Is it normal to have a little fretbuzz?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Rodrigoow, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Rodrigoow

Rodrigoow Strat-Talk Member

I adjusted the rod turning it 1/4 in relief, the buzz got quieter, but isn't still I'd consider "fixed"

2. Rodrigoow

I feel like it is comming through the amp, but I'm not sure if I'm just hearing it bc I play too hard on the strings and that makes the sound comming directly from the guitar louder...

I'll do some more tests and try to record so everyone can hear.

drp146 and Scott Baxendale like this.
  3. Rodrigoow

Yes, I agree, there is this ideia that turning the rod may cause the neck to explode or something

4. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

Its not normal, especially near the nut. Não é normal, ainda mais nos primeiros trastes. Esse Luthier é fraco.

If it's near the nut, the problem maybe relief/trussrod, or a poorly cut nut. Se o problema é nos primeiros trastes, dever ser tensor ou o nut está mal ajustado. Bring the saddles down and work with the trussrod and nut. Abaixa os carrinhos e ajusta o tensor e o nut. Se não resolver, precisa alinhar os trastes. If it doesn't work, you need to level the frets. E foge desse luthier/run from this luthier.
    [English added as respect for our american/english friends here - I find it a little ridiculous speaking in english to another brazilian]

RobZ69 and Rodrigoow like this.
  5. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

For what it's worth, I have always pretty much set my relief and string height to Fender specs and been happy with the results. I've been doing it so long that I set them up without any measurement tools and if I go in to see where I'm at it's pretty spot on to the factory spec. No discernible fret buzz but probably just the way I play. Someone else might make them rattle a bit.

drp146 likes this.
  6. Rodrigoow

Here it is

I recorded myself playing plugged in a Marshall MG15. I tried to be far enough from the amp so the sound comming directly from my guitar wouldn't be caught by the mic, I think I did a decent job avoiding that.

Anyway, in the beginning I played each string until the 9th fret, then a couple of RHCP songs which I usually play.

See if anyone can note any problem related to buzz.

RobZ69, 3bolt79, elduderinoTF and 2 others like this.
  7. crankit

crankit Strat-Talk Member

Step up. Buy a pre-2000 American made strat. Like a signature Clapton or Beck and you won't even know what fret buzz is. By the way, what is fret buzz?

8. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

+1 my mij strat had some buzz when I got it. With a normal set up it went away.
    To me normal is set relief, intonation and action.

3bolt79 and drp146 like this.
  9. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

I'm not really hearing any noticeable buzz in your test.

3bolt79, Rodrigoow and Simpleman like this.
  10. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

I hear it on the lower scales you're playing. I don't hear it higher up or on the chords (but you might playing live). I think that tells us you have a relief, neck angle, or fret level issue and most likely a combination of at least two.

Try this: Play those low fret number scales. Figure out where the strings are hitting the other frets. Give us some more information on that - where you are playing when it's the worst and where it is hitting. Then play up the neck and fins any additional buzz. Report back.

If you can't figure it out, try playing notes up a single string, one fret at a time, figuring out at which position it buzzes and which ones it buzzes on. IN other words "I play the G string at the 3rd fret and it buzzes off the 15th fret". You can also try sliding a single sheet of paper under the string(s) from the bridge end down as you hold down the frets from 22/21 down to the 1st on each strings. See if you can find some high frets.

We need more data.

Rodrigoow likes this.
  11. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

It sounds like you're picking the strings on the hard side in that recording. If I'm right, that may be contributing to a small problem, making it bigger.

Rodrigoow and CB91710 like this.
  12. Simpleman

Simpleman Strat-O-Master

From that test. It does not sound like you have a problem to me. Mine has some buzz, but I don’t here it from the amp. The older the strings get the better it sounds and plays.

RobZ69 and Rodrigoow like this.
  13. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

Sounds great to me. As @Triple Jim says, you're playing with quite a lot of attack, but even so the buzz is barely discernable.

RobZ69, Rodrigoow and Triple Jim like this.
  14. robertgmartin

robertgmartin Strat-Talk Member

No disrespect meant for anyone but I setup my own guitars and my necks are flat straight and I do not have fret buzz. I also like the action as low as possible. Normally much lower than Fender factory specifications. That being said, every guitar varies, so it may not apply to every single guitar. It really depends if you can hear it when playing and how much you are bothered by it.

15. Rodrigoow

I am very convinced that what I have is a neck angle issue. The neck is too low and It nedeed to be in a higher angle, the relief is fine, the frets are even as I can tell, the problem is in the angle compared to my other strat.

What I wanted with this thread was get an opinion about how much fret buzz is acceptable or not. Thanks for the disposition.

16. Rodrigoow

What do you mean by hard side?

17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Picking a little harder, or more aggressively, than average. Sorry for the use of the idiom. :)

Rodrigoow likes this.
  18. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I heard a little plinky sound on your G string. You might want to raise the action on the G. Also, if your frets were leveled try a shim in the neck pocket. I just did that with my granddaughters mini. I just used a piece of a business card and set it right before the lower end of the pocket, just where it almost touches the lower screws in the pocket. Changed everything completely. Now it plays pretty slick.

Rodrigoow likes this.
  19. crankit

crankit Strat-Talk Member

Your 15min is used up. See ya next time.

20. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

It sounds to me like you hit the strings pretty hard. I heard a couple wonky frets. I would suggest you raise your action a little. Do you know what it's set to?

A setup is not a one-size fits all. It's all about technique. A low action and little relief is fine if you have a light touch. But if you dig in and hit hard you need higher action.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to hit hard. Yiu might just need to go a bit higher.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Rodrigoow likes this.