Is it normal to have a little fretbuzz?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Rodrigoow, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

Think if you applied that logic to people here. If they told you one wrong thing, every thing else after that is probably wrong...

Just because they're wrong about one thing doesn't mean they're automatically wrong about everything and that's pretty dickish to assume that about anyone, over anything. Or possibly just ignorant?

I don't mean to be so brash but that's one he** of an assumption to make about someone you've never met, interacted with, nor spoken to over 1 thing they said that you heard 2nd hand.

Rodrigoow likes this.
  2. RELEARNING

RELEARNING New Member!

Your "Luthier" is DEAD wrong and needs to refresh his training.
    Fret buzz is a sign of a problem - maybe minor - maybe more serious.. I'd recommend trying another luthier and get some "good" advice.

Rodrigoow likes this.
  3. Rodrigoow

Rodrigoow Strat-Talk Member

Oh yeah. That's the way a usually play, that's why whatever adjustment I make I have to consider this

4. Rodrigoow

I think that's the solution I need. I'm just afraid I mess up with the screws holes when puting it back. Do you think there is any risk I damage the wood?

5. Shoegoo

Shoegoo Strat-O-Master Silver Member

The way I see fret buzz is that if I hear it is irritating to me. If it can be heard projecting from the amp then it needs to be fixed.

RobZ69 and Rodrigoow like this.
  6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘Just turn the screws out by hand. When you go to put the neck back on. Put a littlle bid of bar soap on the screws, and turn the screws by hand. Never use a drill, you can snap a neck bolt really easily.

Rodrigoow and Bob the builder like this.
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

You might consider playing more gently. Do you have a lot of experience on an acoustic guitar?

Rodrigoow likes this.
  8. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah and once you start down the learning it starts becoming easier and easier just like anything else.

9. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

If you shim the heel of the neck, it will lower your action and you will have to raise your saddles to maintain clearance.
    If your saddles are not currently too low, I would not recommend adjusting the neck angle.

RobZ69 and Rodrigoow like this.
  10. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Gonna sit here and watch how this unravels. Don't feel like it's worthwhile to contribute or repeat anything that has already been said, except...

If you don't want to do something about it your self and deal with the learning curve, then take it to a widely respected and competent luthier/tech.

That means not your local GC or some guy on farcebook. It means find a registered business where professional musicians send their gear to, and be prepared to wait your turn to have it properly sorted.

Rodrigoow and CB91710 like this.
  11. Stratomike

Stratomike Strat-Talker

10's should be possible to set up with little to no fret buzz. But what I hear in your recording sounds fine to me (esp. the songs). I have similar mini buzz in all my electrics. Whenever someone swears his/hear guitar has no buzz, it buzzes for me. I stopped caring and spend more time playing.

Slots: nut slots are too deep. This typically means the open strings buzz. Explained here:
    http://customguitarbuild.com/nut-slot-filed-too-deep-how-to-fix-it/

Sometimes 2-3 extra winds on the tuner post help a bit.

Great playing, love Frusciante!

stratocarlster, Rodrigoow and CB91710 like this.
  12. Rodrigoow

That's the way I like to play, so changing is not an option

stratocarlster likes this.
  13. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

I’ve met luthiers who claim strats have inherent fret buzz. That’s how you know it’s time to find a new luthier :D

CB91710 likes this.
  14. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

Ha yeah I bet I could make those buzz-free wonders buzz like crazy. When you think about it ... say I'm fretting the low E on the 4th fret, what's the clearance between the string and the 5th fret? Roughly, a bee's donger. Fret buzz is simply the sound of the E string being hit hard enough to oscillate strongly enough to jump that tiny gap and make contact with the fret above. If anyone's telling me they can't hit an E string string hard enough to make that happen, well they need a course of vitamins stat.

Stratomike likes this.
  15. Aleksej79ns

Aleksej79ns New Member!

If the action is very low I think there must be some fret buzz... Listen to e.g. Yngwie Malmsteen when plays a guitar without amplifier, You will hear the strings buzzing... But when You turn on amp and dist You will not hear it..

Stratomike likes this.
  16. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talk Member

I find your "luthiers" assessment of your problem to be untrue and a cop out due to his lack of understanding or possibly his skills. I have run into many a person that calls themselves a "luthier" that has never worked on any instrument but a bolt neck electric guitar. They are "guitar technicians" not luthiers.
    There is a reason and there is a way to fix.
    Since I am not able to see and touch I won't offer a solution but would advise you to study the depth and Correctness of the nut slots and The height of the bridge and the level of the fretboard. Somewhere in there is the solution.
    Remember, there.is a reason SRV had his set up so high. He absolutely hated fret buzz of any kind and I have heard many say the same thing as your guy but I just do not believe it to be true.
    Every guitar is different and I own many. Most are set up low but there are exeptions.
    The best solution in MHO is get the tools you need, learn to use them and in time you will figure out your problems on your own and when you do it will be gratifying to say goodbye to the people that won't change your strings with out a hundred and twenty buck set up fee. You will become your own Stratocaster master. I know of no one that can do better work than myself. I did not become a "master of the Stratocaster" overnight. ( I say this only in the repair and set up of my guitars) I am not a master player. Just a master of not paying a luthier for anything but making me a great guitar. Electric sure but acoustic definitely. If you can't do this. You are no more a "luthier" than the guy that takes your blood pressure is a Doctor. IMHO.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    Stratomike likes this.
  17. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Hop on Frudua's channel and watch all the Strat setup videos he has, this one will get you started.

Strats can benefit a lot from fret leveling, but you need to consider string load on neck curvature. See how the strings go from the tuner up over the nut and then down -- that creates the effect of bending the headstock forward centered around the nut and puts a resisting "S" curve in the neck. I use a fret leveling jig and saw how much the neck bends around this way and it doesn't take a lot to go from good to buzzy. I have a Strat-like-object that was unplayable when I got it used for $35 but after a 'loaded' fret level is plays as easy as any Custom Shop guitar.

Plek machines load the neck while doing their work too.

18. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 New Member!

I can only speak from my own personal experience on this subject....

I use 10-46 gauge strings and play blues based rock with a moderately aggressive attack using a 1.52mm pick. I typically set up my guitars with what I consider a medium-low action... a slight amount of neck relief to allow strings to oscillate properly, and a string height of approximately 3.5/64's - 4/64's treble and 4.5/64's - 5/64's bass measured at the 12th fret. So not high and certainly not shredder low.

I've owned many guitars that I've sent to some very well known and respected shops for fret work - Glaser's in Nashville, Tuttle Guitars in Washington, Philtone in Maryland, John Suhr in California, Pete Skermetta in Austin, Music gallery in Chicago, Aperio in Georgia... Work done by those shops listed ranged from level & crowning, Plek jobs, to complete refrets with PLEK...

Even after having work done as I detailed, I can honestly say that ALL of my guitars when setup with my preferred action and played by ME, have some minimal degree of fret buzz.

None of my guitars play completely buzz free - or at least what I'd consider buzz free. The buzz I do experience is minimal IMO, and by a good margin secondary compared to a pure note, but none of my guitars play completely buzz free by definition when I play them. Only way I've ever been able to have a guitar play completely and totally "buzz free" is when set with very high action.

Interesting read here on this topic:

https://drkevguitar.com/2012/05/10/your-own-personal-fret-buzz/

stratocarlster likes this.
  19. Stratomike

Stratomike Strat-Talker

Yeah, exactly. I wanted the "Hendrix gaugue" 10-38 so badly, because I love the balance (less dominant bass strings). But I couldn't set up the guitar without fret buzz (low E and E), so I brought it to my luthier (guitar builder, gifted hands). He could achieve a little less buzz, but still too much for me. I complained, he just said ... hit the low E string ... then he said: watch the string! So exactly like you describe, the thin string was oscillating like a mofo, so I accepted it and forgot my plan. 42 is doable, 44 is pretty safe for me with medium action. Still a little buzz now and then. I don't want to hit with less attack, just go to hell fret buzz :)

Don't forget that he not only had very high action, but also fat strings. Ok tuned down, but still. If one can get used to high action and fat strings, then yeah... this will eliminate most, if not all, buzz.