Is it worth to give 1000$+ for an Indonisian or MIM guitar ? Remember the past !!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by narcsoul, Jan 14, 2022 at 12:30 AM.

1. narcsoul

narcsoul New Member!

So... i am thinking a lot of this question....

Once upon a time ( not so many years back ) you could have an MIJ jackson for 700$ ( brand new ) or an Ibanez mij prestige for 1000$ + hard case!!! .....

....and now what??? Asking for indonesian and mexican guitars 1000$+ ?? sometimes even used!! without even a hard case...

I REMEMBER......i had a Jackson USA sl1 for 1400$ ( used ) ... now they sell them... for 2.500-3000$ ...and an ESP M-II which i bought for 1800$ and i sold for 1000$ and now they ask 1600$ for the used one (near brand new price once upon a time again )

What happened guys....and HOW DO YOU FEEL.... When you pay so much money for a NON Japan or USA instrument compared to what you remember from the past ?

I would like your opinion...

Thank you

Stratokiester and stormsedge like this.
  2. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

The past is…..well…past.

So if I really like something now then I look at today.

Mr_10awg, Stratoskater, fos1 and 8 others like this.
  3. Beakybird

Beakybird Strat-Talk Member

I think the overseas stuff has gotten much better, so if I'm going to get something amazing, I don't mind shelling out the $$.
    But the new prices are a little eye popping.

ibdrkn1 likes this.
  4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Inflation.

Besides guitars manufactured in Indonesia, Mexico and China ar head and shoulders, quality-wise, against those of the recent past.

While the price hikes will discourage any new purchases by me personally, I'll still buy them on the used market for a reasonable price. And I'll buy a well built guitar, no matter where it was built.

5. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

The quality of Mexican and Asian built guitars has improved dramatically in the last 20 years and many of them are on par with USA guitars in terms of performance and build quality.I own many nice fancy USA Fender reissues but my Mexican Vinteras really hold their own against them and I gig them so I am speaking from actual stage experience.My Indonesian Squier Classic Vibe Strats and Teles have really impressed me as well...fantastic build quality and playabilty with great sounding electronics and pickups.At around $450 those Indonesian Squiers are the best bang for the buck guitars on the market.

Torvald, stormsedge and ibdrkn1 like this.
  6. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Strat-Talker

Taking conversion into account, I DID pay $1000+ for a MIM Player Strat.

So... no sympathy here.

7. wjsb316

wjsb316 Strat-Talker

In 2010 American fender prices were under $ 1000 new. Wait for demand and prices to go down. The market correction is coming, it always does.

Bighump and Boyd L like this.
  8. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

In 2010 I paid $1399CAD for a brand new avri 62 strat. Look at the reissues now. You’ll be waiting a long time for the market to correct itself. I’ve never seen prices go down unless it’s used.

ibdrkn1, nickmsmith and Neil.C like this.
  9. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

A Strat in 1962 was $289.50, what's your point? :p

They are all made over seas to me, unless I want something that's really high end. Then it costs twice as much as a MIA Fender.

sgarnett, Intune, ibdrkn1 and 4 others like this.
  10. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

Everything's more money these days. Hopefully you're making more money as well.

cranky likes this.
  11. wjsb316

wjsb316 Strat-Talker

During the great recession that definitely did. Well the number went down atleast.

12. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

No, not worth it to me. The world has inflated in the past 10 years, but my buying power hasn’t. As always, the Best deals are used.

I may just be sour because I bought a Vintera Jag in 2020 and I’m mad that I like my Squier version better. Buyer’s remorse.

if I were starting fresh as a player today, with what I know today,I’d be skipping the new Fender purchases altogether, and buying a body and a neck of my choice (fender or otherwise) and putting together a MIA level guitar in feel and sound, for cheaper than a new MIM. Easy to do when MIMs are now nearing or over 1000 dollars.

that, or buying a cheaper brand/high level Squier.

my favorite Strat is a vintera/classic series neck on a Classic vibe body. All together, I may have 450 in it, including the extra Squier neck which is honestly pretty good too.

For a straight up beginner, I’d recommend other affordable brands, and spending a bit for a setup, unless that person just has money to spare.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 3:40 AM
  13. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

I could except price rises due to demand but where are all these guitar gods that influence us so we want to take up playing a guitar?

nickmsmith likes this.
  14. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

If I see something I want I just buy it.

I don't worry about how much it was last year or twenty years ago.

The enjoyment of ownership trumps any perceived overpayment.

Sometimes people overthink this stuff.

15. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I think guitar is still one of the most accessible ways for people to become a musician. It used to be guitar gods driving sales (primarily)
    IMO now, it’s just people having that innate desire to make music, and there’s no simpler way,

Keyboard/piano just isn’t as “cool,” even though it has a million more applications in modern music.

HazyPurple likes this.
  16. revtime

revtime Strat-O-Master

Too many great guitars under 500 for me to worry about it. Just like cars you come down to my price or I walk. Someone may give you the money you are asking for....but it wont be me.

Boyd L, JamesE and nickmsmith like this.
  17. Fakeguitarbuyer21

Fakeguitarbuyer21 Strat-Talk Member

Can't justify it. To me once I get past the $1000 mark I'd rather just shell out for what I want (the flagship/standard US made)

Nothing to do with guitar quality, just how I feel about the guitar personally.

18. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Guitars are cheaper now than they were 50 years ago when all I could afford was to drool on the shop windows...

Neil.C, Bowmap, JamesE and 3 others like this.
  19. catsandstrats

catsandstrats Strat-Talk Member

I ran some inflation numbers the other day. In 2004, I bought a MIM Classic 60s Strat for right around $700 (Can't remember what the list was but that was the price out the door). Call me naive but I remember feeling like that was a fair price. According to the Inflation Calculator, that would be $1,033.15 in today's money. Lo and behold, the Vintera 60s Strat is listed on Sweetwater for $1199. Although that's still technically $161 over the inflation adjusted amount, I think the point is clear: some of the MIM models are now $1000+ guitars. Feels super weird, but I think it's just the reality of prices.

It's gonna sting for those of us that have been buying gear long enough to remember when a Deluxe Reverb RI was in the $700-900 range, a MIM Standard was like $300-400, and only the American built models were $1000+ but I don't think there's any way around it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 9:13 AM
  20. feldkeen

feldkeen Strat-Talker

Back in 2017 I wanted a duo sonic HS badly. I just couldn’t pull the trigger on the $500 price tag. Fast forward I wish I would have. I finally ended up buying a 2017 this year and shelled out $400.