Is it worth to give 1000$+ for an Indonisian or MIM guitar ? Remember the past !!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by narcsoul, Jan 14, 2022 at 12:30 AM.

1. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

Inflation.. That how it works.

9 years ago I bought my house for $232k, now it would sell for 3x that.

If you're not even that old, you remember when a new American Standard was $750 CAD and the MIM around $400.

Or you remember the first new Classic Vibes were $279 CAD. Gas was less, Hydro was less, groceries were less. Should we keep going?

Also, the quality of non US and Japanese guitars is much better than it was. It's the US and Japanese guitars where the cost to quality ratio is off by comparison.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 9:41 AM
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

In 1995 a new MIM was £299, an MIJ £350 and in 1997 the American Standard was £700. Well that's what I paid for them locally at any rate.

Oh and sunburst was £25 extra...

FrieAsABird likes this.
  3. jtees4

jtees4 Strat-O-Master

I buy used and cheap. That will not change. Because I am old and cheap. Plus, I've done very well doing it my way over the years, and when I do decide to sell I make money, easy to get addicted to that. Sure when I was young, I didn't give a crap...but I also didn't have much money. Oh well, stay out of my pocket and get off my lawn....and we can be friends. ;)

JamesE and nickmsmith like this.
  4. ibdrkn1

I've basically had no interest in buying a new new guitar in the last 15 or so years. As a person who enjoys tinkering with them it simply made no sense to buy a new guitar, then modify it. The only reason I still went to stores is to see what I should be watching for on the used market.

Like you, I recognize that a good guitar is a good guitar regardless of where it came from. To me it's a silly concept that people in one part of the world couldn't possibly have the same skills and pride in their work as people in other places.

Everything is designed and made to meet certain goals and those goals are not often to do the best job possible for the lowest cost. I've seen other items made in other parts of the world that might suggest building a guitar would be well below their skill level and just not something they'd waste their time on.

Baelzebub and nickmsmith like this.
  5. ibdrkn1

Perhaps the Canadian dollar was stronger way back. I certainly remember MIMs for $400-450 and MIA Standards for under $800 plus taxes of course. MIJs were 6-ish? My first guitar was a used 87 MIJ ST-357 bought in 90 or 91 at a store for $400 all in. Privately it would've likely been $250-300.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Those were all new off the wall at my local shop. The Canadian dollar was like monopoly money to us. :D

ibdrkn1 likes this.
  7. ibdrkn1

Same.

When the MIMs went up to $600 everyone lost their minds for a while.

Isn't Canadian money still basically Monopoly money?

Bob the builder likes this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

My Tokai Springy cost just under £200 in 1980. Fenders were considerably more expensive at the time.

9. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

Inflation, times change :D:

Bob the builder and elduderinoTF like this.
  10. ibdrkn1

Being I lived in a less populated area I'd never even heard of Tokai before their run of Korean guitars with the Gibson correct headstock.

They were damned good guitars. I had one of the 335s. Played and sounded killer.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

They were in just about every shop here from the late 1970s through to the mid 1980s, along with Burny, Fernandez, Daion, Joodee and many others.

Cerb likes this.
  12. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

I have an old Danelectro Strat style, made in Indonesia. I think it’s a very good guitar.

13. ibdrkn1

You just named all the brands I discovered after joining the internet world.

In our shops (again, not a large town) it mostly MIM Fender and Squiers with one or two MIA Standards at any given time. Sometimes you'd see a used Gibson come in. If you wanted to see a new Gibson or more MIA Fenders you had to drive an hour and a bit to Toronto.

14. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Things change. Get over it.

15. Thrup'ny Bit

The shop that I hung out in for over 40 years closed down a while back. It hadn't stocked Fenders or Gibsons for many years, due to the requirements to be a dealer these days and relied on used sales and guitar and amp repairs. The larger chains went bust before them, now we just have one shop in the area, most of their trade is internet based, but they stock just about everything, or can get it.

ibdrkn1 likes this.
  16. ibdrkn1

Here Long and McQuade has bought out or shut down all the cool stores. Now no stores have used guitar selections and that all I ever really cared about. Stores in Toronto like Songbird and Capsule always had the best stuff and bins of used parts to go through.

I have little to no use for Long and McQuade style stores.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Willmunny, sgarnett and Cerb like this.
  18. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

I own both an MIM and MIK that cost more than $1,000 each. The build quality is excellent. If the back of the head stock didn't say MIM or MIK, I would have thought it was MIA. Japanese guitars used to be sh&t, but now the quality is off the charts. I think MIM and MIK is going in the same direction. Not sure about Indonesian.

19. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

I’m old but my first Strat was $350 tax included. If your butt hurt about todays prices just wait cause it well increase again. You could get a cheaper hobby?

Neil.C and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  20. ibdrkn1

Drooling over that second hand selection.

There are a few stores in my area that do carry exclusively used gear but they are now considered specialty stores. Selection is low, prices are crazy high.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.