Is My Guitar a Write Off?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by FelixV, Feb 12, 2020.

1. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

You were married to Pete Townsend? LOL JK,
    If it were mine, I'd repair and keep playing it just to piss her off... and have a story to tell about the guitars scars.

smithstrato, s5tuart and Miotch like this.
  2. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-O-Master

You seriously must have pissed her the hell off badly or she is bat s*** crazy lol

Sorry to hear and see, this sucks.

Headstock is an easy fix, most body damage looks like paint cracking and Fender’s paint is pretty damn thick and most times people think it’s the wood when it’s not. Honestly if you have a decent steady hand, clamps, Titebond and a little bit of simple knowledge you can easily glue this headstock back together. Remove the neck and check in the neck pocket and see how it looks. Put the neck back on and tighten everything down good, slap new strings on and give it a try. For that fret with damage you could take it to a local luthier and get it pulled and replaced and if the other frets are decent you’ll be good once they level the fret.

I think the guitar looks great even with the cracks and damage. It’ll for sure be a conversation piece when playing it around others and I think you’ll love it even more.

smithstrato, Miotch and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Just be lucky she didn’t try to off you. Been there, done that. Be happy she’s out of your life.

4. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-O-Master

Sorry to hear about (and see) the damage to the guitar. I think that's all pretty repairable, but would have concerns about the truss rod as others have mentioned. Either way fixing it up and being able to tell the backstory about how it came to be is pretty rock and roll if you ask me ;)

smithstrato and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Yes...if you ask me

why?
    -for the rotten memories
    -for the costs of getting it repaired and uncertainties on the end result.
    -playing time lost if trying to fix it yourself

6. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

I would just sell it to someone who wants a project and buy yourself something new. I think theres to much bad mojo in it from her. Best wishes whatever you decide:)

7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

This^^^^^

Jesse414 likes this.
  8. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

See if you can save the body. Remove the neck/pickguard and see if you can see cracks inside the body (not just the finish). If the cracks are inside the body, I'd call it game over

Assuming you can save the body, for $250 get a replacement neck from Warmoth or Musikraft,
    Get a finished one or roasted maple neck

If you can't save the body, then see if you can spend $600-750 on a used American Standard strat. Plenty available at this price range. Below that, there is plenty of Japanese fenders (which to be honest are just as good except for original pickups... you might get lucky and find one with upgraded pickups)

9. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You have to get it repaired, if only as an ‘up yours’ to the woman that did it!

Nick Evans and ezra1 like this.
  10. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

@FelixV what model Strat is this? I don't see any "country of origin" markings in the photos and don't want to assume.

Like I said before, the real issue is how you feel about it. The guitar will never have "like new" value again. The scars of this incident may become less obvious, but they'll always be there. If the scars on your guitar bring you down, well--your emotional health is more valuable than a guitar. Sell it as a project and cut your losses, get it out of your home, get a new guitar, and don't think about it anymore.

If on the other hand, making this guitar play again is healing for you, then you should repair it, or have it repaired. I have described what I think (from photos) the process would be. Even if the body is cracked through it can be fixed. Heck, you could refinish it and then it would (potentially) look like new again.

Stratwrangler and Miotch like this.
  11. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

Given that a set-up alone can change how a guitar sounds, I imagine a different neck or gluing this guitar back together may affect it's sound. Anything that affects how the strings resonate affects what the pickups can "hear". That's not to mean this can't be fixed and sound great, but that it's not the same guitar as before and it may or may not turn out. Kinda like building a partscaster.

12. hairy-dude

hairy-dude Strat-Talk Member

If this guitar had sentimental value to you BEFORE she smashed it, then I would fix it, just so your ex doesn't win. Even if you glue the headstock back together and hang it on the wall.

Personally, I would get it professionally assessed. Take it to a reputable tech and get a full quote. Let them have it for as long as they need to, so they can properly check it out. Then make an informed decision based on cost and sentiment.

simoncroft likes this.
  13. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Get it repaired and get back together with that crazy broad.

Buzzin_Cousin, wrvond and DeMelo like this.
  14. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Same pickups, wiring, pots and wood. It'll sound the same.

Setup makes a guitar play better. Only pickup height actually affects the sound to any detectable amount. Everything else is just effects heard only by bats and certain internet observers.

IMHO, blah blah...

Nick Evans likes this.
  15. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

"It was the weekend when we got in that fight
    She didn't like what I said, thought she'd make it right
    By grabbing my guitar and smashing it down
    Now she's in my backyard 6 feet underground."

Numbercruncher likes this.
  16. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

Different neck. Different wood. If none of that mattered, my guitars would all sound more alike than they do. Some guitars sound dead. Some alive. I'll agree to disagree.

17. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hello @FelixV. Welcome to Strat-Talk. You still here? :D

In the end, it's your guitar and it's up to you what you do with it. Someone has kindly given you the names of two guitar repairers in Wales. It won't cost you more than the price of a train ticket or some petrol to take your guitar to them to get estimates. If nothing else, you'll get a feel for how they intend to go about the job, as well as the associated cost.

Some people have advocated fixing it yourself. I guarantee you that all those people have the skills to do a decent job. If you are attracted to tackling this yourself, take a little time and ask yourself how much experience you have with fixing things. If you're the kind of guy who already has a selection of clamps, a working knowledge of different types of glue, and a general interest in making/fixing stuff, you can probably tackle this job with confidence.

(Whether the neck is going to make it, we can only guess. I'd say 'probably', if you do the repair right.)

If the only thing you've ever made was a speaker cab and it didn't turn out too well, I'd leave this one to the pros. Seriously, one thing repair techs hate (and I used to be one) is getting a job that has been made much worse by someone 'having a go at it themselves', meaning an hour trying to get Araldite off the pieces while trying not to do even more damage...

All this assumes you want your guitar back, as opposed to a Strat in nice condition. If it's the latter, I agree with those who say sell it to someone with more confidence in restoring it, and buy another. Without a lot of expensive refin work, this guitar is always going to look like a repair.

It's still a Strat though, so it has a value. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Stratwrangler, s5tuart and dirocyn like this.
  18. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

So true. If you do decide to attempt to repair it yourself, it might be the last attempt at a repair. If you're not confident, find someone knowledgeable and get a quote. Then you can decide what to do. Better to wait for a repair than to create a bigger mess that can't be undone.

19. CRobbins

CRobbins Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Get it fixed...And, dont look back.

[​IMG]

20. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525 Strat-Talk Supporter

Jeepers! You must of upset her big time!
    Could be worse I suppose. Me, I’d have set fire to it!

Andrew Wasson and smithstrato like this.