1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Is The Guitar Hero Dead?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Mike B, Oct 17, 2020.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Not really we just hear less of them now in mainstream pop and rock radio stations or streaming services structured for a much different market than was the case 20 or 30 years ago.

We're no longer hearing them 24/7 on radio so we have to seek harder to find them and their work. I don't find much programmed stuff worth listening to any longer. It's a wasteland for me.

Stonetone likes this.
  2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Sure. But they do have an outlet, they do have followings, they are able to monetize.

Different economy, maybe? When you think about that period 60s - 80s there was really no alternative means of reaching people.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

But those acts in the 60's didn't have a million followers on Instagram or 200 million views on YouTube.

Keep in mind that popular influencers will make substantial amounts of money with an audience about the size of arena show. Plus, they get the free products and other promotional perks.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

True, they get exposure, but they don’t get the benefit of being ubiquitous, unlike Drake, Post Malone, etc. that everyone in their teens and 20s know. Like EVH and Hendrix in their respective eras.
    In that regard, guitar gods are dead, but they can still have respectable careers.. just more under the radar in the general consciousness.

and just IMO, being well known to a big portion of the country’s youth is a big part of what made them legends.

even here on ST, the vast majority of the guitar gods we mention are people who are in their 40s or much older.

blues and jazz certainly aren’t dead either, but the days of megastars that everyone knows in these genres is long gone.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Stonetone likes this.
  5. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

I for one would say yes the guitar hero is dead (October 6 2020), while true there are a lot of talented guitar players out there most are instagramers and youtubers and for me their music does not move me, not in the ways my classic guitar heros do, like EVH, Page, Iommi, Marino, Rhodes, Gilmour, Santana, Satriani, Vai, etc etc....

Stone

mone and nickmsmith like this.
  6. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Yes. He got drowned in some WAP

nickmsmith likes this.
  7. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-Talker

Depends which one.

TP

rockon1 likes this.
  8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Maybe...
    Maybe not
    We tend to use the words hero and friend too loosely....

UMmmmmmmmmmm......
    Nowadays...

9. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

john mayer may be the drone you are looking for.

bgmacaw likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

There have always been only a very few guitarists, especially those who didn't also sing, who were what you would ubiquitous. For every EVH and Hendrix there a dozens of great players like Steve Vai or Scotty Moore who few non-guitar players knew about.

nickmsmith likes this.
  11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

I was thinking Joe "Buy My Merch" Bonamassa was a good example too.

But, John Mayer knows how to appeal to both guitar players and womenfolk...

mone and henderman like this.
  12. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

For the most part ... it’s dead. Not that it can’t happen again. Some kid is in his room or paying his dues in some club somewhere with an original idea. Or and original way of using old ideas in a fresh way. But for right now it’s dead. Young people have more things to do then play guitar. It is what it is.

We can blame ourselves for it in a way. It became a shoot out... fastest gun in the West thing instead of making music for people to enjoy. Guitar Playing became a industry unto it’s self. We had magazines and companies bending over backward to sell stuff just to us. “Here is a Talent pedal sonny”. We still have companies that cater to our every whim. If you can afford it.

Oh I’m guilty too... I’ll buy anything I can afford if it makes people think I can play.

And I think we forgot to make the girls dance. Almost every person you consider a true Guitar God... sold a lot of records... not just to guitar players. To girls and kids and various other groups of people. Led Zeppelin, Cream, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, and the Mighty Van Halen sold tons of records to all kinds of people. So did Guns & Roses and the Red Hot Chill Peppers. Did the business change and say “ We don’t need them guitar players no more”. and they just use Pop Singers (like a steady rotation of the same thing with a different name and look every few months) cause it’s easier to manage. Or did we play ourselves out of the market.

I don’t know Hoss. I guess my life in a cover band is secure as long as the boss thinks having a old guy that can smoke up the joint is a cool thing to have around.

13. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

Yup. Doornail. Expired. Deadsville.

nickmsmith likes this.
  14. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Not to the guitar player.

MagnusR likes this.
  15. train

train Strat-Talker Silver Member

Girl bands .

16. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

one can only hope... i've never seen the "guitar hero" as particularly useful.

17. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Does Ed Sheeran count... he’s probably the most successful guitar player currently

nickmsmith likes this.
  18. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Without a doubt. They seem to edit out his (honestly pretty tasty) solos out of his hits on the radio. He’s not a shredder by any means, but he is a capable player, an excellent songwriter and singer, and he has the rare charm to where people of every age from kids to old women love him.

machine gun Kelly and Post Malone are rappers who have started to incorporate rock guitar (MGKs new music is almost a carbon copy of early 2000s pop punk) for better or worse.

19. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Strat-O-Master

I think they are still out there. They're just no longer the main focus and mainstream music no longer requires it.

20. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Guitar heroes are the the reason many people fell in love with guitar.....Guitar heroes are also the reason many of them got dissapointed and quit guitar.....They can evoke love and hate in serious amounts... so its safe to say they are not going anywhere...;).