Is it likely that current-day Strats will ever skyrocket in value like the Pre-CBS?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by PL8180ST, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

But even Strat Pluses in rare colours and good condition are only going for their original value plus inflation. In real terms they haven't gained at all. And as an 'investment' they'd be a disaster.

2. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

Old vs New

First answer no on the newer massed produced models. Maybe a limted edition custom shop one of a kind. If you can afford it today buy the oldest year Strat you can find and throw it under the bed. Right now is probably the best time in recent years to find a "bargin" for a true vintage guitar. But don't wait too long.

3. TrevorMarshall

TrevorMarshall Strat-O-Master

I think it's kind of laughable for people to think prices won't rise to Pre CBS prices one day. Of course they'll never be worth the same amount at the same period of time. But people, regardless of guitar players, love old stuff. In 100 years, we have absolutely no idea where fender will be, they could be gone or the monopoly of guitars. They're company won't always be the same and in 2113, when your great, great, great grand kids have your 2013 Strat. It's gonna be worth a fair bit.

4. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I agree - when I bought my 67 Rickenbacker back in the 70's (used) I had no idea I'd be sitting on a 50 year old guitar someday.

Now I have several 80's strats and I fully expect them to appreciate for my son and one thing I've DRILLED into him - don't get rid of them!

They'll never be worth as much as a 60's strat, but they'll be worth more than a modern one in 50 years

You will thank me some day for that advice, son, long after I am gone.

Hope he's listened - he's only 7 years old

5. James.Lee

James.Lee Strat-Talk Member

Refer to Belloq's words to Indiana Jones:

(Holding up a pocket watch) "Look at this. It's worthless - ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless."

Just about anything of substantial age will be worth something to somebody. Today's strats are quite possibly better than any made in the past (with regard to consistency of quality [I'm sure I'll catch some flack for saying this]). So keep it long enough and somebody will pay your grandkids a premium for a very well made, awesome-sounding relic.

6. madmat

madmat But I digress

Which is about 4X the value of that car new. In '67 you could buy a Cobra for $8,000. Think on that for a second.

7. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

When a guitar, car, rare coins, guns, and the like are in "Mint Condition"
    they will be worth twice what a beat up version is.... or more.
    I've bought and sold a lot of guitars and always got more than I paid. I wont sell a guitar for less than I paid.
    So dont go relicing your guitars........

8. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Strat-O-Master

I expect that would only be repeated if FMIC ends up being a non-viable business or sold to Chinese ownership etc.

9. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Strat-O-Master

Not in a pre-apocalyptic world. Check back when it's more like "Mad Max".

10. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

hell, it won't be long considering the rate we're going

11. darkogav

darkogav Strat-Talk Member

^ this one is true. when i bought my guitars i never thought much about it, now they are 30 year old guitars in mostly good condition. in a another 20 or 30 years who knows. guitars are built to last provided you keep care of them.

12. darkogav

darkogav Strat-Talk Member

I wonder if the American Vintage Reissues will go up in value? Fender seem to be discontinuing '57 and '62 models and replacing them with '59 and '65 year model makes.

13. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I don't think modern Fenders will ever be worth more than they are now.

The reason the pre CBS guitars are worth more is mainly rarity and not "old tyme" guitar building skills now lost in the mists of time :p and even vintage guitars have noticed a significant downturn in prices of late.

People now who are approaching middle age and find themselves flush with money want to buy stuff that they lusted after as a penniless kid, guitars, cars, memorabilia etc etc from the '60's-'70's. That's the collectors market.

In the future will there be the interest in guitars? A lot of kids make music with computers etc nowadays so when they reach the age of looking back will they be looking at guitars or what they used when they were kids?

Accordions used to outsell guitars and you can't give them away now.

14. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

Yes but when you take into account the new 1967 price with inflation, it is still not appreciated that much. J

Prices in 1967:

$2,898 Standard Convertible
    $2,461 Standard Coupe
    $2,692 Standard Fastback

$2,461.00 in 1967 had the same buying power as $17,174.71 in 2013.

According to the inflation calculator those two cars in relatively good shape go for about half of what a new one would cost today, which is very similar to what a late model used car that is several years old would go for. At 17K you can get a very nice almost show quality coupe. Now fastbacks, big engine ( 427/429 CJ etc) models you can't really touch for that price.

15. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

"These aren't the strats you're looking for"

[​IMG]

16. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Strat-Talker

I dont think so, but could be wrong!

17. albala

I never knew so many guitarists were also economists.

At the pace America is churning dollars into donuts, inflation is headed in to uncharted territory.

what else can you buy, use, and in 30 years get back most or all of your money?

18. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

A Rolex watch.

19. albala

can you really use a watch? other than look at it and maybe wind it, it just sits there as a constant reminder that you're aging.

my guitars make me feel young

20. jc1funk

jc1funk Strat-O-Master

I'd have to ask: "Would these vintage Fenders and Gibsons be worth what they are if they weren't made so famous by the likes of Hendrix, Clapton etc etc?"

At the end of the day it really is about the music they made, not the gear they played.

So I reckon if you want the value of your "modern era" guitar to appreciate, you want to make some amazing music that touches a lot of people.

This should be your focus as a musician anyway right?

Granted, this level of musical exposure and success is unlikely for most people (especially for people overly-concerned in "player gear", rather than "playing music" *cough*) so look at it from the other point of view: which guitarists are really making a massively inspirational name for themselves today and over the last 20 years? Morello, Gossard, Harper, Trucks, Frusciante, Hetfield etc etc etc... What gear do they use that is stock? Buy it. Keep it. You never know, they might become collectable. I'd almost bet on it.