Is it worth to give 1000$+ for an Indonisian or MIM guitar ? Remember the past !!

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
So... i am thinking a lot of this question....

Once upon a time ( not so many years back ) you could have an MIJ jackson for 700$ ( brand new ) or an Ibanez mij prestige for 1000$ + hard case!!! .....

....and now what??? Asking for indonesian and mexican guitars 1000$+ ?? sometimes even used!! without even a hard case...

I REMEMBER......i had a Jackson USA sl1 for 1400$ ( used ) ... now they sell them... for 2.500-3000$ ...and an ESP M-II which i bought for 1800$ and i sold for 1000$ and now they ask 1600$ for the used one (near brand new price once upon a time again )

What happened guys....and HOW DO YOU FEEL.... When you pay so much money for a NON Japan or USA instrument compared to what you remember from the past ?

I would like your opinion...

Thank you

Attachments

• upload_2022-1-14_12-18-11.jpeg
    upload_2022-1-14_12-18-11.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 4

HazyPurple

You've gotta get up!, to get down!
Silver Member
May 5, 2020
UK
I think guitar is still one of the most accessible ways for people to become a musician. It used to be guitar gods driving sales (primarily)
IMO now, it’s just people having that innate desire to make music, and there’s no simpler way,

Keyboard/piano just isn’t as “cool,” even though it has a million more applications in modern music.

Yeah man, the guitar is one of the eziest instruments to string three notes together. To master this great instrument is a real challenge...

Mind Flayer

Strat-O-Master
Feb 29, 2012
Chicagoland
Yeah, inflation basically, plus lately everything seems to cost more because of shipping issues, workforce shortages, etc. Thankfully I have all the guitars I need, and if I buy anything else it will usually be done with music store gift cards, which is all I ask for for my bday and xmas!

Buying used is where it’s at.

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
Stuff costs more. Of course it’s relative too. Many higher dollar guitars haven’t gone up as much. Martin has remained fairly steady as have Gibson. I bought a 335 in November and it was priced at $3,300, and 4 years ago when I bought the same one and it was $3,200. I got it for lower than that but those are prices on the tag.

little_wing142

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 24, 2010
Piscataway, NJ
Indonesian and Chinese strats have a very good and consistent build quality. Having said that, they still feel kind of cheap to me. The squier finish feels very thick and plastic to me. I wish they would do more satin finishes on the bodies, or in the classic vibes a satin neck. Also all the fret work from that area are done in a very fast and cheap way with the fret tangs nipped. Also I’m not a huge fan of the fret wire material that seems to be soft and not transmit vibrations very well. I’ve done my share of squier refrets and the frets bend like paper clips when you pop them out.

LOSTVENTURE

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 15, 2007
CHARLOTTE, NC
Personally, my only experience with Indonesian guitars is my Epi Sheaton (2017) and it is well worth the $900 I paid for it. I would have gone another hundred or two to get that quality.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
I have pre-Rosewood ban Indonesians IC05 & ICS16 serial numbers. As the inflation goes, so does the increase in value of my pre-owned gear relative to it's physical condition. Just the way the world works, not my rules, but I have to live by them like everyone else.

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I only have 3 MIA guitars. The rest are MIJ (3 of them). China ( 3 of them) and Indonesia (the rest of them).

It seems to me that with all of them, you hit a price point eventually where the returns start to diminish. It seems to me that after 1000 dollars, you just aren’t getting much more bang to the buck.

The best bang guitar I own is my Ibanez RG550. These go for around 1K, have great fit and finish, and high quality components. I wound up paying 800 bucks for it brand new.

Namelyguitar

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 3, 2009
Mobile Bay, Alabama
Buy the new (or used) Fender American Deluxe or the model that replaced it: Fender American Elite.

Forget the rest, and if someone wants to play guitar at your place- tell them to bring their own when they visit and plug in.

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida
So... i am thinking a lot of this question....

Once upon a time ( not so many years back ) you could have an MIJ jackson for 700$ ( brand new ) or an Ibanez mij prestige for 1000$ + hard case!!! .....

....and now what??? Asking for indonesian and mexican guitars 1000$+ ?? sometimes even used!! without even a hard case...

I REMEMBER......i had a Jackson USA sl1 for 1400$ ( used ) ... now they sell them... for 2.500-3000$ ...and an ESP M-II which i bought for 1800$ and i sold for 1000$ and now they ask 1600$ for the used one (near brand new price once upon a time again )

What happened guys....and HOW DO YOU FEEL.... When you pay so much money for a NON Japan or USA instrument compared to what you remember from the past ?

I would like your opinion...

Thank you

I have my standards....and my limits. Luckily, I don't NEED another guitar, and likely won't for the rest of my life.

Oldiemurphy

Strat-O-Master
Jan 23, 2022
Austin, TX
“You can’t go home again,” as Thomas Wolfe once wrote, meaning that you can return to a building or a place but not a place in time. And certainly not for the same price! Back in the early 1970s I could go into a pawnshop and pick up a beautiful used Strat on the cheap. Those days are long gone but we still have the power of being choosy consumers. I recently paid $700 for a 2002 MIM 60s Series in flawless stock condition. There were plenty of other options, including a MIM that I nearly bought for $500. But I ultimately made a choice based on what I wanted and what I was willing to pay, and that’s all we can do, regardless of the country of origin.

Lucius Paisley

Strat-O-Master
Jul 14, 2021
Sydney, Australia
€660, 680 for a lefty a player strat in Europe. That's about $750. It is a player plus it are they just that bad over there?

We've got f'heads in charge of the economy is all.

Some stores seem very worried by this, the guitar I paid $1069 for is at the moment selling for $1399 at one store.

Even the store I bought it from is now selling it at $1229. I have no idea why.

Either way, you can't get the colour I did at the moment here. Maybe it's an import adjustment thing.

I've never worked retail, I have no idea how any of this works.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
I'd hold out for MSRP to get to $ 1K. At what they MSRP for the Players Series, the $ 850 Player is as much as I'd pay for a MIM. The Player Plus, that's already $ $ 1K plus. Are the locking tuners,, noiseless pickups or whatever else as upgrades, are those worth the additional money ? If I could justify it, factoring in the labor for DIY upgrades with a Player $ 850. if you want it out of the box already done for upgrades that you were going to do as hassle free, there's a justification for paying that much.

Since $ 1K is probably an instrument beyond my current player skills, I don't own an electric that MSRP's beyond $ 250. It all comes down to what you can really justify. For me, a $ 850-1,250 Player or Player Plus isn't going to improve my play appreciably beyond the $ 200-250 MSRP Affinity ICS16 that I currently have. I don't think owning the $ 850+ guitar would make me feel any better as a human being either. When it comes to transactions, if Fender/Squier doesn't fall in love with any guitar enough to keep for themselves, I shouldn't be that emotional about it either. I may or may not become attached after bonding with the instrument, In that case it's better to still have my money. Yet another way to look at it, if the guitar sticks around for decades, it may appreciate in value and any difference paid today would be a few bucks amortized over the life of the instrument. It's really like a car or just about anything else. $ 200 over 10 years or 120 months is $ 1.67/month more over a decade for cost of ownership, everything else being equal.

omahaaudio

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 21, 2014
France
In 2004, I bought a MIM Classic 60s Strat for right around $700 (Can't remember what the list was but that was the price out the door). Call me naive but I remember feeling like that was a fair price. According to the Inflation Calculator, that would be $1,033.15 in today's money.

Are you making 47 percent more money than you were in 2004?

omahaaudio

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 21, 2014
France
I bought a brand new Yamaha SG3000 in LA in 1985 for $400 ($975 adjusted), then sold it a few months later in London for £1200 ($5630 adjusted).

Then I bought two 100 watt Marshall heads in London for £150 each ($1030 adjusted) and sold them in NYC for $650 each ($3160 adjusted).

More than paid for the family trip to England.

Good times. Pre-Internet.