together. For now.....

2. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Well my guess was wrong. My Eric Johnson Strat weighs in at a whopping 7.2 lbs. as does my black Strat but weirdly the Eric Johnson feels lighter. My other Strat is a Classic Player 60’s and it’s weighs in at 7.9 lbs. it feels like it’s the heaviest. They all seem to sustain and ring out as well as one another.

6824582E-17A1-427C-B564-99BEAC266ABB.jpeg 98AD794D-67F3-4E25-BC2C-D781C3CAAE9F.jpeg 0A0092B9-4215-4C30-8F13-956504DACDC6.jpeg

3. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

what amp is that?

4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Fender Cyber Twin from around 2002 or so. It’s like a modelling amp but it’s analogue and all the dials are on servos. You select 59 Bassman and watch the knobs spin to the appropriate position. Fully programable too. It’s got reverb, tremolo, delay, chorus, compression and it may even have an octavizer. It’s got 12ax7’s on the inputs and digital power section. It weighs a tonne but sounds fantastic.

gofmusic likes this.
  5. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

Yes it's very likely i play sitting down so the weight doesn't even matter to me

6. exactopposite

exactopposite Strat-Talk Member

You find a lighter than normal one on occasion. I have a 2013 American special that is definitely light for a strat. I put an all rosewood neck on it and rosewood is known for being heavy. Somehow it's still noticeably lighter than my Squier strat which has a much smaller trem block. I'm not sure why it's as light as it is but it sounds great.

7. Single Malt

Single Malt Strat-Talker

A couple of years ago I bought a 2018 AmPro from Sweetwater. Alder body, 3TSB. I watched and waited and one morning, one was listed at 7.25 pounds. I jumped on it. They do show up from time to time.

8. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Strat-Talker

We (Fender) made thousands of very light-weight ALDER wood Stratocasters, in the 1970's, mostly starting 1973, while some were heavier (8 to 1-1/2lbs) most, especially those that were "Hardtails" (no trem) weighed anything from a few ounces UNDER 7lbs to 7-1/2 lbs. The lighest ones are easy to spot when "Natural" (clear) and Sunburst finishes by the near total absence of any figuring in the wood.

I made myself 3 over the period of 1973 to 1977 all with Alder, very straight grain, 3 piece bodies, 2 were "Hardtails" as that's what I prefer anyways. The 73 and 76 weighed 6lbs-8oz and 6lbs -11oz. I also have a
    '74 in Swamp Ash all lacquer and it weighs a whopping 10lbs-8oz even without a Trem! Later I made myself a 1983 Fender Stratocast "Elite" model with Lindy Fralin active electronics and noiseless Pups with a 3-piece Alder body. Even with a Trem and all the active electronics it still only weighed 8lbs-2oz. It is the finest Stratocaster I have ever played.

Here's they are:

Fender 73 Strat Alder natural hardtail sml.jpg
    1976 Stratocaster Hardtail front.JPG
    1976 Stratocaster Hardtail back.JPG

1974 Fender Stratocaster hardtail Blackie lrg.jpg

1983 Fender Strat Elite.jpg

9. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

My Silver Sky weighs 7 on the nose. My two prior EJ sigs weighed 7 and 7lbs 2 Oz and my EJ Thinline was 6lbs 8 Oz.

chicago slim and Andrew Wasson like this.
  10. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-Talker

My warmoth strat weighs just over 6 lbs. It's a chambered alder hardtail body.

It is my favorite guitar. Not always number one, but always in the top 3.
    Because, you know, sometimes the semi hollow or whatever sounds and feels so right.....

11. bmar1128

bmar1128 Strat-Talker

I have a 79 Anniversary Strat that weighs in at 12.5 lbs...Looks like it was rarely played :)