Is Steak a breakfast thing or a dinner thing....

Steak for Breakfast or Dinner

• Dinner

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Breakfast

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Lunch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anytime

Votes: 58 75.3%

• Total voters

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Steak seems a little too heavy in the morning, like it might slow me down or something.
I stick with the lighter breakfast foods.
Bacon, sausage links, sausage patties, pork roll, huge amounts of cheese. Cheese on everything. And a 3 egg omelet, with toast. None of that bagel crap, I'm watching my weight.
And if there's time.... some oatmeal.

Edit. Wtf.... I forgot scrapple!!! How could I forget scrapple. Look it up.

lmao.gif

I too have a problem with cheese. Mostly sharp cheddar.

There is always time for oatmeal. I have it everyday. Not the instant crap either. Sometimes basic rolled, sometime steel cut. I'll also blend both - did that today. Now that blueberries are in season I'll add plenty of those.

Scrapple? BarfMiniL.gif

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
Even though I try to limit the amount of red meat I consume these days, I have to say steak is frikkin great with steak. That’s right, more steak.
Yes.....

Steak!!!!!!!

If I could have tastes not just of different cuts.....like 3 different cuts.... But different cuts of different colors/cooking/quality ..........from different regions of the USA and other countries...........from all over the world!!!!

A WrestleMania of steaks that would be and one I would not soon forget!!!!!

abnormaltoy

Mouth draggin' knuckle breather
Apr 28, 2013
Tucson
A Philly area specialty! I'll get the occasionally chicken steak, but it is not the same. I miss them...

DO NOT use Steak-Umm! Not the real deal. They are finely chopped, then formed. Heresy.

What you want is actual thin sliced beef like the Landis to the right. The real deal.

View attachment 485556

The best Cheese Steak I've had was a little joint in Clarendon, Va called Angelo's. It was great, right out of an old SNL skit...they were Sicilian, I swear the only English they spoke was the menu.

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA
A Philly area specialty! I'll get the occasionally chicken steak, but it is not the same. I miss them...

DO NOT use Steak-Umm! Not the real deal. They are finely chopped, then formed. Heresy.

What you want is actual thin sliced beef like the Landis to the right. The real deal.

View attachment 485556

Wow
Steak um....
Haven't had them in years...
Gotta hit Safeway

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
The best Cheese Steak I've had was a little joint in Clarendon, Va called Angelo's. It was great, right out of an old SNL skit...they were Sicilian, I swear the only English they spoke was the menu.
Maybe. I'm going to go cork-sniffer here... Philadelphia is the sandwich capital of the US.

The cheesesteak is a decidedly Philly invention. The authentic roll is unique to Philly. Some think Cheez Whiz is the original - not true. Provolone was the original.

I'd guess the Sicilians had some connection with or direct knowledge of the Philly Italian food scene. They are super easy to make properly as long as you can find the proper rolls and sliced steak.

Oh man I want one now... :( I'll not give in, even though I'm quite good at making them.

Maybe I'll get the fixins' for a chicken cheesesteak... The sliced chicken is made exactly like a Steak-Umm. I have never seen an analog to the actual authentic sliced beef.

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
Wow
Steak um....
Haven't had them in years...
Gotta hit Safeway
Thom no!!!!!????!!??

Okay okay........... nevermind....PROPS for being more of a bad ass THAN ME FOR NOT HAVING STEAK IN YEARS!!!!!!!

I myself am working on not quiting steak/beef entirely because I love a good a steak/beef but consciously cutting back with good responsible measure :)

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA
Thom no!!!!!????!!??

Okay okay........... nevermind....PROPS for being more of a bad ass THAN ME FOR NOT HAVING STEAK IN YEARS!!!!!!!

I myself am working on not quiting steak/beef entirely because I love a good a steak/beef but consciously cutting back with good responsible measure :)
Eat everything and anything
Just not the same thing every day...
Except maybe rolled oats
5 days a week(me)

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Eat everything and anything
Just not the same thing every day...
Except maybe rolled oats
5 days a week(me)
Another oat fan! I have it nearly every day.

No steel cut? They take longer to cook, unless you soak them overnight in water. Much like you would beans.

The soaked have better finished texture too.

Bob's are better than the stuff in the round canisters. I'll get organic sometimes depending what is in stock. NEVER instant!

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/oats/steel-cut-oats.html

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/oats/regular-rolled-oats.html

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/oats/thick-rolled-oats.html

monte merrick

Most Honored Senior Member
Steak seems a little too heavy in the morning, like it might slow me down or something.
I stick with the lighter breakfast foods.
Bacon, sausage links, sausage patties, pork roll, huge amounts of cheese. Cheese on everything. And a 3 egg omelet, with toast. None of that bagel crap, I'm watching my weight.
And if there's time.... some oatmeal.

Edit. Wtf.... I forgot scrapple!!! How could I forget scrapple. Look it up.
cooking scrapple properly is the best way to learn how to fry tofu.

longboard blues

Senior Stratmaster
May 13, 2019
Victorian goldfields
cooking scrapple properly is the best way to learn how to fry tofu.

How so? I've just found a definition of scrapple, and am sitting here heaving like my cat when she has a hairball....Hurk.. hurk....

I can't see where in that awful, awful recipe tofu would fit.

cooking tofu - dredge in cornflour and spices, fry gently in oil .

Scrapple - "mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf,"

the words "mush" and "congealed" are bad enough, even without the mystery meat component.

abnormaltoy

Apr 28, 2013
Tucson
Maybe. I'm going to go cork-sniffer here... Philadelphia is the sandwich capital of the US.

The cheesesteak is a decidedly Philly invention. The authentic roll is unique to Philly. Some think Cheez Whiz is the original - not true. Provolone was the original.

I'd guess the Sicilians had some connection with or direct knowledge of the Philly Italian food scene. They are super easy to make properly as long as you can find the proper rolls and sliced steak.

Oh man I want one now... :( I'll not give in, even though I'm quite good at making them.

Maybe I'll get the fixins' for a chicken cheesesteak... The sliced chicken is made exactly like a Steak-Umm. I have never seen an analog to the actual authentic sliced beef.

Whether it's Mexican food, thai food, or cheese steak I don't care if it's original I just like the one I like best. I've been to Philly, literally decades ago...and I had some good sandwiches, and for craps sake no wiz.
It's entirely possible, that whatever the first one you eat of any particular type of food becomes your favorite, or at least the standard by which you measure others.

abnormaltoy

Apr 28, 2013
Tucson
How so? I've just found a definition of scrapple, and am sitting here heaving like my cat when she has a hairball....Hurk.. hurk....

Scrapple - "mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf,"

the words "mush" and "congealed" are bad enough, even without the mystery meat component.

Well my brother, I will have scrapple with breakfast I've had fried scrapple sandwiches I've had deep fried scrapple.It's kind of funny I talk about things that are an acquired taste and how my rule is if it doesn't taste good the first time I don't eat it a second time, scrapple was an instant hit with me as a little boy. I understand that is not a universal feeling, but that's okay it only means more for me. :)

monte merrick

Most Honored Senior Member

silken tofu and scrapple have roughty the same consistency, also packaged similarly. and if you can get your scrapple to get a crispy side without sticking to the pan, youre ready for frying silken tofu. I dont recommend eating the scrapple. tofu, on the other hand is limited only by your imagination.

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
Well my brother, I will have scrapple with breakfast I've had fried scrapple sandwiches I've had deep fried scrapple.It's kind of funny I talk about things that are an acquired taste and how my rule is if it doesn't taste good the first time I don't eat it a second time, scrapple was an instant hit with me as a little boy. I understand that is not a universal feeling, but that's okay it only means more for me. :)
If they look like anything like this......count me in!!!!

1371611819921.jpeg

06dfdd7667b4d53a0dc181752ea1af9b

Pork-and-Eggs-Breakfast-Sandwich.jpg

586565e73c15b.image.jpg

9daf112e5f77ede6daab7854e622c078.jpg

post_3791339.jpeg