Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is Josefina Campos the new Abigail Yberra?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 335eye, Jul 15, 2013.

1. 335eye

335eye Senior Stratmaster

Aug 23, 2012
    Scottsdale
  2. TexasFury

TexasFury Strat-Talker

Mar 25, 2009
    The Republic of Texas
    Let me ask you this. If someone played a Strat at you, could you definitively identify whether it had an AY pickup or not?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    FormerTeleGuy likes this.
  3. 335eye

Aug 23, 2012
    Scottsdale
    Nope, but I was only curious if anyone ever heard of Josefina.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    If that gets anyone to plunk down six-&-a-half G for that guitar, who cares?

6. BigRaw

BigRaw Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2006
    Rosharon, Texas
    I think it's pretty much marketing. Abigail is associated with the nicest pick ups, and this Josey has been apprenticing under her and "is ready to take on the torch" or some other hypebole. I thought that pick up winding was done on a machine; what's the art form I'm missing here?

Neil.C and liltimmy like this.
  7. AmericanSun

AmericanSun Strat-O-Master

Oct 13, 2010
    TX
    This is all about "mojo". The mojo queen is retiring so they'll need another one. Put her name on the build sheets of enough Masterbuilts, and she'll build up that esteem. Whether or not the mojo works is all in the mind of the player, and it's up to them if its worth it.

Rialas likes this.
  8. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2013
    USA
    Yes, she apprenticed under Abby, and has now taken her place, is she as good? Time will tell.

9. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    Nothing, it is as you say hyperbole.

They are wound on a machine and no doubt have a mechanism for, length of wire, guage etc.

In the old days when they would just them until they looked pretty full ;) you would get quite a lot of difference but nowadays....

10. VentilatorBlues

VentilatorBlues Senior Stratmaster

X2. Just another example of Fender wisely taking advantage of the fact that many of us have so much time on our hands to spend on forums discussing the inherent resonant acoustic properties of different wood sealers, or the "magical mojo" imbued into a pickup because a certain person oversaw the person who shut the pickup winder off after a certain number of turns.

FormerTeleGuy and Kosh like this.
  11. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

Jul 3, 2012
    NoVa
    My MB 50th Anniversary has Abby-wound CS54's that I've seen on Ebay for as much as $900. I swear to you, I can't tell the difference between them and the CS54's that were in the American Series 50th Anniversary I used to have, other than the Abby's being a little brighter (likely because it has AlnicoIII's instead of AlnicoV's).

Nick

12. 57fenderstrat60

57fenderstrat60 Strat-Talker

Aug 5, 2012
    OK
    Never seen any go for more than 200-300

13. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

Jul 3, 2012
    NoVa
    Must have been the asking price, then. $300 for the whole set of 50th anniversary Abby-wound CS54's? That's not much more than a set of brand-new over-the-counter CS54's.

Nick

14. BigRaw

BigRaw Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2006
    Rosharon, Texas
    When you say "Abby-wound" do you mean it was her who loaded the parts, threaded the wire, and turned the winder on? Unless she shows up to work and winds the pick ups by hand and they come out perfectly every single time and put forth the greatest tone anyone has ever heard...I'm really missing something here, and it's hard for me to buy in to it.

15. 335eye

Aug 23, 2012
    Scottsdale
    Sound-wise is one thing, but pretty cool to have pickups wound by same person that did it for Clapton and Hendrix. A piece of Americana. If I had an Abby Pickup set I'd keep forever.

16. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

Jul 3, 2012
    NoVa
    That's the only thing I can think that she does is put the wire, bobbin and etcetera on the machine, hit the pedal and go. I don't create the market, I've just seen what people have either paid or asked for stuff that she has wound herself.

Personally, other than the difference in magnets, I can't tell the difference plugged in between the pickups in my CS54 Masterbuilt and the over-the-counter CS54's in the 50th Anniversary American Series I had. The guitars themselves unplugged aren't even close, but amplified... I know it's hard to quantify, but I don't think what makes the MB better is in the pickups.

Nick

17. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

The koolaid is a dangerous thing. Don't believe the hype believe your ears

mshivy likes this.
  18. StratDen

StratDen Senior Stratmaster

May 23, 2008
    NY
    Abigail was there in what is now the 50's vintage and aft days of Fender... Nothing more, nothing less in my view. I put more weight in the component and material selection of what goes into the guitar.

19. mr.slave

mr.slave Strat-O-Master

Jul 13, 2010
    uk
    Complete load of tosh.

20. VentilatorBlues

VentilatorBlues Senior Stratmaster

Funny, isn't it, that "back in the day" those were just standard, bone-stock Fender pickups that everyone who bought a Stratocaster new or second-hand got, but now people are ordering new AVRIs and American Standards and asking what hyped-up aftermarket boutique pickups they should install before they've even played the guitar, and now it's come full circle in a way.

21. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT????? Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 4, 2010
    Bacliff by Galveston bay
    There is also a grey area of sorts about her pickups.

Supposedly, those with her initials were wound by those working under her direction. The ones she actually wound have her name spelled out. I don't know if it's her first, last or both names signed.

That's what I read somewhere.

frpax likes this.