1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Is The Guitar Hero Dead?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Mike B, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Mike B

Mike B Strat-Talk Member

Be interesting to hear your thoughts.

train and Guitarmageddon like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Yes, he passed away on October 6, 2020....but for real, I will watch your video... :) Thanks Mike.

Boognish, Mike B, CB91710 and 4 others like this.
  3. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

No. Still lots of out there, and many more to come.

4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

The guitar hero will never die, but the role of the guitar hero in popular music may be minimal at this time.

stratmister, ibdrkn1, Stevn and 9 others like this.
  5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

In popular culture, yes.. for now. That could change any year.

there is not one person who is massively popular in pop culture with the younger generation, that focuses on guitar soloing.

in 5 years, whoever decides these things can decide that guitar playing is cool again, who knows.
    A lot of things come back around, eventually.
    Guitar is still cool in country and metal, at least.

Pandamasque, Danny D and Stonetone like this.
  6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

...and while I am at it, I sure hope the trend toward soloing in a manner that is integral to the song continues to rise as we continue to phase out that old cliche of "Ok, silence, pause, tom roll into solo!!!!!

Stevn and Danny D like this.
  7. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Silver Member

I have my thoughts on the matter. Without going into much detail that would get this thread shut down, I will say that I truly fear that he is. The idea of on person in a mainstream band being the focus has been out the window for quite some time now from what I have seen. It started when boybands became a big deal and everyone had to have the spotlight for a part of the show and not just one main singer with a backup group. That was also when the instrumentalists were shoved back into the wings of the stage, if they were even on the stage at all.
    Again, Just my opinion.

mjea80 and Baelzebub like this.
  8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I don't think your ideas on the evolution really align with historical reality. I mean, singers had the stage for many decades while ALL the instrumentalists were shoved to the back. That occurred long before boy bands. When you go do see Sinatra, you go to see SINATRA.

Stevn, hogrider16, Anacharsis and 2 others like this.
  9. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Nothing ever dies...just cycles and waits for its return...that is true for ideas,politics,fashion,guitar...everything.A guitar hero was never extremely popular to begin with but still survived and ll continue to survive.....maybe in different forms like the one of a popular youtuber waiting for its return in more mainstream channels....

10. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Silver Member

I stated it incorrectly. I meant to say they were put back there again in the mainstream music. for a while the instrumental band was as important to the crowd as the singer too. which is why we ended up with the guitar hero, bass hero, drum hero. I understand that trends come and go but I really struggle to see this one coming again.

Stonetone likes this.
  11. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

There are some fantastic ensembles doing instrumental music these days in prog, math rock, funk. Loads of chops and some soloing but mostly just multiple players killing it. I like it.

Stevn likes this.
  12. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I agree.

Stratbats, Stonetone and Believer7713 like this.
  13. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

I watched the Billboard Music awards last weekend, I would say that the music industry is dead.

There are plenty of very talented guitarist out there, there just is no industry that supports them.

RHL87, mjea80, Stevn and 3 others like this.
  14. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

My hero is Jimmy Page. I thought this was cool. Pretty guitar hero-ish.Some may not. Ymmv.

Stonetone likes this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

There's this newfangled thing called "Instagram" that all the kids seem to be into these days...

nickmsmith likes this.
  16. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

There is an old thing called YOUTUBE that is filled with players with chops doing all manner of amazing stuff. The heros have their own kind of environment in which to do their thing. There are a LOT of them and many are very high quality so they must have some support and be able to make a living.

Maybe everything is moving to "gig economy." My son hopes to pursue a music degree but has decided he does not want to be a music educator in the school systems and if he goes that route, he will have to have multiple revenue streams: teaching private lessons, gigs, maybe doing drum tracks to order, a Youtube channel, perhaps session work.... Mind you, I am not saying he can do all that, it's just thoughts regarding how a good player would have to go about making a living.

Stevn and bgmacaw like this.
  17. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Id say Dave Grohl qualifies as a guitar hero.

mjea80 and Boognish like this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

What's that? I can't get it to work on my Windows 95 PC or my flip phone.

The main thing is that they want to be an "influencer", today's version of the star.

19. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

But next to none of them are household names. There is an incredible amount of talent, but most of the young guitar virtuosos aren’t selling out arenas like they were in the 60s-80s.

Paignton boy and soulman969 like this.
  20. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Because of my kid, my VERY NEAR ADULT KID OMG HE WILL BE AN ADULT VERY SOON, I have seen loads of the Youtubers that I would not have ever gone out and found. Obviously, I have not randomly sampled but many of them are flat out ass kicking players and not trying to be anything else. It's interesting in that some of the really odd ones, that you say "what the hell are they doing" and if you get interested and look stuff up, they have gone to prestigious music schools.