Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Is Josefina Campos the new Abigail Yberra?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 335eye, Jul 15, 2013.

1. 335eye

335eye Senior Stratmaster

Aug 23, 2012
    Scottsdale
    There's an allure for sure, else guys like Jeff Beck wouldn't be gassing for them so much. I say, don't question the pros. My reaction is such that if I can get a 50's something strat that sings without getting totally ripped off, I'm in. They're worth what people are willing to pay, but better in the house with me than a few extra numbers on a bank statement. If another's reaction is 'meh', then save the money. Everybody wins.

2. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    I'll be the D.A. in this thread.

For me, the Abby I have in the neck position of my '92 MIM surfy sounds better then anything else pickling up my bangin' and twangin' here at the shack. It may be all in my head, but that's where we process our experience of sound. If I think it's good equipment, and sounds better, I work a little harder to get the sound, and make no excuses for what I do, and I am better, and sound better.

Maybe this Josie Campos, who ever she may be, really did glean some AY mojo. Hope so. However it is hard for me to imagine her sitting in front of that winder until the year 2060. People just don't stay in jobs like they use to.

Sending her good vibes, with which to create good vibes, to pass on to the rest of you.

Stratkins 51 and Nate D like this.

3. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    I'll join ya as DA,

IMO, it's the player, not the pickups, that makes the difference.

4. Zion-Warmoth

Zion-Warmoth New Member!

Dec 1, 2009
    CT

5. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2014
    In the shadows
    Admin Post
    SD has the same thing going with Maricela Juarez. She handwound lots of their pickups in the 70s and 80s and still answers the phone most of the time when you call the SD Custom Shop. Her name is often used when selling pickups.

bonedust likes this.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Hype. AB pickups are all about hype, and some perceived mojo that I doubt is really there. The lady sitting next to her probably wound a set that sounds the same.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Neil.C, Fendereedo and mshivy like this.

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Right, AY is she was in the building that day, Abby are ones SHE wound.

8. liltimmy

liltimmy Senior Stratmaster

Smoke and mirrors....

mshivy and Neil.C like this.

9. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

I'd pay $10,000 if only Abby could wind me a double creme PAF-

Bodean, gilmourstrat and Chont like this.

10. jstewart

jstewart Strat-O-Master

Feb 10, 2013
    Toluca Lake

11. Andy Wright

Andy Wright Strat-Talker

Jun 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Do they really sell for that much?

12. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I know a couple girls named Abby. I will get on this right away

mshivy and Bodean like this.

13. Deckard

Deckard Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Does this mean the pickups I have that Trixie McQuarkindale wound with pixie dust after a liquid lunch on a Friday are worth 10gs?

jeepguy242 likes this.

14. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Yeah, surely the experience and expertise of decades of experience at ground zero for Strats and Teles is all smoke and mirrors. I bet you guys rate your own job performance as top notch, though.

15. frpax

frpax Strat-Talker

Dec 19, 2013
    Nikolaev, Ukraine
    I've heard this more than once.

I have a friend that has some "A.Y." (initials only) pickups and they sound great. They would sound great without the initials, also.

My opinion is that it is only marketing hyperbole and nothing more. Tone comes more from the fingers and style of the player, than the person who operated the machine that day.

16. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-Talker

Jun 15, 2007
    CHARLOTTE, NC
    I'm not sure I want a 90 year old lady getting anywhere close to my Strat. Regardless of her experience.
    Having hung around my mom's senior center, I've seem how off balance they are and how long they take to eat lunch (around 3 hours),
    and the constant staring into space and slobbering.
    Just let the old gal retire already!!!

mshivy likes this.

17. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    It all depends on how much disposable income one has. I'm not spending $900 for a set of pickups, I don't care who wound them. I've done my fair share of pickup swaps and have found that the 2 guitars I have that have "mojo" came with stock pickups and were American made Fenders. I'd rather spend $900 on a guitar that's good-to-go as is.

If someone has lots of money and they would like to own a piece of History I have no issue with them buying Abby or Josefina pickups. It's your money so it's your choice! I wouldn't expect tonal miracles however, someone posted a sound-clip a few months back with noiseless pickups that sounded amazing because of his/her playing and rig. Noiseless Strat pickups are almost never associated with that "magic" Strat tone but in the right hands of one who has good ears, you can make almost anything sound like X, Y, or Z.

Just my $0.02.

mshivy likes this.

18. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Why do we buy into all this crap? Is it because we're stupid ( I actually can be) or is it because it's actually fun?

kris ford likes this.

19. Rialas

Rialas Strat-Talker

Mar 14, 2016
    London
    I have two standards.
    One has the a,y initialed pickups, and I can tell you it blows the other strat away, the other not even close in mojo.

Stratkins 51 likes this.

20. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2013
    USA
    Initialed ones are just supervised by her, signed "Abby" are ones she wound herself.

Whether it's worth the money or not, depends on what you think of her work.