Is my neck angle wrong?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Fendrix, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Fendrix

Fendrix Strat-Talker

Hi All,

I’m currently struggling with my guitar.

String height at the 3rd fret is 1.5mm less than 4/64” and 2.2mm ( less than 6/64”) at the 12th fret with 0.07” relief.

it feels as if there isn’t enough string height at the first frets and It’s barely playable unless I put a lot of relief in the neck, like 0.14”. Also no matter how I set it up, it buzzes in random areas and action is currently quite high (6/64” at the 12th fret) so it should not buzz. There is far less buzz with a lot of relief, below 0.12” it starts to get nasty.

I suspect neck angle is wrong but I wanted to ask you guys about the difference in string height between the first and last frets with a little relief to see if that is normal?

thanks in advance.

2. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

It doesn't have to be the neck. It could be but it doesn't have to be.
    It could also be your bridge.
    For example, if your bridge floats and you recently switched to a lighter string gauge it could be the whole bridge is lower than normal which would behave just like a too-low neck angle issue.

Does any of that apply to your situation?

Fendrix likes this.
  3. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I never bother measuring at the 3rd fret but my G string is about 2/64's. At the 12th fret its a tad under 4/64's. I like it like that.

Fendrix likes this.
  4. Fendrix

Fendrix Strat-Talker

Many thanks, no.. my bridge is flush with with the body.

5. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

0.14" of relief.

Are you sure you don't mean 0.014"?

0.14 is more than an eighth of an inch.

Sarnodude, Triple Jim and Fendrix like this.
  6. rockon1

To add to my first post- somethings amiss though Im not sure what from the info provided. Your action preference seems quite high. Really shouldnt be much buzzing going on with it that high. Yes action gradually gets greater from the first fret to the last fret. What is the distance from the first fret to the strings?

Fendrix likes this.
  7. Fendrix

Fendrix Strat-Talker

Lol yea 0.014”

8. Fendrix

Fendrix Strat-Talker

[QUOTE="Yes action gradually gets greater from the first fret to the last fret. What is the distance from the first fret to the strings?[/QUOTE]

thanks , string height at the first fret is 0.5-0.6mm (0.0236") a bit over 1/64"

9. rockon1

A tad higher than I prefer but not excessive...

You said: "it feels as if there isn’t enough string height at the first frets and It’s barely playable unless I put a lot of relief in the neck:

Can you elaborate? For instance I measured 1/32 at the 3rd fret but I like the way that feels.

Fendrix likes this.
  10. Highway Chile

Highway Chile Strat-Talker

Neck relief is usually measured at the 7th fret. .010 or so is normal.

String height is usually measured at the 12 fret. 6/64 is just a touch high for the bass E string (Fender spec is 5/64) but very high for the treble E string.

Fendrix likes this.
  11. Fendrix

Fendrix Strat-Talker

yes, well I like to bend on the first 1-3 frets and the action feels really low under the fingers on the first frets.

12. Fendrix

Fendrix Strat-Talker

Right the thing is I cannot afford a fret levelling right now so I had to raise the saddles a lot to minimise buzz, I got used to the high action and I play fast but it's definitely not ideal.

13. rockon1

No set up is going to raise the strings much in that area. Higher nut action would help but would affect fretted notes if too high. Interesting though. I wonder how much nut height one can have before fretted notes start going sharp.I mean thats the only caveat to raising the nut height...

Fendrix likes this.
  14. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-O-Master

Just to make sure everyone is talking about the same thing. Here’s some the high end estimates of some basic stuff:
    -Guitar is tuned. Capo on the first fret, pressing on the low E string at the highest fret. Measuring the neck relief in the playing position at the highest point (7th fret-ish). Should be around 0.012” or 0.3mm.
    -After that remove capo, retune, and place the capo back onto the 1st fret. Measure/adjust string height on the low E to 4/64th inches (0.065” or 1.6mm).

Is the low E string ok after this? If so rinse repeat string height adjustments (not truss rod adjustments) on the high E string. Repeat with all strings if so.

The_Whale likes this.
  15. rockon1

He prefers higher action down near the nut for bends. The only thing I can think of is giving it higher than usual nut height.

The_Whale likes this.
  16. BuffaloHound

sorry. I didn’t mention that you’re measuring action/string height at the 17th fret while the capo is on the 1st fret.

Fendrix likes this.
  17. BuffaloHound

cool. Gotcha. I was trying to get him to do some basic measurements that avoided nut height/nut action so I could figure out what his big picture issue is. But I’m currently more interested in hoping the Steelers lose so this only has half my attention.
    I’ll reread later, but I think my points are good stuff for the OP to check out. And to make sure we are measuring in the same way.

The_Whale likes this.
  18. Fendrix

Fendrix Strat-Talker

A slightly higher nut and higher relief helps. I always try to have a light touch around the first frets so notes don’t go sharp.

19. Fendrix

Fendrix Strat-Talker

Will do that.

20. BuffaloHound

You said that the guitar buzzes in random areas.
    I think you should perform a basic set up to eliminate these issues before you start seeing how far you can “push” the set up (and the guitar’s level-ness of frets) to suit your playing style.
    Get a good clean basic set up, then incremental push stuff to suit you. See how much the guitar can take beyond the generic.

Fendrix likes this.